Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
FirasKordi

Beginner at music theory

Hey everyone. so am planning to start studying music theory on guitar seriously and be advance with it ....Can you tell me step by step what to learn first , and what to focus on (and is reading music staffs necessary ?)
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
food1010
Bassist

Reading standard notation isn't necessary unless you want to be able to read standard notation. I recommend it, since that's what every other instrument uses to notate music.

Anyway, the first thing to do is to learn the major scale. And I don't mean learning the fretboard pattern. I mean really learning the notes/intervals and being able to build a major scale on any note.

That pretty much gives you the skills you need to study anything in music theory. We talk a lot on this forum about how scales are harmful or unimportant, but you need to at least learn the major scale when you're beginning into theory, because that's what everything in tonal music is built off of.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
FirasKordi

cool , after learning it what topics i should learn (organized ) ?
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Learn the notes on your fretboard first, without that basic knowledge trying to learn theory is like trying to learn to spell without knowing the alphabet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirasKordi
cool , after learning it what topics i should learn (organized ) ?
After that, learn how to harmonize the major scale, and how minor keys fit into all of this. When you have those topics under your belt, all it takes from there on is just studying music and figuring out how theory goes into practice. When you find something you aren't familiar with, bring your question here and we'll help you figure out what's going on. By doing this, you'll probably learn a lot about topics like secondary dominants, functional harmony and more.

In my opinion, it's much better to look at music and figure out the theory from there (of course, after you've learned the basics). Theory without application is useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Learn the notes on your fretboard first, without that basic knowledge trying to learn theory is like trying to learn to spell without knowing the alphabet
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. You need that before you can learn how to build the major scale.

Last edited by food1010 : 12-17-2012 at 03:02 PM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirasKordi
Hey everyone. so am planning to start studying music theory on guitar seriously and be advance with it ....Can you tell me step by step what to learn first , and what to focus on (and is reading music staffs necessary ?)

1. Learn and understand the musical alphabet. 12 notes. Understanding how they appear on the musical staff is necessary.

However, learning to sight read isn't necessary, but learning to read music IS. Confused? Reading/understanding music and sight reading are two different things.

2. Learn to notate the chromatic scale (the 12 notes) on the staff. Hand written. Ascending and descending

3. Learn where those 12 notes are on the fretboard.

4. Learn intervals

5. NOW, you can learn the major scale.

6. Learn to harmonize the major scale in triads.

7. Study triads. There are 4 types. (not including sus for anyone whose gonna get ****ing pernickety 'bout it).

Learn and understand basic rhythm notation.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
1. Learn and understand the musical alphabet. 12 notes. Understanding how they appear on the musical staff is necessary.

However, learning to sight read isn't necessary, but learning to read music IS. Confused? Reading/understanding music and sight reading are two different things.

2. Learn to notate the chromatic scale (the 12 notes) on the staff. Hand written. Ascending and descending

3. Learn where those 12 notes are on the fretboard.

4. Learn intervals

5. NOW, you can learn the major scale.

6. Learn to harmonize the major scale in triads.

7. Study triads. There are 4 types. (not including sus for anyone whose gonna get ****ing pernickety 'bout it).

Learn and understand basic rhythm notation.

+1.

Its hard when you skip the basic fundamental steps, like I and others on here have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: