Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Zeppelinism96

Amp Hum Help

Fender FM 212 DSP, i have had this amp for maybe two years bought like new. The past couple months the amp has been making a moderately loud hum fading in and out, louder and softer. After a 2 hour trip, i plugged in the amp and my MFX pedal, a righteously loud hum and hiss has developed even louder than before, and volume fades out, or gets softer, every once in a while. 2 hour trip 30 degrees outside down dirt roads and what not, the amp was in the back of the truck, did this have something to do with it? Do i need to clean out dust from the preface? Or is it from stuff wearing out and is coincidental to the trip? I originally though it was the power source but it only makes this loud hum when a cable is plugged into the input, a guitar at the other end or not it does not matter. And i discovered that when i hit the top it goes a little bit quieter but loses actual volume. Any suggestions? Any parts that i need to replace inside? Dust it out? or something?
Thanks for reading my thread, and for those who actually help me, Kudos to you!
Zeppelinism96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
zakarai
The Mathchitect

It could be a matter of things like:
Your guitar lead
Gain is too high
Bad pickups
Guitar jack
The added chain of pedals

Amps will initially hum but I'm not sure what the problem is in your situation. I would recommend a noise gate or compressor for the amp to combat hum/feedback.
zakarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Please don't take offense, but you're asking a lot of questions. If you have to ask a lot of questions, you probably have no business digging around inside the amp. Sounds like it's been getting bounced around pretty good in the back of a truck. This isn't even good for a solid state amp. Something is loose inside. Take it to a professional and have it looked at.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakarai
It could be a matter of things like:
Your guitar lead
Gain is too high
Bad pickups
Guitar jack
The added chain of pedals

Amps will initially hum but I'm not sure what the problem is in your situation. I would recommend a noise gate or compressor for the amp to combat hum/feedback.

No offense... but did you actually read his description? Out of all your suggestions, had you read the whole thing, you would realize that none of them are possible.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

I'm going to ask you a question. Bear in mind I owned this amp and everything. Do you really want to fix it?
Dan'o EQ: 9/10
Mooer Shimverb: 7/10
Digidelay: 8/10
Peavey Valveking 112 - Jensen MOD speaker: 8/10
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Paying somebody to diagnose it will probably cost more than the amp is worth.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard

+1 unfortunately for the OP.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:

Unless it's something as simple as a cold solder joint or bad connection, you're absolutely right. Given the going rate of a tech... an hour plus parts would = a brand new amp.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Zeppelinism96

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
I'm going to ask you a question. Bear in mind I owned this amp and everything. Do you really want to fix it?

well yes, i do. I dont have the money for a new amp, besides, the amp does enough for me, i dont use the actual tones from the amp i use my mfx pedal so the tone of the amp isnt where i would personally complain. not being able to afford a new amp of this size, i would be forced to use stereo headphones straight into my pedal, for at least a year and a half untill i could save up the money. Keep in mind what a mans financial situation is before you go talking crap on his gear.
Good day, sir.
Zeppelinism96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Here's the thing. It's often possible to diagnose a fault in a tube amp in a forum setting but SS amps are more difficult. If it was sitting in front of me I could probably fix it but not remotely on a forum.
A tech will charge you at least $50 per hour and it may take more than an hour just to find the fault, let alone fix it. So with that in mind the question "do you really want to fix it?" isn't talking crap about your gear is it? He could just mean, "do you want to spend more money to fix it than the thing is worth?"
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Here's the thing. It's often possible to diagnose a fault in a tube amp in a forum setting but SS amps are more difficult. If it was sitting in front of me I could probably fix it but not remotely on a forum.
A tech will charge you at least $50 per hour and it may take more than an hour just to find the fault, let alone fix it. So with that in mind the question "do you really want to fix it?" isn't talking crap about your gear is it? He could just mean, "do you want to spend more money to fix it than the thing is worth?"

+1 consider it 'totaled' like a car is in an accident, and the repairs are more costly than it would be worth.

Quote:
Keep in mind what a mans financial situation is before you go talking crap on his gear.
Good day, sir.

i don't think anybody did that directly. a lot of people own/have owned them and didn't like them. i almost bought one a long time ago (before the DSP models were around).

if you feel your financial situation is important, maybe you could have mentioned it earlier.

the fact of the matter is that you could probably find one in decent condition used for the same price of a tech check up and an hour or two. and maybe somebody would buy the amp you have with intentions of repairing it.

the are plenty things you can do to make money even if you are younger.

in the guitar world, you pay to play.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: