Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
spiroth10

active pickups in a carvin carved top? opinions?

I have a beautiful Carvin Ct4 gold top and shes absolutely beautiful, and very versatile axe.

but I kinda dont like the pickups that much and I think they're going a wee bit microphonic. either way Im swapping them.

Im thinking about putting actives in it - I might know someone who can get me a set of emg 81/85 on the super cheap, so if that comes through I'll def try it out. Id rather put livewires in, but cheap is cheap :p.

anyway what do you guys think the outcome will be? Its a pretty balanced guitar but definitely on the darker side - mahogany with a maple cap. is it a good match?

will I be able to split/tap emgs or livewires? whats the output like, because I still would like to be able to get cleans sometimes, they dont have to be shimmery, but itd kinda suck if I could NEVER not get crunch haha.

but I do think I would enjoy the noiselessness of it, and also the POWER :P.

I play metal but I also play blues and classic rock, and pretty much anything else when it comes to mind :P. I know Id lose versatility, but exactly how much versatility would I lose really? couldnt I back down on the volume and still not push the amp that hard?

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
spiroth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Punisher23j

Active pickups tend to bypass any of the tonal capabilities of "tone woods" or at least that's what I've heard. Also you will not be able to split/tap the EMG 81/85 nor the Livewires as far as I' aware. I'd put in actives though, especially if you can get them on the cheaps, the 18V Mod will help the overall sound as well.
Punisher23j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
MalfaitFre

If have to guitars that are equiped with that esp set (esp m-II and ltd viper 400). I did the 18v mod for the ltd and I must say, you're sound is way more 'mature' than with the standard 9v. But the esp (9v) also sounds like the bomb!

The good thing is: Changing to 19v is very easy and changing back to 8v is just as easy :p So play a few months with the 9v until you realy know the sound and then do the 18v mod. And if you don't like it, just change back :p !

ftrz
MalfaitFre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

You can coil tap with EMG 81TW and 89. Which are the same as the EMG 81/85 but they built a single coil pickup inside the casing to give the effect of coil tapping, so you can easily switch from humbucker to single coil sounds with those.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

I have both a set of EMG 81TW/89 at 18v and some SD Blackouts AHB 1... Blackouts win hands down. So if its actives your after, I'd skip the EMGs.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
MalfaitFre

Yeah, a friend of mine installed blackouts and they even made his line 6 spider sound nice
MalfaitFre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher23j
Active pickups tend to bypass any of the tonal capabilities of "tone woods" or at least that's what I've heard. Also you will not be able to split/tap the EMG 81/85 nor the Livewires as far as I' aware. I'd put in actives though, especially if you can get them on the cheaps, the 18V Mod will help the overall sound as well.

They don't suck all of the tone that the wood gives but active pickups do that more than passives, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
I have both a set of EMG 81TW/89 at 18v and some SD Blackouts AHB 1... Blackouts win hands down. So if its actives your after, I'd skip the EMGs.

I've got a Gibson Les Paul Studio with EMG81 in the bridge and 89 in the neck with the 18v mod, I love it. To me, the SD Blackouts were too in-your-face sounding, maybe good for heavier genres of metal. Of course that'd depend on the Blackouts model, but I think it was AHB-1. There are new active pickups that have the both of worlds, active and passive. EMG came up with something new recently, after the Het Set, See here.
I'd say you can't go wrong with EMGs, but then again, given your guitar, I'd want to check out first some good passive pickups.

Bareknuckle makes awesome pickups for any output level and any style you want to play and their customer service is great from what I've heard. Seymour Duncan also makes great pickups, I liked the SH-5 in the bridge position a lot in a mahogany body guitar. Maybe if paired with SH-1, like SD suggests, is a good combination.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Last edited by Sakke : 11-26-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakke
I've got a Gibson Les Paul Studio with EMG81 in the bridge and 89 in the neck with the 18v mod, I love it. To me, the SD Blackouts were too in-your-face sounding, maybe good for heavier genres of metal. Of course that'd depend on the Blackouts model, but I think it was AHB-1. There are new active pickups that have the both of worlds, active and passive. EMG came up with something new recently, after the Het Set, See here.
I'd say you can't go wrong with EMGs, but then again, given your guitar, I'd want to check out first some good passive pickups.

The Blackouts are quite in your face, definitely great for metal, not so good for cleans. They just seem to have so much clarity, I love them.

The EMGs on the other hand, even at 18v, still sound more compressed.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
The Blackouts are quite in your face, definitely great for metal, not so good for cleans. They just seem to have so much clarity, I love them.

The EMGs on the other hand, even at 18v, still sound more compressed.

Yep, but I dig the 18v modded EMGs much more than I did the original or the Blackouts. By the way, the 18v mod was probably the cheapest upgrade to my sound. Another quite inexpensive one was putting JJs in my Blackstar instead of having the stock ones (Sovtek and TAD) in there.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
spiroth10

well might wanna move to my new thread about the free emgs I got. because I did get them on the super cheap. I got an 81 and a 60 for free, and im fairly positive I have everything I need, but im not sure if theres some circuitboard outside of the pickups themselves because all thats different really is the battery adapter...

but for this price I couldnt complain, even if I dont like them I will sell/trade for duncans or dimarzios or something. I'll have to look into the 18 volts mod - whats it do, just add another 9-volt adapter? thatd be SUPER easy because I have like... 5 of them :/

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
spiroth10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: