Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Usernames sucks

Jam webcam?

Hi is there anything like chatroulette for musicians, so jou can jam with random pepole over the internet? Sometimes you are just bored and alone and want a jam, and last but not least you learn alot from it... So is it anything like this?
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
mattrusso

I don't think webcams or the internet are that efficient yet. The lag would probably destroy any hope of playing together in time with someone.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Usernames sucks

But isnt the latency equal for both? So if it dosnt happen at the same time in rality, it would seem like it for both of us?
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
mattrusso

Even if the latency is exactly equal, it still won't work as long as the lag is noticeable. For example, consider a situation where the two of us are doing this together. If I'm playing chords and you're playing melody, you're gonna play so that it's in time with the audio coming from your computer. To me, it's going to sound like you're late, and I'll try to fix the problem. Then to you, it'll sound like I'm speeding up...and so on. See what I mean?

It is a really really cool idea, though, and I hope it's possible someday!

Last edited by mattrusso : 11-28-2012 at 05:52 PM.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Matt.Guitar

That's an awesome idea dude - you should try and get it going!
Matt.Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
sickman411
(1913-1938-197?)

There's a thing called Jam with Chrome by Google where you can jam with friends using your computer keyboard. That's the closest I know of. You have to have a good internet connection though or there will just be an error message.
sickman411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
SomeBlueKind
Banned

Why would it even need to be video? Couldn't you just make it an audio stream so that the amount of data having to be transferred would be reduced, thus reducing and maybe even eliminating latency.
SomeBlueKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
AJScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernames sucks
But isnt the latency equal for both? So if it dosnt happen at the same time in rality, it would seem like it for both of us?

No, it's not.

Internet packet streaming isn't consistent. Go run a speed test first time you might get 10.4mb/s next test you might get 9.8.

It's these inconsistencies that make this a bad idea. Until there is virtually no lag or no lag humans can perceive this won't really be a possibility.

Skype voice lag is around 0.3 seconds I believe (I read somewhere), have you ever tried to do some recording when you have latency issues? It's horrible it's just not possible to do.
AJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
WeTheGods
Dbag

I did a guitar class online back in high school, and there were two or three occasions that I had to jam with someone using our webcams. It was disastrous.
WeTheGods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

Seems like it'd be the coolest idea in the world, but lag has to ruin it for us. Hey, you could still post a pre-recorded file and have someone else jam to that.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Hail
kill both bass players

so would they run up and down scales back and forth or literally masturbate

since you said it would be like chatroulette and all
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

With a fast connection, the lag shouldn't be that bad. My nephew also plays guitar and hooks up with other guitar players online to jam together. Not sure what he uses.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
Leather Sleeves

I thought about using skype for this once, apparently the program is equiped with noise-cutting technology which makes instruments inaudible. I've never tried it myself though, I think lag alone would make it impossible.
Leather Sleeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
Slashiepie
Banged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
so would they run up and down scales back and forth or literally masturbate

since you said it would be like chatroulette and all

hhh makes sense, instead of dicks you would see... well dicks, dicks playing scales..

T.S: Concepts like that are being worked on:

http://www.ejamming.com/

Quote:
EJamming’s technology focuses on the problem of latency. On the standard Internet, it takes a nontrivial amount of time for data to travel from one person to another. And the larger the files, the more travel time it takes, as anyone who has watched video online can attest. EJamming tries to minimize latency on a few different fronts, Glueckman says, although since the technology is proprietary, the company would only provide overviews of its approach.

First, the eJamming software decreases the file sizes sent over the network. To do this, the company’s engineers developed their own compression and decompression algorithms that shrink the file size, yet still maintain an audio quality higher than MP3, a common compression scheme, says Glueckman. Second, each musician is directly connected with the other musicians in a jam session, instead of being routed through a server. This peer-to-peer configuration “results in a lower latency by routing the audio stream directly to your jam mates rather than, on average, doubling that transport latency by directing the audio stream through a remote server,” says Bill Redmann, chief technology officer of eJamming.

I don't know how true that is, and how well or bad it translates to reality but:

If people can friggin hit a flying plasma ball with a laser in the air while dodging rockets and bouncing off the walls, with pings of 200+ on Unreal Tournament, musicians can find a way to circumvent the lag.

I dont know how modern games are tackling this problem, but i a m sure they have specific "unlagged" code to compensate lost packets and instable connections, wont be long before someone nails it for musical purpouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.

Last edited by Slashiepie : 11-29-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
food1010
Bassist

I think the best way to eliminate the latency issue would be to record loops and send them back and forth. Of course, then you would sacrifice one of the most important aspects of jamming, which is the immediate cause/reaction that you get by playing simultaneously.

The problem is, even a tiny bit of a delay can throw off your timing significantly.

Rate This Thread: