Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
D.R.22

Little Finger

Hi guys, hope everyone had fun during Christmas! But here is my question, I mostly play blues and I was wondering if I should use my pinky when I bend? I know a lot of blues legends don't use their pinky a lot ( ex: Clapton ). But I feel that I should use all my fingers ( 1 for each fret if you catch my drift ), but I am finding it hard to bend, pull off ... with my pinky. Any feedback, experiences or comment is appreciated!
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

You've given me a reason to play a lot of bends. Seeing what I do and thinking about what I know that others do, I say that there's no reason to make a point of using your pinky to bend. I'm finding that I only use my pinky when I'm doing unison bends on the low frets of the B string (bending E to F#, for instance). I suggest achieving some proficiency with bending with your pinky, but it's not the top priority.

The "one finger per fret" rule is nonsense. You should be able to stretch across six frets (eight on the high frets) and you should be able to do two frets per finger. (This doesn't just happen, of course. It requires a bit of pain.)

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
bangoodcharlote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Why not use your pinky to bend? You have a 4th finger so you might as well use it. Just use any other available fingers to help support it and it should be fine.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
shane002
Banned

Petyr Baelish is constantly referred to as "Littlefinger," and some mention that he doesn't like this name.
shane002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
D.R.22

I find it kind of hard to bend "perfectly" with it. And when bending or releasing I always make the other strings buzz, how can I rectify that?
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

It's hard to bend properly with it because you're not used to it. After a while of using it, it will start to feel more natural and easier.

To fix the buzzing strings, make sure your pinky isn't touching the other strings, and work on your muting.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: