Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Which is the morally correct option?
It is right to kill the one for the five in both situations, but I could not push the fat man 49 44.55%
It is right to kill the one for the five, and I could push the fat man (psychopath) 41 37.27%
It is not right to kill the one for the five in either situation 20 18.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #61
jp_cheif

But what about the passengers on the train? Did anyone count them? Anywho if the fat person is a chick then I will do Humanity the favor.
jp_cheif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #62
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
I'm reiterating the point to show that people who say 'Yeah, I'd just kill the fattie' are ******s.

If you're out to prove all the internet tough guys as ******s then I've got news for you, budday. >_>
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #63
papershredder
‎ ͜ ͡

I think it would be morally wrong to kill the fattie because it should be their decision whether or not to sacrifice their self for the people on the track... by pushing them you're taking away that right. You wouldn't jump yourself, so it makes sense that only a psychopath would push the fattie.
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
papershredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #64
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_cheif
But what about the passengers on the train? Did anyone count them? Anywho if the fat person is a chick then I will do Humanity the favor.

It was recently pointed out that the video didn't bring the passengers into the equation. I say, since the video didn't mention it, then we presume no harm can be done to people in the train. Assume it's automated and only carries cargo.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #65
strat0blaster
growing out of the snake

This is not a dilemma. Life is life, equally valuable. Re-directing the train to kill one saves the lives of four. Kill one instead of five.

I don't see why this is a hard choice, provided you've no alternative but to make it. All things being equal, the route that spares the most lives is the better one. But that's all things being equal.

If the train driver was an innocent man who just lost control of a train or there was some sort of malfunction, and the people on the track were rapists, things would be dramatically different.

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
show
strat0blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #66
whywefight
would you kindly

Quote:
Originally Posted by papershredder
I think it would be morally wrong to kill the fattie because it should be their decision whether or not to sacrifice their self for the people on the track... by pushing them you're taking away that right. You wouldn't jump yourself, so it makes sense that only a psychopath would push the fattie.

For some reason, I think that there is something slightly comical about frantically trying to convince a fat person to jump in front of a train to save five people.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #67
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
This is not a dilemma. Life is life, equally valuable. Re-directing the train to kill one saves the lives of four. Kill one instead of five.

I don't see why this is a hard choice, provided you've no alternative but to make it. All things being equal, the route that spares the most lives is the better one. But that's all things being equal.

If the train driver was an innocent man who just lost control of a train or there was some sort of malfunction, and the people on the track were rapists, things would be dramatically different.

All agreed.

Now would you push the fat guy?

Covers:
Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #68
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:

If you want to be utilitarian about things then I urge you to go take out a donor card and then kill yourself in a low-impact manner. And on your way you should kill everyone you know who has a donor card. You're guaranteed to save more people than you kill.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #69
Hydra150
not so cowardly

tbh, if people being hit by a train in real life react like they do in Red Dead Redemption, I'd probably just grab some popcorn and have a seat.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #70
TooktheAtrain
Banned

I like this type of scenario. Even if we accept the majority takes precedent it does not necessarily follow that in this scenario we should spare the 5 at the expense of the 1.

Suppose the one was in fact on the brink of discovering uncharted scientific territory which would save millions? Or more within the realms of plausibility, what if he (or she) was a neonatal surgeon, an oncologist, or a diplomat who might at some point become instrumental in averting war?

What if the 5 were in fact detrimental to the survival of the many, being violent psychopaths or suchlike?

Part of the problem in answering such a scenario is we know nothing about the people involved. This means any answer is unsatisfactory because all of the current arguments are predicated on assumptions for which we have little basis.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #71
LZRocker
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
I like this type of scenario. Even if we accept the majority takes precedent it does not necessarily follow that in this scenario we should spare the 5 at the expense of the 1.

Suppose the one was in fact on the brink of discovering uncharted scientific territory which would save millions? Or more within the realms of plausibility, what if he (or she) was a neonatal surgeon, an oncologist, or a diplomat who might at some point become instrumental in averting war?

What if the 5 were in fact detrimental to the survival of the many, being violent psychopaths or suchlike?

Part of the problem in answering such a scenario is we know nothing about the people involved. This means any answer is unsatisfactory because all of the current arguments are predicated on assumptions for which we have little basis.

That's the point buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
LZRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #72
TooktheAtrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZRocker
That's the point buddy.

I know. I was responding to those who have said the obvious choice is to spare the 5.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #73
strat0blaster
growing out of the snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
If you want to be utilitarian about things then I urge you to go take out a donor card and then kill yourself in a low-impact manner. And on your way you should kill everyone you know who has a donor card. You're guaranteed to save more people than you kill.

What a stupid comment. I said, quite clearly, that my statement applied in the instance that the decision was forced and unavoidable, hence the 'provided you've no alternative but to make it' part.

Your entire rebuttal is based solely on choosing to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
All agreed.

Now would you push the fat guy?

Again, one to five. Yep.

Again, this is assuming that all things are equal here, and they're all decent people.

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
show

Last edited by strat0blaster : 11-25-2012 at 01:37 PM.
strat0blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #74
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Why can't I hold all these variables?
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #75
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain

The point is to not have assumptions, sir. We don't know anything about them, and we're not supposed to. It ruins the whole experiment if we know anything about these people because then we have an emotional difference in the value of these people, and we're not supposed to for the sake of the experiment.

Covers:
Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #76
FireFromTheVoid
Onepunch-Man

Its simple for a reason, its not a trick question to get you to kill the passengers or save a group of rapist for a super scientist.

Plus nobody has pointed out why in the world you would think a fat guy would stop a train.
Ain't got nothin on cancer, son
#cancer

One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

FireFromTheVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #77
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Again, one to five. Yep.

Again, this is assuming that all things are equal here, and they're all decent people.

Now, do you simply think that it would be the right thing to do? Or do you actually think that you would do it? There is a difference...

As the video points out, many of us will agree that it is the right thing to do, but few of us actually would do it.

Covers:
Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #78
whywefight
would you kindly

If the point is to cancel out as many variables and assumptions as possible, then I don't see how it isn't more morally correct to save the five.

To actually add something, this thread needs a poll.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #79
eGraham
Logjammin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lushacrous
He's saying big words and I'm not comprehending them because his hair is stupid and he has a giant forehead.

Yes

I am an equal opportunity banner
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #80
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
What a stupid comment. I said, quite clearly, that my statement applied in the instance that the decision was forced and unavoidable, hence the 'provided you've no alternative but to make it' part.

Your entire rebuttal is based solely on choosing to do so.

The death of people who don't get organs in time is certain and unavoidable. The only situation is only forced if you decide to take action, if you don't then you are merely a spectator with absolutely no reason to feel guilty about it.

If you want a forced situation, my organ argument is based on a rival to the train argument which I adumbrated earlier in the thread: there are five people in a hospital who will die in an hour if they don't get the organs they need, and in the waiting room is a man of the right blood type who could be easily harvested from. Do you kill the man in order to save the five? This is absolutely no different to the train argument; it simply removes the fact that in the train argument people can cower behind the 'yucky' side of killing someone - pushing someone into a train doesn't seem quite the same as cutting them up for their organs.

Choice is the key factor, and the choice is not 'kill one or kill five', it's 'kill one or accept that five people are going to die through no fault of your own'.

Rate This Thread: