User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #21
guitargodofaus
Billion, with a B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
Most of the japanese are very racist toward you if you don't know some basic japanese.

As long as you dont butcher the shit out of it. that'll irritate them even more. First hand experience.

You will have to ride a train eventually, but this is so true, especially if you are a woman, Trains are packed tight and then you get dirty old men who feel people up. It happened to my mum while she worked in tokyo all the time.

No not as a prostitute.

I'm male and 6'3 so i dont think i will get to harassed

It hit a wheelchair bound spastic in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple07
A girl was rim-jobbing me and I purposely shit all over her mouth and face.

Flickr
guitargodofaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #22
Harvey Swick
UGs Token Native American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Lemonade? What are you, poor or something?

Use potions like real trainers.

pfft, Lemonade restores more than a Super Potion and costs less.

learn to take advantage, brah.

RIP DT
Harvey Swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #23
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!

don't know how many of the posts here are serious, but here goes.

i'm a full blooded japanese fluent in both japanese and english. i'll be honest. i am confused going there, when i can read everything. i've been going to the tokyo area every winter for the past four years and i barely know how to travel between my grandparents' houses.

around the metropolitan area, like tokyo, osaka, and many others (probably includes sapporo) many things will be translated in english, as well as chinese and korean. however, niseko and other hot springs resorts are just that. and they're run by the people who lives in the villages around it, i wouldn't expect much english translation at all. there aren't enough english translations around mt. fuji!!!

in japan, trains are next to unavoidable. taxi fares are expensive, buses only go so far. if you don't ride the train between 6:30am~9am, and 4pm~7pm, you won't have too many unfavorable encounters. from 10am~3pm its all old people.

if you're planning to save money going to japan (or really, any other place to travel), its tough. unless you have relatives or friends there to give you shelter, you'll have to pay a good amount to eat and sleep. and if you're going to stay at a non-western style hotel, don't expect beds. however, the maids will make the "bed" for you at around 7pm. and if you decide to go take a bath in one of the hot springs, prepare to see a lot of naked old men.

is that it?

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ECistheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #24
guitargodofaus
Billion, with a B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECistheBest
don't know how many of the posts here are serious, but here goes.

i'm a full blooded japanese fluent in both japanese and english. i'll be honest. i am confused going there, when i can read everything. i've been going to the tokyo area every winter for the past four years and i barely know how to travel between my grandparents' houses.

around the metropolitan area, like tokyo, osaka, and many others (probably includes sapporo) many things will be translated in english, as well as chinese and korean. however, niseko and other hot springs resorts are just that. and they're run by the people who lives in the villages around it, i wouldn't expect much english translation at all. there aren't enough english translations around mt. fuji!!!

in japan, trains are next to unavoidable. taxi fares are expensive, buses only go so far. if you don't ride the train between 6:30am~9am, and 4pm~7pm, you won't have too many unfavorable encounters. from 10am~3pm its all old people.

if you're planning to save money going to japan (or really, any other place to travel), its tough. unless you have relatives or friends there to give you shelter, you'll have to pay a good amount to eat and sleep. and if you're going to stay at a non-western style hotel, don't expect beds. however, the maids will make the "bed" for you at around 7pm. and if you decide to go take a bath in one of the hot springs, prepare to see a lot of naked old men.

is that it?

Thanks that's all great info, really helpful.

Quote:

Flickr
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #25
Spaztikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargodofaus
I'm male and 6'3 so i dont think i will get to harassed

Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargodofaus
I dont want to offend anyone while im there so s there anything that is considered rude that is normal in western culture?

Has anyone been to niseko and knows a good/cheap place to stay.

Ask to see people's Yakuza tattoos. They would consider it an honor.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #27
Spaztikko

Don't even mention the Yakuza, and stay the **** away from the Yakuza.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #28
guitargodofaus
Billion, with a B

Isn't that the japanese mafia or equivalent ?

Quote:

Flickr
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
guitargodofaus
Billion, with a B

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytheguitar
Yeah. And don't mention yakuza. They have a bigger presence than you would think.

Maps, man. The train stations are hell, go to google and print out subway maps (if you'll be on the subway). Just be nice and modest. No, almost all Japanese people aren't racist, and if they are, they won't show it. Don't be loud, it makes you stand out. Just be a regular, chill dude.

Cheers.
I don't think I will be using the subway as i plan to just get to niseko straight away.

Quote:

Flickr
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
Weaponized

GLORIOUS NIPPON???

omg!

last.fm
Weaponized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #31
Dylan_86

I have travelled to Japan 7 or 8 times and also lived there for half a year or so as i'm married to a Japanese woman. I can speak and read some Japanese...enough to have conversations and ask anything i needed. But if you are travelling in the cities then nearly everything you need to know will be signed in English too. Making the effort to speak even the most basic of Japanese will be appreciated but don't worry too much about it.

If you are also hoping to meet girls they will probably find it even more cute that you can hardly speak Japanese. In most major cities now there are less foreigners after the tsunami, nuclear explosion etc. Last time i went to Japan i walked into bars in Kyoto and other places and had everyone stop and stare at me, girls giggle and want to talk to you or do more...and i'm just an average looking guy. If you are white you will get girls if you want to.

People in Japan are generally friendly and helpful and not rude...i've encountered less than a handful of rude people in all my travels in Japan. People have helped me carry bags, asked if i needed help or directions and been helpful if i have had any questions. People in cities like Osaka, Kyoto etc. will be more friendly than people in Tokyo generally...but i think a lot of it has to do with Tokyo being so busy.

As you are staying in a Ski area i guess accommodation etc. will be included in a package or already organised? If you are considering travelling to any major cities than the cheapest places to stay are business hotels or love hotels...they are more expensive in Tokyo than other cities...in other cities expect to find a decent business hotel for 4000yen per night...about $50. In Tokyo you will probably pay $100+ unless you are lucky or book on a Japanese site. Love hotels don't tae bookings and you can stay 1-3 hours if you just want some quick sex or a nap...otherwise overnight from about 11pm and prices will vary depending on the quality from around 7000yen-15000yen a night mostly.

As for the trains, you need to catch them if you want to go anywhere. Avoid the peak hours. People do get groped etc. but it's not like you are gonna see someone get raped in front of you. They have separate carriages just for women these days too...so don't get into those lol. They are clearly signed in English. Some train stations can be quite confusing i guess...but i've never really had a problem even in places like Shinjuku. You can get lost though...some are basically underground malls that go on forever.

No need to worry about the Yakuza...but they do run nearly everything...businesses, bars, red light districts, even beachside stalls...and they pay the cops off to keep it all going. Don't do anything stupid and you will never have any problems...they have no interest in any wrongdoing with everyday people. I have even had them buy me drinks before...but you don't want to get too close to them lol. Also stay away from the bars that nigerian guys run...otherwise you will be stuck paying a bill of hundreds of dollars per drink unless you want to be bashed or killed.

Last edited by Dylan_86 : 11-28-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Dylan_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #32
brownshirt1

Where's my invite? Cunt!
brownshirt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #33
nincompoop
UG Owner & Founder

inb4 weeabo "OMG! SUGOI! I WANNA GO THERE!!! JAPAN IS INCREDIBERU!!!111one"

Too late.
nincompoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #34
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Moshi moshi
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
sfaune92
XYHeteroCisScum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nincompoop
inb4 weeabo "OMG! SUGOI! I WANNA GO THERE!!! JAPAN IS INCREDIBERU!!!111one"

Too late.

There are us non-weebs who want to go there as well. It's a fascinating place... but it's not perfect - there are some ****ed up laws there, for instance.

And I can't really stand the words 凄い (sugoi), 馬鹿 (baka), かわいい (kawaii), etc. when used in any language that isn't Japanese. And Anime has some ****ed up Japanese as well (women talking like 10 year old boys, etc.)

Last edited by sfaune92 : 11-28-2012 at 11:06 AM.
sfaune92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #36
Cardbored

Japanese people are probably the nicest people out there. It's more likely your fault if they seem rude (or it could be them, not everyone is a goody two-shoes). Some basic stuff about Japan:

-Don't put chopsticks in your bowl. When people visit their late relatives they put food out on their graves with chopsticks sticking in the bowl. Some sort of tradition iunno. It's about as bad as picking your nose.
-There are some places where you might need to take off your shoes. Not a big deal, just watch for 'em.
-Japanese people usually hand people things with both hands, so return the favor and take the thing with two hands as well.
Cardbored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
nincompoop
UG Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaune92
There are us non-weebs who want to go there as well. It's a fascinating place... but it's not perfect - there are some ****ed up laws there, for instance.

And I can't really stand the words 凄い (sugoi), 馬鹿 (baka), かわいい (kawaii), etc. when used in any language that isn't Japanese. And Anime has some ****ed up Japanese as well (women talking like 10 year old boys, etc.)

Hey, trust me. I'm a non-weeb, and one of my dreams is to actually go to Japan. Yes, I'd love to learn the language and maybe even live there... but I have no interest in anime/manga, I don't throw Japanese words into my English sentences, I don't wear Domo-kun t-shirts, etc...

I just love the music, the culture, the people, the architecture, the scenery, the history... it's just kind of a magical place in my eyes. So many amazing cities I'd love to visit.

If I were to learn the language, my usage of it wouldn't go beyond speaking it with one of my best friends who is Japanese, while I'm actually in the country, and of course for learning purposes.

I'm just a regular guy who loves Japan. The weeaboo shit is just unnecessary. I'm proof of that.

Last edited by nincompoop : 11-28-2012 at 11:37 AM.
nincompoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #38
sfaune92
XYHeteroCisScum

Japanese is surprisingly easy. I can't believe the progress I've made in only five months. Just start out learning the kana, and familiarise yourself with the shapes of the kanji (with for instance Remembering the Kanji) and learn the readings while learning vocabulary. Also listen to stuff in Japanese (tv shows, music, etc.).

I don't really like anime (except Death Note, which is kinda cool - would've been perfect without Misa Amane's annoying voice) or manga either.

Last edited by sfaune92 : 11-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.
sfaune92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #39
Thrill-house
why can't this be blank?

Thrill-house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #40
0RI0N

I was gonna make a tsunami joke. I'll refrain.
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
0RI0N is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: