Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
FunkyJunky99

Building off riffs?

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years. Never took lessons, just learned through the internet and simply just jammin to a beat.... I'm trying to start creating some songs.. I can make up some decent riffs, but im having trouble building off those riffs, like blending the riff into another riff or something .. just looking for some advice, or maybe an article on this somewhere... help would be appreciated
FunkyJunky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Akula KO
Folk Metal is Alive!!!

I suppose people will say that you must learn music theory and then it'll be easier. They're probably right but I've never learned theory at all.

I suggest that you look at some musicians you like. Listen to their music and see how they do transitions. Improvise from what you observe.

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
Akula KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
coolbian57

Good advice, I believe what Akula meant to say is if you're stuck at a transition, maybe look at other songs for inspiration (in the same key??) and analyze how they do their transitions.

Music theory could help you figure out all of the possible transitions (of which there are hundreds if not thousands); for example it could show you all the different keys and chords you could modulate to.
coolbian57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: