Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
f00tballfever

Upgrade time but...

Hello there, greetings from the UK land. I've been playing my Fender Squier SA-105 BK for about a year now. I love this guitar but I think its time for change!

My budget is around £300 including amp.

I've been checking out some gear in thomann and youtube. So far I've got these on my buying list :
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Epiphone Les Paul Special II EB
Fender Squier Affinity Strat
Lindo Matt Black Dark Defender Semi-Acoustic/Hollow Body Electric Guitar (looks sexy <3)

I love listening to classic rock and blues because of the cleanl tones. I also don't listen to any of the heavy metal/metal.
For an amp, after watching a youtube video I fell in love with the reverb effect!

I hope I've provided enough information for you to get a glimpse of what I'm looking for. Please don't hesitate throw around some suggestions (your first guitar etc).
Time to go watch homeland, thanks for reading and see you guys around!
EDIT: I don't own those guitars :S

Last edited by f00tballfever : 11-26-2012 at 07:43 PM.
f00tballfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

1. Sell everything (except acoustic).
2. Buy Fender guitar.
3. Buy Fender amp.

Nuff said.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

If you love cleans you probably want single coils. The Yamaha is a good choice, it's versatile with the HSS setup. Also the Squier vintage modified Jaguars and Jazzmasters would be better than the affinity strat. They're damn nice guitars for the price. That Lindo looks like quite the guitar as well. You could do definitely do better than that Epi with your budget, though. I recommend that you go to a store and try them out. Try as many guitars above and below your budget as you can. When your done for the day you might have a different guitar in mind than you did before you went to the store.

As for the amp, if you want cleans, fender's the way to go. Look at the Mustang I.
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
dumbface12
They call me Bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00tballfever
I've been checking out some gear in thomann and youtube. So far I've got these:
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Epiphone Les Paul Special II EB
Fender Squier Affinity Strat
Lindo Matt Black Dark Defender Semi-Acoustic/Hollow Body Electric Guitar (looks sexy <3)

Do you mean you own these guitars or your looking into these guitars?

Because if you own these sell some of these that you don't need, want, like, etc.

As for a suggestion for a guitar, since you like the squier affinity strat go for a used (or new if you increase your budget) fender MIM strat.

It happens doesn't it?
dumbface12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
ghobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlips
If you love cleans you probably want single coils. The Yamaha is a good choice, it's versatile with the HSS setup. Also the Squier vintage modified Jaguars and Jazzmasters would be better than the affinity strat. They're damn nice guitars for the price. That Lindo looks like quite the guitar as well. You could do definitely do better than that Epi with your budget, though. I recommend that you go to a store and try them out. Try as many guitars above and below your budget as you can. When your done for the day you might have a different guitar in mind than you did before you went to the store.

As for the amp, if you want cleans, fender's the way to go. Look at the Mustang I.

+1 for the Pacifica, and he's spot on about the Epi.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
SteveHOC
Used Register

Fender VM Jaguar - good suggestion, from what I've heard these are great guitars for the price. I also suggest a Vox AC4 - just picked one up and it's a great, inexpensive, little tube amp. No reverb, but you could snag a reverb pedal to throw into your chain and get good results.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

None of those guitars is going to be significantly better than what you already have. The pacifica is the best out of them though. If you could stretch a little further, you could get way more guitar. with a 400GBP budget, you could get
- Squire Classic Vibe strat (50's or 60's)
- Yamaha Pacifica 212V
- Epiphone dot studio
- Ibanez AS53

and a Laney cub 12R amp. It's a tube amp with nice cleans and a reverb. Spending a little more on the guitar is going to get you way more guitar (don't believe me, play a Squire Affinity Strat back to back with the Classic Vibe, you'll be stunned how big the difference is!)

All of these combinations are less that 400GBP in the UK BTW.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
None of those guitars is going to be significantly better than what you already have. The pacifica is the best out of them though. If you could stretch a little further, you could get way more guitar. with a 400GBP budget, you could get
- Squire Classic Vibe strat (50's or 60's)
- Yamaha Pacifica 212V
- Epiphone dot studio
- Ibanez AS53

and a Laney cub 12R amp. It's a tube amp with nice cleans and a reverb. Spending a little more on the guitar is going to get you way more guitar (don't believe me, play a Squire Affinity Strat back to back with the Classic Vibe, you'll be stunned how big the difference is!)

All of these combinations are less that 400GBP in the UK BTW.

one general question is that i know the affinity has a narrower and (obviously) nut as opposed to MIM's. that little bit of extra space is nice IMO. the other squiers may have it too, but i don't remember exactly because i have played a ton of different strats/teles. i know i have going through 10+ strats and 3 or 4 teles buying and selling for a few years. a few were MIA, but i have a 1995 mexican strat i liked more so i kept it. but the higher end americans would likely be better than the strat i have. the few i have played definitely have.

the higher end squiers are decent guitars though.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
jeffo46

Squier has been putting out some outstanding product today. So with your budget, I would see about getting a Standard Strat or Telecaster. As far as a amp is concerned, either go with a Mustang I if you're into modeling amps, or a Frontman 25R if you like your sound to be just basic Clean with the occasional gain for them ripping solos.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
f00tballfever

Thanks for all your advices! So it seems strat or pacifica is the way to go when it comes to clean sounds. I looked at fender mustang 1 and man it sounds awesome!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Check out the Classic Vibe Squiers, especially 2nd hand, they are the best budget Strat out there IMO

then look out for something like a 2nd hand Laney Tube combo.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
AndyGray
UG Addict

Save up a little extra and buy a MIM strat (£250) & a 112 Peavey Valveking (£150). Worth every penny.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
f00tballfever

Hey guys, sorry I've been off for a while. I've decided to get the fender mustang 1 amp because of its quality and for the guitar has anyone ever had "Squier Black & Chrome Fat Stratocaster "? Is it worth it?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

It's just a regular Squier HSS Strat but with a higher price tag because it has a pickguard with a mirror finish. When you're on a tight budget, there's no point in it.

If you shop around, you should be able to pick up a Squier Vintage Modified Strat. They're not quite as nice as the Classic Vibes, but they're a bit better than the Standard and Affinity guitars. You should also look up Vintage, they make some alright copies of Strats, Teles, ES-335s and Les Pauls that are alright for blues and classic rock, and are a little cheaper than the guitars from brands like Squier; basically you're getting the same thing but saving some money because it's not a big brand name.
Don't forget that buying second hand or B-stock can save you a lot of money too. For instance, I just picked up a B-stock Epiphone Les Paul Studio from Thomann for £170, as far as I can tell there is absolutely nothing wrong with it (probably a display model that's just been in the shop for a month or two) and a normal one would cost £220. Saved £50 right there, that's the cost of a pedal or a pickup. It's nice to buy brand new things, but when your budget is tight there's no sense in it; buy second hand, ex-demo, outdated or B-stock items, you'll save some money and often get a better product than if you spent more on a new version of a worse guitar.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah you can normally pick up a vintage advance av6 for around £200 if you shop around. I thought the ones i tried were nice than pacifica 112vs (and i assume nicer than anything else he's looking at).

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
Delboyuk_01

Just spend your money on a new amp, if you split that cash between an amp and guitar you're not really gonna be upgrading from what you already have tbh.
Delboyuk_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
f00tballfever

I went to my local store today and played the pacifica 112V (200£) with fender mustang 1 amp so I was jamming there for quite a while. While I was jamming I did quite like the guitar but just because of the fact that they only had ONE guitar which was in my price range still gives me doubts. Oh well, most people have recommended me that guitar so I think I'll stick to that. Any last suggestions on the amps?
Can't thank you guys enough for helping me out!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz

I personally own a 40w Fender HRD combo, but if I didn't, I might own one of these instead:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/VINTAGE16
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/NOMAD

Peaveys & Vox are also worth a good look.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ i don't think you can get carvins easily or cheaply over here

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #20
dannyalcatraz

Ack- forgot location!

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: