User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #21
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof1029
im pretty sure you are supposed to use a hammer with nails...

I gotta stop posting right after I wake up :p
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I love how all the forum regs are slowly starting to use GB-esque style metaphors xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #23
diabolical

If you're on a Mac check and verify that you have firewire. If you do - go that route as it is more efficient and the drivers are rock solid. Going the USB route will give you more problems and you'd have to run at higher latency.

I'd recommend a PreSonus product like Firestudio Mobile or just look up Saffire or any of the other comapnies that provide firewire products. I currently have USB and firewire audio cards and hands down the firewire beats USB in lower latency on all of my machines.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #24
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
If you're on a Mac check and verify that you have firewire. If you do - go that route as it is more efficient and the drivers are rock solid. Going the USB route will give you more problems and you'd have to run at higher latency.

I'd recommend a PreSonus product like Firestudio Mobile or just look up Saffire or any of the other comapnies that provide firewire products. I currently have USB and firewire audio cards and hands down the firewire beats USB in lower latency on all of my machines.

Yeah my machine has FireWire. I know that Focusrite has a series of Saffire pros that are identical in function to the 2i4 but offer FireWire instead of USB. I honestly wish it had both because I know FireWire is a better interface for this kind of stuff but I'm severely limiting the amount of computers I can use it with in my home as my only Macintosh is my laptop and the rest are windows 7 machines with USB ports. It'd probably be worth it though if I confine myself solely to my MacBook Pro for all my audio work.
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #25
diabolical

If they PCs are desktops you can install FW interfaces or if they have expansion ports. I did get a PC with expansion port just so I can run my FIrepod if needed for portable recording, although I do have a small USB interface (Edirol, piece of crap btw) that covers the occasional little mixing task or tracking job.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #26
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Honestly, the differences between Firewire & USB aren't noticeable until you start tracking 4 or more inputs at the same time or start tracking at higher sample rates. As far as stability with FireWire, from my experiences, I've had a ton of problems with it on both Windows & Mac.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #27
diabolical

In my case it was noticeable even on one channel with fw beating usb hands down on the Mac. In the PC world there are some issue with fw card chipsets that could get dicey (apparently the TI chipset is preferred), in my case out of the box fw interface built into the mobo worked out great so never had to deal with that problem but I did have it on another XP machine which became useless thanks to the fw problem.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #28
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Honestly, the differences between Firewire & USB aren't noticeable until you start tracking 4 or more inputs at the same time or start tracking at higher sample rates. As far as stability with FireWire, from my experiences, I've had a ton of problems with it on both Windows & Mac.

The most I'd be doing at once is 2 (as it's only a 2 input interface) and most likely will only really be utilizing a single input for guitar cab recordings so USB should be fine.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
diabolical

I'd suggest that you look for interface that has pass through monitoring. I know the PreSonus range has it for sure, most of the other ones should as well.
If you need to track on a more dense mix you can bump up the latency to handle the processing, and still be able to monitor your signal.

Last edited by diabolical : 12-02-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #30
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
I'd suggest that you look for interface that has pass through monitoring. I know the PreSonus range has it for sure, most of the other ones should as well.
If you need to track on a more dense mix you can bump up the latency to handle the processing, and still be able to monitor your signal.

Doesn't the 2i4 have passthrough monitoring? I know there's a switch that allows you to hear the direct signal... unless that's different from passthrough monitoring.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #31
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

They all call it different things but basically theres Direct Monitoring (What your getting before it hits your DAW) and Passthrough or whatever you want to call it (What you get after it hits your DAW & comes out).

I'd say at least 75% of interfaces have a way to switch between the 2. I know for a fact Presonus, M-Audio & Focusrite all do.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #32
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
They all call it different things but basically theres Direct Monitoring (What your getting before it hits your DAW) and Passthrough or whatever you want to call it (What you get after it hits your DAW & comes out).

I'd say at least 75% of interfaces have a way to switch between the 2. I know for a fact Presonus, M-Audio & Focusrite all do.

Yeah the 2i4 has one, I was just curious if there was something I was missing

Rate This Thread: