Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
larrytheguitar
UG's Only Wolf

The treadle on my wah is affected by gravity. How do I fix this?

I have a MXR CAE MC-404 wah. It's my first and only; I've never even tried other wahs. I do know, however, that the gears on wahs are fairly stiff, but mine isn't. If my foot isn't on it, it'll drop straight down. I thought this was a characteristic unique to this wah, until I saw demos of it where it stays in other positions.

Don't know much about the way wahs are build. Any help will be appreciated.

He will be missed.
larrytheguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

That sucks, I bet it's because of the pot. Wah pots should be really stiff and relatively hard to turn to avoid that issue; I would exchange it if it's new or get a new pot eventually if you can't do that.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

Can you tighten the screws on the side? That should give it a bit more friction and keep it from falling down.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
larrytheguitar
UG's Only Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
That sucks, I bet it's because of the pot. Wah pots should be really stiff and relatively hard to turn to avoid that issue; I would exchange it if it's new or get a new pot eventually if you can't do that.

Not really new, I've had it for almost two years now. Fact is, I thought it was normal for like the first year. It wasn't until I started watching some demos of it, out of boredom, when I learned that the wah should be like the others.

Is the wah pot the gear-like thing under the "toe" section of the treadle? The one that has the grease?

Sorry, I'm still fairly new to electronics in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki
Can you tighten the screws on the side? That should give it a bit more friction and keep it from falling down.

On the outside of the pedal? I don't have any screws, man. Is thin metal rod (that I cannot get out for the life of me) is what keeps the treadle in place.

He will be missed.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
jthm_guitarist

That's the inside. The potentiometer is the thing with the "gear" and the "stick" is on the underside of the pedal. Pretty sure the only thing keeping normal wahs from falling like yours is the stiffness of the pot.

show
Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
larrytheguitar
UG's Only Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
[IMG]*wah*[/IMG]

That's the inside. The potentiometer is the thing with the "gear" and the "stick" is on the underside of the pedal. Pretty sure the only thing keeping normal wahs from falling like yours is the stiffness of the pot.

Thanks for the pic. I took some pics myself here. For what it's worth, the grease isn't as disgusting as the picture makes it seem.

I'm not really sure how to tighten it. I mean, I can tighten the nut on the right of it, but it doesn't change the gear at all. The gear it smooth as hell, like it was doused in WD-40. Not sure where to start here...

EDIT: Just noticed yours doesn't seem to have any grease. Did you just clean it when you took that photo, or did yours just never have it? When I first got the wah, I made a thread about it because I didn't know what it was, but was assured that the grease is normal.

... It's normal, right?

He will be missed.

Last edited by larrytheguitar : 11-29-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
jthm_guitarist

AFAIK there is nothing to tighten and you can't fix it, you just have to replace that pot.
The grease is normal. I just found that pic on google.

show
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
larrytheguitar
UG's Only Wolf

OP here, contacted the guys at CAE directly.

Apparently it's the torsion block. Which is great, because I completely ****ed it up a few months back. I loosened it too much, the whole thing came out, and, with the limited space under the treadle, couldn't get it back in.

So uh... anyone know how to take the treadle off a wah? I suppose I would just knock that metal rod out, but the thing is really wedged in there... Any tips?

He will be missed.

Rate This Thread: