Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Fourfourforever

writing music down

How in the world do i write music down and structure it i know my theory i know note values i know how to structure the music i make in a time signature in a painful way id really like to skip that part if its possible. I do not know how to write music in the traditional sense of notation. I tab on papper and record my stuff, i write to remember the pattern of the music i came up with and record to remember the rhythm of the music it seems i am taking unnecessary steps in the writing process, and i just do not know where to turn.

This is what will usually happen when i am trying to write ill come up with a chord progression lets say in Am its a 1 4 3 4 5 1 its for the chorus so i am like ok this is cool i like this progression so now i am like ok yay its melody time, and now this is usually the part were things go astray ill improv and come up with like 50 different melodies over this progression that i like, and then what happens is ill just end up improving over this progression for the next 2 hours getting no where with writing. Or ill focus in on the melody i like over the progression Tab it out record it.

Then ill come up now with a totally different melody using that same pattern i used for the other melody and like it more then so on and so on, I just cant stay focused writing i end up getting lost in a improvisational bliss and i cant escape and stay focused i am tired of just improving i want to compose these ideas i have in to song but i just do not know were to start or what to use to make the writing process more painless i thinks i have a case of musical Adhd help.
Fourfourforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

If your music is like your writing then you do have a problem with structure.

Why not use something like Guitar Pro, where you can enter music in tab or notation along with note durations? You can then play with the structure and save it whenever you want.

When you've added a decent melody move on to the next part of the song. Stop tinkering with it. Stop improvising. Stop messing around. Move on. You can always come back to it later if you suddenly have a brilliant idea to improve it. But only change it if you're convinced you can really improve it. Don't just start improvising again. Your new improvs aren't going to be better than what you had before.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
poisonousmetal

As far as writing, learn to do it, it's simpler than you may think. Maybe a Fast Track book or something.

On composing my greatest advice would be concentrate and persevere. There will come hard parts though, like taking the melody. So, for that I suggest that you play what's in your head once. Listen to the progression a couple times and use the idea that keeps going through your mind. Learn it.
poisonousmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

I do the same thing. The best advice I can give you is that if you come up with new melodies over the same chord pattern, file those away as potential NEW songs. But if you keep revising what you're playing the song will never be finished.

As far as the actual writing of the notes... unless you're writing for other people it's really just whatever works for you. Personally I'll usually write out the tabs to what I'm playing, then record the audio to remember my strumming patterns, etc. But if a simple chord progression written out on a napkin is all you need, that's cool too.

Another thing to consider - you might find that you're less likely to keep changing somebody else's songs the way you do with your own. Get together with some rhythm players and let them worry about creating the framework and melody of a song. Then you can live in improv bliss while you solo over their work
Ovation IDea
Mesa Boogie Maverick 4x10
57Goldtop is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: