Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #41
some_dude_2

I don't like having a lot of options to choose from. I'm the kind of guy that if I had two overdrives on my pedalboard I'd spend hours A/Bing them instead of playing anything that resembled a song.

My setup is guitar -> wah -> amp with a delay in the loop.
some_dude_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #42
Akula KO
Folk Metal is Alive!!!

My stuff is as simple as it gets but that's just because I'm broke. I don't really like the idea of thousands of pedals and complex set ups. Maybe a noise gate, a distortion pedal, and maybe a pedal of your choosing (reverb, chorus, whatever) if you're feeling adventurous. I like simplicity in all things.

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
Akula KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #43
epicrate

I once was that "Guy" that took 4 guitars 2 amps and a dozen pedals to every practice, Played with a guy that had the same problem, We write a bunch of songs and get hooked up with some locals musicians and go play some gigs,

One night we're playing a local spot and our very own local "HAS BEEN/NEVER REALLY WAS" rock star is there. He watches our set and the comes over to chat when we are finished. He see our gear and the conversation begins.

whats this pedal for?

oh that one part in that one song

you need a $100 pedal for 5 seconds in a 1 hour set?

yup

Hmmmm. What about this one?

oh This part part and that part

another $100 for 15 seconds? Are you a pedalist or a guitarist?

Almost the next day my rig was stripped down to guitar-wah-amp EQ and Delay in the loop and that is it
Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #44
dannyalcatraz

I just bought a Visual Sound Jekyl & Hyde...and a Red Witch Famulus.

Yep. 2 pedals that essentially do the same thing, just differently.

I may have a problem.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #45
monwobobbo

can't really say i've had the urge to "simplify" as my live setup is pretty simple (although i have 2 seperate pedal boards). wah, overdrive, phaser and delay is pretty much all i ever use so that is what i have (my second board is for hendrix and similar players which consists of a wah, fuzz and phaser although i may replace that with a univibe style pedal if i can find one i like and can afford). recordingis a different animal and i'll use whatever is available if it suits the tone i want. of course recording is much different that live as the listener can most likely hear suble fx. live tends to be loud and if it's not in your face to certain degree than the effect may be lost or not really noticed.

OP personally i think you need a better amp and that may solve some of your issues. a solid tone should come from your amp not a bunch of pedals.

Last edited by monwobobbo : 11-27-2012 at 07:25 PM.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #46
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicrate
I once was that "Guy" that took 4 guitars 2 amps and a dozen pedals to every practice, Played with a guy that had the same problem, We write a bunch of songs and get hooked up with some locals musicians and go play some gigs,

One night we're playing a local spot and our very own local "HAS BEEN/NEVER REALLY WAS" rock star is there. He watches our set and the comes over to chat when we are finished. He see our gear and the conversation begins.

whats this pedal for?

yup

Almost the next day my rig was stripped down to guitar-wah-amp EQ and Delay in the loop and that is it

i mentioned something similar in this thread, seeing 10 pedals and only using three or four.

i don't use too many pedals, but sometime i will run in stereo, sometimes with twio heads and one 4x12" cab in an 'X' pattern and sometimes with a second full rig.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #47
Swannie
drives a hearse

I've got 10 pedals, but usually I find myself just taking my wah, OD, and phaser to a gig. However, when I do something where I want to use a delay or a compressor, I can. Don't sell your pedals man.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Swannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #48
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Yeah see I've already gone and bid on a Gibson LP Jr, to hell with this.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #49
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Well, my gear is pretty simple (in my sig). It's basically: Guitar --> Compressor --> Overdrive (lead boost) --> Chorus --> Flanger --> Amp. I'm most likely getting a Noise suppressor for Christmas so I can get rid of some of the unwanted noise, but I think that'll be as extensive as my gear will get.

Also, I have a mild GAS problem with guitars. I'm really craving a Kramer Ferrington, a Kramer Condor (explorer style, which is hard to find), and new pups for my Focus 3000.
But the one thing I'm saving up my money for is my most wanted piece of gear, a Gibson Les Paul Goddess in a Roseburst finish. They are to come by, so I think they'll be a good buck if I actually find one.

Other than that, I'm not really that obsessive with gear like most guitarists.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #50
LK_revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecBeretz
i hate effects... there are a few I'll use, like distortion, reverb, delay, and wah... but after that, I find most effects are just gimmicks. I do like some tremolo, especially on slow rhythm chords.

There was a time when I liked a simple rig also, just a Marshall 2205 and a crybaby that's it. Served me well for what I needed at the time.

I still like the idea of keeping it as simple as possible even as I add on more now, things are added as needed to reach a tone or sound. A good friend the other day told me he bought a DSL and he wants to not use any pedals anymore but he isn't completely happy with the stock sound of it. He then said with his digitech pedal it sounds just like he wants. All I could say is use the pedal then.

Effects are not gimmicks, they are a tool that can enhance or bring out a song or tone as needed. Univibe is a favorite of mine personally, that and wah. EVH would never acheived his famous 1st album tone without a phaser and flanger, well those and Ted Templeman.

Chorus and flange brought out Lifeson's songs at times. And then there is Gilmour who is a master of using effects at the right time, like the on the song "time".

Last edited by LK_revival : 11-29-2012 at 05:28 PM.
LK_revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #51
Hou-Tex
Gary

Before I simplified, I was spending more time tweaking than actually playing.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #52
uncle_sprinter

Bought a Marshall valvestate, problem solved.
Dimarzio Pickups
Marshall Valvestate

Feel me brah?
uncle_sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #53
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Chorus and flange brought out Lifeson's songs at times. And then there is Gilmour who is a master of using effects at the right time, like the on the song "time".

I was recently schooled on something of Gilmour's techniques on another board. This guy used a Boss RT-20 Rotary- a pedal I own- to dial in some of Gilmour's classic Floyd tones when he was using the Leslies.

The thing is, it wasn't like he ramped up the effect to the max. Instead, it was just barely on, but it was nearly always on.

The lesson? Sometimes, you might use an effect all the time, but as a subtle tweak to your sound, as opposed to making it the defining factor.

I had never used the RT-20 that way. For me, I used it to help create "Sci-Fi" sounds with some of my other effects. Using it as a scalpel instead of a scimitar had never occurred to me.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #54
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK_revival
I still like the idea of keeping it as simple as possible even as I add on more now, things are added as needed to reach a tone or sound. A good friend the other day told me he bought a DSL and he wants to not use any pedals anymore but he isn't completely happy with the stock sound of it. He then said with his digitech pedal it sounds just like he wants. All I could say is use the pedal then.

Effects are not gimmicks, they are a tool that can enhance or bring out a song or tone as needed. U

agreed. i don't think using effects for the sake of it is a great idea, but neither is refusing to use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #55
uncle_sprinter

A little chorus is nice, but not so much that you sound like an idiot.
Dimarzio Pickups
Marshall Valvestate

Feel me brah?
uncle_sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #56
griffin888

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicrate

whats this pedal for?

yup

No offense man, but why care what some other guy thinks? If those pedals helped you get the sounds you wanted to create the music you wanted to make, that's all that matters.
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #57
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Case in point, I use a talkbox for exactly one bar of one song. I use an octave pedal for two small parts of two songs. At over £150 a pedal, they're fairly expensive as far as floor effects go. Don't give a ****. Without them those parts sound wrong.

Y'know the saying (of which there are many variations), that it's better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it? That's how I see music gear.

Just to update on the whole scaling down of my rig, I've gone and bought another Les Paul now so that plan's already dead in the water.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #58
epicrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin888
No offense man, but why care what some other guy thinks? If those pedals helped you get the sounds you wanted to create the music you wanted to make, that's all that matters.

Non taken, At the time I wondered why I was listening to him, but in the weeks that followed when we started getting positive comments about our music from people who were not our girlfriends or buddies, I knew why I listened to him,

For me at that time I had more gear than skill, I used FX as a crutch, dumbing down my rig made me a better player. And it made my band better.

I didn't understand how to use FX to enhance my music.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #59
ikey_

yeah i agree. its cool to have crazy effects but i ask myself, " hoe much use am i going to get out of it" or basically is this cost effective?

almost all the bedals i use are essential to my sound, and on a clean tone the delay and trem are on most of the time. the delay is on pretty much 100% regardless on kinda a echoish type thing to fill ot the sound and make me sound bigger....like an echoplex type of effect.

other than that, OD / boost, and wah. of course tuner....probably the most important and underrated pedal on the board.

did you ever never tune up during a practice / gig? did you ever have to unplug and go into a hand held or loose your headstock tuner?

yeah thats why you pay the 50-100 and put one on your board.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #60
Air_Vengeance
Registered Kramer User

Doesn't get any simpler

Kramer>Tuner>Marshall

I run a EQ through the loop for a lead boost
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor