User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
toine
UG Freak

How should i teach guitar?

Hi,

Since about 2 months I've been giving guitar lessons.
But I think I need to organize my lessons better.

I find that i go to ultimate-guitar and print what they want and teach them those songs, but that seems pretty unprofessional.

I printed out all the basic chord diagrams, wich i something that they never saw.
And then switched to basic songs (Lola, No Woman No Cry, Enter Sandman).

When I started out on the guitar it was with the book 'guitar for dummies'.
And even though that name makes people laugh it's such a great book and it teaches all the basic techniques on guitar and I recommend it to every beginning guitarist.
But I don't think my students would appreciate it if i gave them that book.

Any advice is more then welcome.
Should I keep going song by song, or get a book, teach techniques and then apply them to songs?

They started out with classical guitar lessons from my former classical guitar teacher but now that i'm their teacher they admitted that they didn't really like classical guitar pieces and how to read notes etc..
That's why I started with tabs and popular riffs and licks.
I only have 1 student that wants to continue with classical guitar.
And that's fine with me, he has a book that he's using, so that's ok.

Also, I find that sometimes the lessons are a bit too laidback.

Any advice on how a lesson is really effective is more then welcome.

Should i just keep going with getting stuff of the internet and then explaining the techniques?
Should I teach them all the notes on the fretboard? I know alot of amazing guitarists that don't really know all the notes, but can play amazing.
What is the best teaching method that I can use?

Thanks
toine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
ibanez1511

Ideally you could mix and match methods depending on your students.
I use a lot of the RGT exams books. Also Rockschool exam books too.
For repertoire I have a collection of real books which cover a lot jazz,blues and rock in a concise way.
ibanez1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

Do it in units, 1st unit - basic chords, 2nd unit - power and bar chords 3rd - unit some lead guitar etc and do like 5 songs per unit until theyre perfected then move to the next unit. Thats how i was taught and it works so well and you learn quickly

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Showiddlydiddly
Djangified

In my experience, teaching works so much better when you structure your teaching around the individual student. Find out what their goals are, how they prefer to learn (laidback scenario, really structured pure guitar stuff etc.) and decide how best to give them the knowledge and skills they want to acquire. It's no use telling someone who really doesn't want to learn every note on the fretboard that that's what you're going to teach them. They won't have fun so they won't learn.
Showiddlydiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
tehREALcaptain

My rule with students is that if they are under the age of 16 and are paying for lessons, they either learn classical, or if they play electric they work on the modern method series, in addition to learning songs, and working on basic technical things like single, 2 and 3 string scales, and the left hand classical excersizes. I'd suggest avoiding tabs all together (they really have no place in a music lesson that costs money, and if your not comfortable with notation and helping them work riffs out by ear, direct them to a more competent guitarist/teacher). Tabs don't give anything near a complete musical picture, they just show someone how to play something (which is after all, your job). For rock stuff, I'd recommend learning the guitar part off of the recording, then teaching it to your students bit by bit and having them memorize it and practice small amounts each week with the recording. Again, I'd reiterate that I'm not sure how ethical it is to just give your students stuff you printed off of the Internet......why should they pay you for lessons if your not willing to put the effort in to come up with your own handouts (most lessons you find in the Internet are pretty crappy to begin with) and teach them in an individualized and systematic manner?
Also teach them to read, play and sing basic melodies and scales before going into chords, and then work in three part chords (and even very very basic chord melodies) before the giant open position voicings, both to show them that harmony is a function of melody, build tonal memory/basic musical skills and to give their hands time to get strong enough for those big grips.

Last edited by tehREALcaptain : 11-29-2012 at 09:14 AM.
tehREALcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: