Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
slayer_rule_\m/
RIP Rashad

Cutting my little finger when upstroking?! (am i just a moron?)

Recently I've been playing in a reggae/dub kinda band, and I notice sometimes when I upstroke I somehow manage to catch the very bottom of my little finger on the 1st string! Sometimes it's actually cut me.
I wonder what I'm actually doing wrong? Is my technique wrong? Is the angle I play at wrong? Are my maniacal upstrokes just too damn out of control!?

Help and advice would be much appreciated on this matter, we have an audition for a college gig on Thursday and I don't fancy cutting myself then.
slayer_rule_\m/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
chronoterror

It ain't rock 'n' roll until you bleed. Play through the pain; wear the bloodstains on your guitar as a badge of honor.
chronoterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
B&J

I supposse you play with a pick.... i have said this before and i'll say it again. Stone picks rule the world. Since they dont give in, you have to use proper technique or your playing will sound like some dude hitting the strings with a stone pick. When you get used to that, pick up any pick and you will sound golden. But you probably will love the sound of the stone pick.
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
slayer_rule_\m/
RIP Rashad

Haha it's never really painful and I don't really give a toss about getting bloody really It's more just the case of 'How come no one else does this!?' haha, just wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
I supposse you play with a pick.... i have said this before and i'll say it again. Stone picks rule the world. Since they dont give in, you have to use proper technique or your playing will sound like some dude hitting the strings with a stone pick. When you get used to that, pick up any pick and you will sound golden. But you probably will love the sound of the stone pick.

You mean one of these?

Last edited by slayer_rule_\m/ : 11-24-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
B&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer_rule_\m/
Haha it's never really painful and I don't really give a toss about getting bloody really It's more just the case of 'How come no one else does this!?' haha, just wonder what I'm doing wrong?

You mean one of these?

lollllllllll sure i did.. Now TS play guitar with that thing and you will rule the world. And you will kill guitars. Which should be a federal crime by now.
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
J_W

Change the position of your pinky. Are you making a fist when strumming or are you leaving your hand sort of open?
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
slayer_rule_\m/
RIP Rashad

Erm maybe sort of more open...but not completly, it's more of a half fist?

Rate This Thread: