Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
John Swift

Peavey Classic 30

Anyone had experience with these amps, our guitarist purchased two used Classic 30s which have turned out to be very unreliable.
On removing the amp chassis from the combo cabs there was evidence of multi removal on both combos due to the damage to the covering material on the insides of the side panels.

Our local repair engineer is at this moment repairing yet another Classic 30.
All 3 combos have along with other issues transformer problems.

I contacted PEAVEY UK regarding a replacement output transformer only to be told that none were available and wouldn't be until after Christmas which tells a lot IMHO.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn

Last edited by John Swift : 11-27-2012 at 08:22 AM.
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
George Juggles

I bought a Classic 30 used in June, and haven't had any problems. The guy that owned it before me never had to replace anything (other than tubes) and the amp is from 2003.
EHX Big Muff USA
BOSS DD3
Joyo Power-Supply 2
George Juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Seems to me he's just buying poorly maintained used amps. That says nothing about Peavey. It says something about who he bought it from. If he bought new it would be a different tale altogether

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Roc8995

The Classic 30 is a very common, popular amp that's been in production for a long time. Based on sheer numbers there ought to be a bunch of them being repaired at any given moment. I don't think they have any reputation for being any less reliable than anything else at that price point.

I think you just got unlucky. I hate to say it but blowing up 2-3 output transformers sounds like some sort of user error. If you bought both from the same person they might have been messed with already.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The Classic 30 is a very common, popular amp that's been in production for a long time. Based on sheer numbers there ought to be a bunch of them being repaired at any given moment. I don't think they have any reputation for being any less reliable than anything else at that price point.

I think you just got unlucky. I hate to say it but blowing up 2-3 output transformers sounds like some sort of user error. If you bought both from the same person they might have been messed with already.

It seems you've not read my post properly, my friend has two classic 30s, someone else has a classic 30, all three at the same repairers.
Strange no Classic 30 output transformers in the country (UK) till late December and not available till after Xmas.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
Seems to me he's just buying poorly maintained used amps. That says nothing about Peavey. It says something about who he bought it from. If he bought new it would be a different tale altogether

Strange no Classic 30 output transformers available in the UK until after Xmas.
Wonder why, could it be they've sold out?
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Juggles
I bought a Classic 30 used in June, and haven't had any problems. The guy that owned it before me never had to replace anything (other than tubes) and the amp is from 2003.

How long have you been playing?
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Your pal just got unlucky as Roc had said. Popular amp + misuse of amp = Many repairs going on at once.

It just sounds like a user error to me. The Classic 30 is a great amp, but buying used is always going to be risky. Buying anything used is risky, not just amps. Whenever I get ANYTHING used I go over it with a fine toothed comb. Especially guitars and that sort of thing.

Just curious, why does it matter as to how long George has been playing? Furthermore, please don't triple post.

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
John Swift

Quote:
Your pal just got unlucky as Roc had said. Popular amp + misuse of amp = Many repairs going on at once.

It just sounds like a user error to me. The Classic 30 is a great amp, but buying used is always going to be risky. Buying anything used is risky, not just amps. Whenever I get ANYTHING used I go over it with a fine toothed comb. Especially guitars and that sort of thing.

Just curious, why does it matter as to how long George has been playing? Furthermore, please don't triple post.

Firstly so you're phsycic and can diagnose over the internet at re you?

Secondly, don't tell me how to post, and how come Peavey are out of stock regarding transformers, is it coincidence?
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

I hate to abuse the tired old line of "I know a guy who knows a guy...", but one the guitarists in of my friends' bands use a Peavey Classic 50 head, has done for going on ten years now and as far as I've been aware, they've never had a problem with it - I should know since I usually end up doing most of the techie stuff for them.

Sounds like you've just been very unlucky/run into a pile of them that have been used poorly in the same way.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Based on sheer numbers there ought to be a bunch of them being repaired at any given moment.

Well as a regular gigging musician I don't see many Peavey classic 30s in live band use, the bunch being repaired are being worked on localy, to be honest our local store doesn't even stock them.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
I hate to abuse the tired old line of "I know a guy who knows a guy...", but one the guitarists in of my friends' bands use a Peavey Classic 50 head, has done for going on ten years now and as far as I've been aware, they've never had a problem with it - I should know since I usually end up doing most of the techie stuff for them.

Sounds like you've just been very unlucky/run into a pile of them that have been used poorly in the same way.

I think that you've hit the reason, Classic 50 not 30, guitarists trying to compete on the backline without PA augmentation and only using 30 watts is pushing it.

Another friend of mine (also a musician) who builds valve amps ie most of the past Fender range (Twin Reverbs etc) including chassis, transformers etc is quite adamant that 30 watts on its own is pushing it other than rehearsal room with 15 watt bass amps and plastic drum kits.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn

Last edited by John Swift : 11-28-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

It sounds like a string of bad luck. Most every Peavey product I've ever come across is generally very reliable, but some have manufacturing issues (if you make enough stuff, eventually something will come out funky) and many were mis-used. Given Peavey's generally low price-point, they tend to get purchased and used by guitarists who maybe don't have the best handle on what's going on. Particularly with the Classic 30 and Valveking (both relatively cheap, gig-worthy tube amps), you tend to get a whole bunch that were purchased by people who needed their first tube amp- and consequently didn't understand how to maintain them. It's not necessarily that the amps were abused intentionally, but rather than the user may not have had sufficient knowledge to know how to maintain their amp properly.

When I played Peavey's, I generally had exceptional customer service, even once my warranty was expired. I think the issue with the transformers is that we're closing in on the Christmas season, which basically scrambles all head-office activities (like, say, ordering and shipping parts) for the better part of a month.

My advice, however, would be to instruct your tech to source the problem within the amp. transformers do not just "blow" generally speaking, so there must be some sort of cause in there. If you can have that source identified and solved prior to the new parts arriving, you'll be in much better shape to have your amp up and running properly ASAP
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

The fact you don't see many being used in your area for live use doesn't really mean much, the amp is sold worldwide, other people in bands are likely to use it elsewhere in the world.
My 6505+ was great, never had an issue with it at all. This JSX I have is really great too, been gigged for three years previous to my owning it, and still nothing is wrong with it.
You even said when the chassis was removed there was noticeable damage to the amp in some form, indicating that the previous owner had done something to it that maybe they shouldn't have. User error.

Also, there's an edit button...

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
It sounds like a string of bad luck. Most every Peavey product I've ever come across is generally very reliable, but some have manufacturing issues (if you make enough stuff, eventually something will come out funky) and many were mis-used. Given Peavey's generally low price-point, they tend to get purchased and used by guitarists who maybe don't have the best handle on what's going on. Particularly with the Classic 30 and Valveking (both relatively cheap, gig-worthy tube amps), you tend to get a whole bunch that were purchased by people who needed their first tube amp- and consequently didn't understand how to maintain them. It's not necessarily that the amps were abused intentionally, but rather than the user may not have had sufficient knowledge to know how to maintain their amp properly.

When I played Peavey's, I generally had exceptional customer service, even once my warranty was expired. I think the issue with the transformers is that we're closing in on the Christmas season, which basically scrambles all head-office activities (like, say, ordering and shipping parts) for the better part of a month.

My advice, however, would be to instruct your tech to source the problem within the amp. transformers do not just "blow" generally speaking, so there must be some sort of cause in there. If you can have that source identified and solved prior to the new parts arriving, you'll be in much better shape to have your amp up and running properly ASAP

Thank you very much for a very mature reply, the problem is that the point has been reached where further work will take it into unrealistic cost on the Classic 100 that is with the tech at the moment (He only paid 300), there had been a bodge job done by one of the many previous repairers where a length of solder had been placed under the blown 1amp 250 volt fuse.
As I said previously frequent attampts repairs had been obviously been carried out due to the damage to the material on the inside of the cabinet.
As you say they are not really top of the market regarding valve amplifiers, in fact they were the US version of 'Carlsboro'.
We had a Peavey PA amp some years ago that packed in halfway through a gig, no internal protection and the domino damage effect was horendous, luckily our local unversity electronics department sorted it out and said it was such a shame that a basicly good design had been short changed by lack of protection.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
John Swift

Oh what a brilliant Amp the Classic 30 is.
If one output valve packs in all shutdown because the heaters are wired in series.
The circuit board is folded in two places with dozens of single conductor strands of wire connecting the boards which have to be squeezed hard together when reinserting the amplifier chassis.
All in all not very impressive.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
John Swift

Quote:
You even said when the chassis was removed there was noticeable damage to the amp in some form, indicating that the previous owner had done something to it that maybe they shouldn't have. User error.
Also, there's an edit button...

Which part of the following don't you understand, or would you like it in Janet & John language?

Quote:
On removing the amp chassis from the combo cabs there was evidence of multi removal on both combos due to the damage to the covering material on the insides of the side panels.

Talk about Richard Head.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn

Last edited by John Swift : 11-30-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
Roc8995

Ok, whining time is over.

Rate This Thread: