Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
pepelepew040

"Silent" Guitar Cables

Hey everyone, I'm wondering what makes a "silent" or "noiseless" guitar cable different from your run of the mill cable. Less static overall, when you unplug, etc??
any sort of answer is very helpful. Thanks!
pepelepew040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Ones that cut off sound when you unplug so you can safely change guitars without turning your amp off.

Upright fretted electric bass build!

Last edited by Wisthekiller : 11-26-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepew040
Hey everyone, I'm wondering what makes a "silent" or "noiseless" guitar cable different from your run of the mill cable. Less static overall, when you unplug, etc??
any sort of answer is very helpful. Thanks!

i 'silent' guitar cable is a unicorn. doesn't exist.

there are lots of way to combat noise in a cable, most of them have to do with sending a balanced signal over the cable (to cancel noise), these would be tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) cable or XLR cable (mic cables). but guitar cables don't allow for these conveniences.

if you want to limit noise then choose shorter cables. some cables that claim to help eliminate noise are cables with extra shielding and/or better conductive material (gold for example). the amount of performance increase you get from this is quite minimal.

if i pay more for a cable, it is usually for any [lifetime] warranty it may come with.

what is the specific problem you'd like to address?

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

"noiseless" or "low-noise" guitar cable is usually referring to handling noise. Lots of lower end cables don't have a nice jacket around the wire and braid, and you suffer from handling noise. Any noise canceling I have noticed comes from the type of pickup configuration you have, rather than changing cables themselves.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
mmolteratx
UG God

Silent usually refers to a spring loaded tip that grounds the signal when it's unplugged from the guitar. So no noise when switching guitars.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
Phil Starr

There's a little possibility for confusion here. Noiseless cable is just better quality cable which makes a lot less noise than some of the cheaper stuff, unbelievable some guitar leads are made of cable that is microphonic and makes a noise every time you handle it.

Silent leads have a plug (made by Neutrik) with a built in magnetic reed switch which as the guy above says shorts out the earth and tip of the plug. You can pick up the plug for about 5 in the UK or a ready made lead for about 15. If you play live then I personally wouldn't use anything else.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

honestly i wouldn't pay a dime for a cable that doesn't make noise when you put it in the guitar. get a tuner, my pitchblack silences anything so if i need to do something i just engage it. if you are gigging IMO you should have a solid pedal tuner, the clip-on tuners aren't bad, but i have had two break on me, so i got the pitchblack. silences and you can use it to tune.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: