Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Nervouspace

^I never said I didn't need advice.

Ok, I will take the root note out of this. What I meant was If I play G Major and I go to Dorian "I guess I just called it A Dorian because That's where I start when I practice the shape" but I know its just extending off of G Major.

And Yea I probably am not using the modes right. I am not saying I get any notes that obviously sound out of key. I know all my major and minor keys. I am just trying to say it sounds like I'm playing one long ass G Major scale when I improv in G Major.

So I MUST be using the modes wrong. All I know is. I'm in G Major. I got my Major shape, Dorian Shape, Phrygian/Lydian Shape, Mixolydian Shape, and Aeolian Shape. and if I connect them all I got one long G Major scale going all the way up the fretboard.
Nervouspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

All 12 notes can be used over an a minor and sound good.

stop thinking in scales.

/thread

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #23
Spaztikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervouspace
^I never said I didn't need advice.

Ok, I will take the root note out of this. What I meant was If I play G Major and I go to Dorian "I guess I just called it A Dorian because That's where I start when I practice the shape" but I know its just extending off of G Major.

And Yea I probably am not using the modes right. I am not saying I get any notes that obviously sound out of key. I know all my major and minor keys. I am just trying to say it sounds like I'm playing one long ass G Major scale when I improv in G Major.

So I MUST be using the modes wrong. All I know is. I'm in G Major. I got my Major shape, Dorian Shape, Phrygian/Lydian Shape, Mixolydian Shape, and Aeolian Shape. and if I connect them all I got one long G Major scale going all the way up the fretboard.

You're in G major the whole time. What you should have done is learn the notes in the fretboard, and then the notes in the key of G. Stop thinking in shapes and cut this modes shit, because the instant you mention major your are not modal.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
wolflen

suggestion...learn how to play melodies within the scale...simple melodic phrases..london bridge..jingle bells..etc..

find 112 melodic patterns [I]on the net..that should keep you busy for a few months...play them in ALL keys...

listen to melodic players...larry carlton...lee ritenour..see how they use scales and intervals in melodic ways..also...pay attention to space..it makes the use of notes more effective..simple 4 and 5 note passages seperated by half note rests may sound very tasty rather then running 8 or ten notes together with a sudden end...

also...learn how to play through chords..and their inversions...learn all the arpeggios of a chord in all its inversions..on all string sets..play a melodic phrase using just the notes of a chord..then string several chords together..A7 D7 Gmi7 Bb13 CMA7#11...when you beging to get a feel for this type of stuff..try it in as many keys as possible in every position and inversion..

this type of stuff will kmotivatedotavated to stretch your ears...your post sound like your looking for new directions

play well

wolf

Last edited by wolflen : 11-27-2012 at 06:40 PM.
wolflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
Hydra150
not so cowardly

and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
Spaztikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Brilliant.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
You organize the information by arranging it in pieces... like this...

That was awesome!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #28
Nervouspace

All Right, I am going to do what Wolf said. I am going to make one last attempt at this real quick though. I read up on some things.

What I am concluding is. Major, Dorian, Phrygian/Lydian, Mixolydian, and Minor are not really shapes like I've been thinking.

I could be playing G Major with my root note starting with the G on the A string the run the scale and get what I was thinking was the "mixolydian shape" but since Mixolydian isn't a shape but a tonality, It's just G Major again somewhere else on the fretboard and that is all. Nothing modal about it.

BUT If I play G Mixolydian now I am playing modally? and every other shape I get around the G Mixolydian is not a different "mode" It's just a shape of G Mixolydian somewhere else on the fretboard

Do I understand it now?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #29
Spaztikko

Nope, because you are still thinking in shapes. No matter what you try, if you play a Gmaj chord and then solo over it you will, no matter whatever the hell you try, be in G major. You can play whatever, and you can call it all the names under the sun, but it
is still
g
major
Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #30
food1010
Bassist

You're starting to get it.

However, I would stop thinking of G A B C D E F as G mixolydian anyway. Just playing these notes doesn't make it modal. I mean, if you used these notes with a G major vamp or a G pedal tone, then you could call it modal, but I still wouldn't even bother because there's really not much application for modes in modern music.

You will benefit much more from thinking in terms of keys and intervals. You can simplify things so much by just thinking in G major, and calling the F an accidental.

Of course, you're going to want to study tonal harmony, including tension/chord function. But if you focus on that, and ignore modes, I think you'll have a much better understanding of music theory.

Last edited by food1010 : 11-27-2012 at 07:19 PM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #31
Chandleezy

Asking about modes on here is like a death sentence because people are going to always nitpick your semantics. I made the same mistake you did by asking about "Modal Pentatonics" on here a long time ago. I wanted to know some cool way to play something in a mixolydian settting while I played Em or Dm or something. I got completely trashed by everyone on here for the first two pages of my thread so I left.
About a week later I got back on and saw that my thread was still alive, and people were still arguing about it. Not to say that the people on here are douchebags, but they are incredibly thorough and they are approaching your questions from a theory perspective while you are approaching it from a I want the basics so I can learn a unique way to write a song or a unique way to solo point of view. One thing I can guarantee you is that if you do not have a solid foundation of musical theory (I don't), then you aren't going to get what you wanted from this thread.
You'll notice they have a topic stickied in here that says "Modes! Before You Ask..." They really mean it. And I don't mean any disrespect to you or any of the people here, but I feel like this thread is following pretty closely to what mine did.

Last edited by Chandleezy : 11-27-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Chandleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #32
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
All Right, I am going to do what Wolf said. I am going to make one last attempt at this real quick though. I read up on some things.

What I am concluding is. Major, Dorian, Phrygian/Lydian, Mixolydian, and Minor are not really shapes like I've been thinking.

I could be playing G Major with my root note starting with the G on the A string the run the scale and get what I was thinking was the "mixolydian shape" but since Mixolydian isn't a shape but a tonality, It's just G Major again somewhere else on the fretboard and that is all. Nothing modal about it.

BUT If I play G Mixolydian now I am playing modally? and every other shape I get around the G Mixolydian is not a different "mode" It's just a shape of G Mixolydian somewhere else on the fretboard

Do I understand it now?

Why do you want to play modally?
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #33
Hail
kill both bass players

i typically go over a minor with a chloroform'd rag i've stashed in my pocket, then just hitman them into the trunk of my car

btw every mt thread should have at least one cooking tutorial
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #34
Nervouspace

For Variation in a solo I suppose?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #35
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:

hahahaha you've watched one too many satch videos, friend

you don't just "start" playing modally. you're misunderstanding playing with accidentals, which ultimately actually limits you to those 7 sets of accidentals and overcomplicates things beyond knowing the functions of each interval, motion, and phrasing and using them appropriately within the context of a piece

also, it's important to note that music isn't only about soloing. you should be able to think and write harmonically and rhythmically, and see the "big picture" at the very least as well as you can improvise/play fast/solo. what's the point of talking fast if it's just gibberish and thrown together off of scale shapes you found tabs of somewhere?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #36
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
btw every mt thread should have at least one cooking tutorial

Well, only the ones that turn into a MT regs modal circlejerk

so yea, all of them
Quote:
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #37
Hail
kill both bass players

my dad's looking to build another smoker (he is/was a welder professionally until recently and we sold our old one) so he can smoke exotic, huge hunks of meat. i'm excited. but i do like this "faux-smoke" method

Last edited by Hail : 11-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #38
Hydra150
not so cowardly

good god i want to eat that youtube video
Quote:
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #39
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandleezy
Asking about modes on here is like a death sentence because people are going to always nitpick your semantics. I made the same mistake you did by asking about "Modal Pentatonics" on here a long time ago. I wanted to know some cool way to play something in a mixolydian settting while I played Em or Dm or something. I got completely trashed by everyone on here for the first two pages of my thread so I left.
About a week later I got back on and saw that my thread was still alive, and people were still arguing about it. Not to say that the people on here are douchebags, but they are incredibly thorough and they are approaching your questions from a theory perspective while you are approaching it from a I want the basics so I can learn a unique way to write a song or a unique way to solo point of view. One thing I can guarantee you is that if you do not have a solid foundation of musical theory (I don't), then you aren't going to get what you wanted from this thread.
You'll notice they have a topic stickied in here that says "Modes! Before You Ask..." They really mean it. And I don't mean any disrespect to you or any of the people here, but I feel like this thread is following pretty closely to what mine did.

Those who ask about modes usually don't have a good foundation of music theory knowledge, so we end up tearing down their understanding and then try to start them over again. But by virtue of being a public forum, you get a lot of cooks in the *******. They're good cooks and mean well, but it can be overwhelming for a person to absorb all at once. It's just another hazard of being self taught: you have to wade through a lot of crap and find the good stuff, which can be shown different forms, which makes it more confusing.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #40
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:

Variation? Ok, so what you need is some variation in your decoration... your ganache... your accidentals... your phrasing... your phrasing... your phrasing

mdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: