Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
mtshark
is the bees knees

Buying a classical... What to look for?

Hi guys, I've decided to start taking guitar lessons, but the teacher at my school is primarily a classical player, so I figured it would be best to to actually get a classical guitar. To start off with, I have absolutely no classical experience. I've played bass for 5 years and electric guitar for 3, but the only experience with classical guitars I've had is messing around with them at shops. So I've come to you for advice. Are there any specific styles, brands, or specs I should be looking for? My budget is around $300, and I'm willing to go used as long as the instrument isn't abused or banged up too much. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Lord Kamina
Not an engineer

Wow, I actually got to one of these first?

Well, from what I've seen so far in here: Most people are going to say you try and get either a Takamine or a Yamaha, brands with which you generally cannot go wrong. Most likely, you want to try and get a guitar with a solid wooden top (as opposed to laminate) because they will tend to sound and age better (you need to take slightly better care of it though and watch humidity and temperature)

I don't really have much experience brand-wise but personally favor (in your price range) Walden. While they are a Chinese brand, they are a good Chinese brand (read, not sweatshop-made knock-off crap)
They produce some pretty decent guitars in that price range, but it will obviously also depend of your local selection. In my case I had to choose between either a shitload of overpriced Ibanez laminates, a few Takamines that were way over my price range, some guitar brands nobody'd ever heard about and the Waldens (I was looking for some relatively specific features), in the end I got a solid-topped spruce classical with a cutaway and Fishmann electronics for around $380 and am quite happy with it!
Lord Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Madelineid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtshark
Hi guys, I've decided to start taking guitar lessons, but the teacher at my school is primarily a classical player, so I figured it would be best to to actually get a classical guitar. To start off with, I have absolutely no classical experience. I've played bass for 5 years and electric guitar for 3, but the only experience with classical guitars I've had is messing around with them at shops. So I've come to you for advice. Are there any specific styles, brands, or specs I should be looking for? My budget is around $300, and I'm willing to go used as long as the instrument isn't abused or banged up too much. Thanks!

Try local pawn shops, I have heard they offer an amazing range of guitars at low price. I always choose Cash Pawn Sales, in my area, for their quality products. particularly, the musical instruments.
Madelineid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
shinedown98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelineid
Try local pawn shops, I have heard they offer an amazing range of guitars at low price. I always choose Cash Pawn Sales, in my area, for their quality products. particularly, the musical instruments.

Your pawn shops are better then mine. Around here i go there thinkin its gonna be good prices, and its like rediculous prices. And a few i have seen there, the necks dont even look straight, still askin too much for it.
shinedown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Sir-Shredalot
Banned

1. check intonation fret 0 then12
2. check tone of g string..usually a giveaway for plastic coated tone
3. check spacings between strings are not unequal
4 check holes in bridge are of equal height from bottom
5. check distance of lines in the wood to see wood age
6. ensure headstock is adequately set back ala les paul

Last edited by Sir-Shredalot : 11-24-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Sir-Shredalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
Shredworthy

Play it first. Some guitars tend to be either warmer or brighter in general. Test this by seeing how easy it is to produce different tone by playing closer to the neck or closer to the bridge. In that price range, I wouldn't worry too much about getting an Ebony finerboard. They're the best, but rosewood is good too. And like so many before me have said, make sure the action isn't too difficult and how good the Intonation is. Don't worry too much as most guitars don't have PERFECT intonation. Just make sure it isn't bad or cheaply made. Have fun.

If you decide to pursue it though, a concert classical will be needed for great sound and more importantly LOUDER. With classical guitar, are instruments are very personal but also very quiet for a concert hall. Just bear in mind gettting one of these caliber guitars, it will most likely run you anywhere between 800-15,000 guitars and up, depending how great a guitar you want!

Hope this helps,
Brendan Hunt
Shredworthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: