Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-23-2015, 12:47 AM   #1
gravitymusicschool

Smile Analysis of "Yesterday"

Hey all,

I did an analysis of Paul McCartney's masterpiece "Yesterday" and I thought some of you might find it helpful in your songwriting journey.

You can find it here: https://gravitymusicschool.com/blog...eatles-analysis.

He uses some cool techniques--particularly his use of non-chord tones and appoggiaturas. He's also a master of repetition of the central motif "ba-da-da" (corresponding to "Yesterday").

Does anybody have any thoughts on the analysis or anything that I've missed? I'm always looking to up my game.

All the best
gravitymusicschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:37 AM   #2
arvarna

Hey I don't know if this is obvious but you need an account with the site to read your analysis, is this what you intended? Why don't you just post your analysis straight on the board?
Old 07-23-2015, 05:13 AM   #3
zigras

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvarna
Hey I don't know if this is obvious but you need an account with the site to read your analysis, is this what you intended? Why don't you just post your analysis straight on the board?

I got to the write up on the website with no problem and I do not have an account. The analysis seems well thought out and excellently presented. Great food for thought!
zigras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:21 AM   #4
pb15994
absolutly obsolete

The analysis seems to be pretty spot on, I'm just surprised that you didn't mention the 'why she had to go' part. It would be interesting to explain how that harmonic change works in connection with the melody and how he transforms it back.

Other than that it's very well done.

Last edited by pb15994 : 07-23-2015 at 05:22 AM.
pb15994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
gravitymusicschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvarna

That'd odd--shouldn't be doing that. If the issue persists for you please feel free to send me a screen shot of what you're seeing and I'll help resolve it.

Unfortunately it'd be quite the feat to post the analysis in-line because it contains quite a bit of audio examples and images.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
gravitymusicschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb15994
The analysis seems to be pretty spot on, I'm just surprised that you didn't mention the 'why she had to go' part. It would be interesting to explain how that harmonic change works in connection with the melody and how he transforms it back.

Other than that it's very well done.

I appreciate that, thank you! You're right, analyzing the next bit is definitely on the list of things to do--I'm be curious how he does that myself. I do know he does some excellent contrast between the A and B section melodies, even in the note values themselves. Thanks for taking the time to check it out and I'll let you know when the B section analysis is up.