Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
fender_696
UG's Lincolner

Teaching as a Profession

I have been considering going to into teaching after I have finished my Masters.

My reasons:
1. I would feel like I'd be providing an actual proper service and could make a positive impact on the lives of young people.
2. It's not an office job!
3. There is potential for travel within the occupation, as well as promotion (particularly being male. Whether this sounds bad or not, junior schools are crying out for male teachers).
4. The holidays would allow me to travel, external of work, more than normal jobs.

Now, I don't have much experience in the field, and would definitely go into pre-Secondary School teaching, so, for English people, Primary or Junior School.

Anyone have any experience teaching younger people? Work experience? Jobs in schools etc.?

How stressful is it? Do you find beneficial? Would you recommend it?

Thanks.
i'm happy for you

Befriend The Cromwells (my band). You know you want to:

https://soundcloud.com/acromwell
fender_696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
whoomit

Country?

Edit: Ah, UK.

My dad was a teacher for 30+ years, retired a couple years back. He's really glad he got out when he did. Resources are being cut left, right, ann centre. Some rules that are being brought in are ridiculous as well from what I've heard. The amount of extra time you have to do without pay sounds awful as well.

Saying that, if you think you're up to it I think you should do it.

Last edited by whoomit : 11-25-2012 at 08:21 AM.
whoomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
jjfeu662
Celestia

Unless you really like kids and hate getting paid good money, I wouldn't recommend it.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Mistress_Ibanez

I'm a teacher and can answer any questions you have.

I'm in secondary English. The marking load is intense, as is planning. It is the second most stressful job in the world, but very rewarding.

A lot of what you do is "extra" that is needed to make the job function, like calling parents after hours, bringing in food for children that can't afford breakfast, hunting down free school uniforms for children whose parents can't afford to clothe them, separating fights or consoling a crying child in your lunch break, filling in incident reports any time a fight breaks out, etc etc.

Hope I can answer any questions about teaching that you have though.

Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez : 11-25-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
LostLegion
resurrected

My mum does resource teaching in a primary school. She used to teach a class but then she just moved to the resource teaching. I've never seen her really stressed out and the only work I've seen her really doing at home was just typing out policies and stuff since she is also the assistant principal. And she loves her job to bits.

LostLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
rabidguitarist
Ethnomusicologist

I have 6 young piano students in one school and a group of 12 adults in another- it's well paid by the working hour, but there's a lot of preparation to do. Time just evaporates when you're planning lessons. I'm hoping to take on a new place this week, and I'm anxious.

You seriously need to get some experience before you finish your course- if you don't have any experience or a teaching qualification then no employer will be interested in you. Once you can put something on your CV, you'll start getting the calls.

I only teach for about 13 hours a week, so I've got it easy in comparison to someone like Mistress Ibanez who is full time, and even I can tell you that it's extremely stressful. It's not like an office job or a shop job where you do your work and go home, you have so much responsibility- parents are always after feedback and children find it difficult to pay attention, you're constantly pushing against the current to meet deadlines, and after a while all you can think about in your spare time is the progress of your students.

Would I recommend it?

Obviously, yes. It's not a selfish job- it's not like going 'volunteering' for short term and pretending to be of use in return for a 'rewarding experience', it's about working hard to make sure that your students get the best education, for the sake of their own futures. You'll probably feel momentarily proud if you get a moment to step back and appreciate what you're doing, but most of the time it's deadlines, exams, homework and reports.
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
rabidguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Stugg334
Bristolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez

I'm in secondary English. The marking load is intense, as is planning. It is the second most stressful job in the world, but very rewarding.

A lot of what you do is "extra" that is needed to make the job function, like calling parents after hours, bringing in food for children that can't afford breakfast, hunting down free school uniforms for children whose parents can't afford to clothe them, separating fights or consoling a crying child in your lunch break, filling in incident reports any time a fight breaks out, etc etc.

What's the most stressful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Stugg334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
theogonia777
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugg334

Being a womyn in this world of male opression, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Mistress_Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugg334

Air traffic controller.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Philip_pepper
Banned

Quote:

That's pretty interesting.

I'm going for a different profession but sometimes I have teaching swimming around in the back of my head. I always tell myself that I would like it, but I think I could be hugely underestimating the profession.

Quote:
Air traffic controller.

Well, shit.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
andyscoot
UG Senior Member

I have teachers in the family. It's a very rewarding job if you're into it. Primary teaching is 10x harder than secondary. A lot more out of hours work involved.
andyscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Mistress_Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyscoot
I have teachers in the family. It's a very rewarding job if you're into it. Primary teaching is 10x harder than secondary. A lot more out of hours work involved.

Not true. The amount of teaching time in a day for primary is significantly lower than secondary. Teachers only have to deal with one class - I have 9 classes.

The intellectual challenge is also considerably lower. You don't really have to revise your old university lecture notes before teaching Year 1.

(well - when you consider subject knowledge. I accept that the intellectual challenge of simplifying complex ideas to a 5-year-old level is much more significant)

If anyone is interested in the day-to-day of teaching I could talk through what I usually do on a daily basis. It's mostly telling kids off though probably
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
AJScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender_696
2. It's not an office job!

I work at a college.

Yes it is.

Just during the time spent at your desk doing paperwork you teach.
AJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
andyscoot
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Not true. The amount of teaching time in a day for primary is significantly lower than secondary. Teachers only have to deal with one class - I have 9 classes.

The intellectual challenge is also considerably lower. You don't really have to revise your old university lecture notes before teaching Year 1.

(well - when you consider subject knowledge. I accept that the intellectual challenge of simplifying complex ideas to a 5-year-old level is much more significant)

If anyone is interested in the day-to-day of teaching I could talk through what I usually do on a daily basis. It's mostly telling kids off though probably

I don't mean to offend, I'm just going off what family and friends seem to do and the difference. My mother hardly ever brings home work and she teaches in secondary school and my sister is swamped with work until 11:30 most nights and she teaches year 6. I suppose it depends on the school and the classes you teach?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
Stugg334
Bristolian

Quote:
I don't mean to offend, I'm just going off what family and friends seem to do and the difference. My mother hardly ever brings home work and she teaches in secondary school and my sister is swamped with work until 11:30 most nights and she teaches year 6. I suppose it depends on the school and the classes you teach?

Maybe your ma's more efficient, or she works during all her lunch and free's or whatever. Or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Stugg334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
andyscoot
UG Senior Member

Trust me, she dosen't
Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
fender_696
UG's Lincolner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJScott
I work at a college.

Yes it is.

Just during the time spent at your desk doing paperwork you teach.
OK then, let me rephrase...

It's not SOLELY an office job.

Better?
i'm happy for you

Befriend The Cromwells (my band). You know you want to:

https://soundcloud.com/acromwell
fender_696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Mistress_Ibanez

Quote:

That makes sense - your mother is presumably quite experienced so can just refer to previous plans and tweak them when she is planning. I expect your sister is planning everything from scratch. It is normal for younger teachers to work until midnight most nights.

Year 6 is also very tricky because you have to catch them up on all the skills they've missed in years 1-5 to make them pass their SATs.

We get a lot of children through to secondary whose SATs scores are completely made up. It's shocking the amount of pressure Year 6 teachers are under to get those results.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
MAC2322
UG's Twilight Sparkle

Quote:
That makes sense - your mother is presumably quite experienced so can just refer to previous plans and tweak them when she is planning. I expect your sister is planning everything from scratch. It is normal for younger teachers to work until midnight most nights.

Year 6 is also very tricky because you have to catch them up on all the skills they've missed in years 1-5 to make them pass their SATs.

We get a lot of children through to secondary whose SATs scores are completely made up. It's shocking the amount of pressure Year 6 teachers are under to get those results.

I would very much like to hear about what your day as a teacher is like and the kind of things that you have to do.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
Being a womyn in this world of male opression, obviously.

I lul'd.

BUCKY
JustRooster is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: