Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Glimpsed.AM

How long did it take you to get 'good' at sweeping

Hey everyone, before I start this is NOT one of those "Hey, how long do you all think it'll take me to get to (insert guitarist name here)'s level?" kind of threads.

Since I've joined these forums I've just been a little curious and wanna see how long it took you guys to get good at sweeping, and by good I mean speed and clarity. I started learning to sweep about 2 years ago. I can play relatively clean, but my rolling needs a little bit of work. So anyway, yeah.. How long before you guys could play cleanly and had fluid movement?
Glimpsed.AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
amonamarthmetal

about 6 months

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Years, but I started very early on in my playing, way before I was really ready. There are some sweeping things I still suck at, but then I also find I don't have much use for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
supersac

can do three strings sweeps pretty good but i dont really have use for anythng else in my music so i never reay practiced much more than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
troyofyort
2nd place is da 1st loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimpsed.AM
Hey everyone, before I start this is NOT one of those "Hey, how long do you all think it'll take me to get to (insert guitarist name here)'s level?" kind of threads.

Since I've joined these forums I've just been a little curious and wanna see how long it took you guys to get good at sweeping, and by good I mean speed and clarity. I started learning to sweep about 2 years ago. I can play relatively clean, but my rolling needs a little bit of work. So anyway, yeah.. How long before you guys could play cleanly and had fluid movement?

I've been learning it for about 2 years as well, unfortunately I've just haven't put as much effort into as I should have. I still have trouble with rolling and sweeping downward, but can sweep upward perfectly any shape
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
troyofyort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Bad Kharmel

it depends on the arpeggio, I got basic sweeping pretty quickly, i'd say a couple months, but it took me a year or so after that to be able to transition between sweeps cleanly and insert taps into sweeping, and a few years later while most standard seeps I do fine, if they're weird or spread out funny they still take a while to get
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Ninja Vampirate
up the hoods

I was good at it within about 4 years of trying to do it for the first time, but I never really tried to learn properly until later on, I would come across songs with sweeping sections and try to play them and give up if I couldn't after a while, but I think if I really put a lot of effort into it and practiced for like a couple of hours every day, to get to the same skill level would have taken me a few months
Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Definitely took me over 2 years to get to where I would could sweep without it being a horrible mess. That was only like a year ago, so I'm still pretty new to it. But at this point it's about learning more difficult arpeggios and getting better at sweep-tapping, rather than just getting the mechanics down.

I think I would have learned faster if I'd had a teacher that could show me what to play, at what speed, what I was doing wrong, and tell me when I was ready to move on to the next step. Part of my problem was a serious lack of organization and a general confusion about what exactly I needed to focus on.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
Nameless742
UG Fanatic

I used to sweep minor/major 5 strings quite easily though I'm only just getting back into the practice. I can do the "rolling" sweeps that gave me trouble for years now.
I can successfully do all the sweeps to Altitudes/Mea Culpa just not up to speed.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Nameless742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Doctor.Dolittle
Meme-o Friend-o

I've been introduced to it around a year ago. I think I'm doing fine with it but I'm definitely no god at it. However, I've been more and more interested in it recently (that being the last couple of months) and I seem to be doing okay for being interested in it a couple of months. I can't do anything advanced in sweep picking, and I have some trouble in sweeping upward.
Doctor.Dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
aznbobby

I wouldn't say I'm good at sweeping, but I finally learned how to play them clearly and properly.

I'd say it took me about a year, of casual practice while building on other places.
aznbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

A few years, still can get way better. Never ending quest
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
fishmike

whats sweeping?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
Jyrgen
Used Register

I've practiced for 2 months and can only do a really basic minor triad arpeggio, as in the solo of Circles by Joe Satriani (the 4 string A minor sweep around the 12th fret), but that's what I was practicing for all along so its all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Geldin

I learned it in about 2 months. I was cleanly transitioning between arpeggios and everything. I was playing the big sweeping bit in Altitudes inside four months. Sweeping is one of those techniques that just made sense to me as a guitarist.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmike
whats sweeping?

like mopping.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
fishmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
like mopping.

I looked up some youtube videos. Agreed.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
yearzero
Heir to The Darkness

Realistically, I'd say it took me about a year to get a point where a basic sweep passage didn't send me into a panic. Another few months after that before I could confidently add it to my own playing in a real capacity. Another long gap before I could play 3, 4,and 5 string shapes together.

4 years later I realized that I could probably play the Children of Bodom songs that inspired me to learn the technique, but I just don't want to anymore.
yearzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
aznbobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearzero
Realistically, I'd say it took me about a year to get a point where a basic sweep passage didn't send me into a panic. Another few months after that before I could confidently add it to my own playing in a real capacity. Another long gap before I could play 3, 4,and 5 string shapes together.

4 years later I realized that I could probably play the Children of Bodom songs that inspired me to learn the technique, but I just don't want to anymore.

hahha yeah children of bodom inspired me to tackle sweeping but after finally being able to actually play a sweep i dont even care for re-learning their songs haha.
aznbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

It took me a couple hours to learn how to do it, but it's taking me years to become decent at it, and as with everything else, I'm still working on it.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: