Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
ab ovo
connoisseur of sandbox

A Level Performance Suggestions

For my A level music performance, I have to deliver a recital of 12-15 minutes in length, by the end of the year. The pieces don't have to be by the same composer, or in the same style/era, but they have to be related in some way. Also have to be of a difficulty from grade 5 upwards.

As for me, I'm a fairly competent player on electric and acoustic (tend to prefer electric, but that doesn't mean I'm a huge distortion nut or anything like that). I haven't taken grades other than grade 5 theory, but from what I've seen from my classmates and such, I'd assume I'm about grade 6 as a player - if this actually helps you at all

Anyways, I can't come up with jack for to what to play. My main problem is that the pieces have to be "related", however loose that term may be. Any suggestions as to pieces, particularly if you can think of any suite type collections, would be greatly greatly appreciated, but I'm open minded to just about anything, thanks!
ab ovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
omidmash

I don't know what grade 6 player means, but you should totally do something progressive if it's going to be 14-15 minutes.
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Do some rockschool pieces. That's what we did, you must be in the same year as me. We were recommended to do Rockschool books as they are already graded, from GCSE right into AS and A2 level. The pieces aere only 2-3 minutes in length, but there's plenty of them and you should be allowed to mix and match grades. So you could do a few grade 6 and a few grade 7.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

If you want a good grade, do rockschool.

If you want to try and show off in front of your class mates, do anything else.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Spaztikko

You could try Stream of Consciousness?

Or be totes brootz and play toccata and fugue in d minor with all the distortion up just like Hail's band.

My mate did Aces high and got 80% in IGCSE, so, you know, if you can pull it off do it.

More importantly, what's your gear like?

^^Actually Instrumedley would be ****ing amazing. And all the *pieces* are related.

Or you could just make a pie or ethnic food with help from Hydra.

Last edited by Spaztikko : 11-26-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
omidmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko

^^Actually Instrumedley would be ****ing amazing. And all the *pieces* are related.

I know, right? If you are able to pull it off I'd personally would give you a full score had I been able to.
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: