Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

So, what now?

After playing guitar regularly for over two years now, I've come to a point where I no longer consider myself a total newbie. I've dipped my toes in a few genres and I can play songs that at least incorporate some ideas from different genres.

All genres but fast paced rhythm-heavy metal, a la Iced Earth, Megadeth, Metallica to name a new. I've tried to learn songs but I just can't play them up to speed. For example, I've learned to play the rhythm section of Tornado of Souls, but I've been stuck at 80% speed for the last two months. I've been practicing that at least three or four times a week, but I still can't play it at full speed.

Anyway, my question is, is fast rhythm playing like in the bands listed above somthing that cannot be practiced and is something that is just developed over time? I mean, I practice scale runs and chromatics and a thousand and one other picking exercises every day, but lately they haven't really been helping my playing. At first my pick accuracy improved, but after that, I just got "better" at the exercises and my overall technique didn't improve. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time trying to practice these songs and I would be better off learning something else.

I really do want to develop the technique because metal rhythm is one of the things that inspired me to pick up a guitar in the first place. I'm no metal head, but I would like to have that extra speed and be able to incorporate those ideas into my playing.

I seemed to have got carried away here, but I hope my question is clear
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus

Last edited by BlueIceBox : 11-29-2012 at 04:37 PM.
BlueIceBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Simper-Yut

Keep practicing. The speed you're looking for will not come over night as I'm sure you understand. You have to be patient...and yes allow the speed to develop overtime. 80% is not bad at all, and is certainly not something to be disappointed about. The average listener likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you were playing right along side the track its' self. Sounds to me like you have the right attitude, so just keep pressing forward and you'll see your goals realized. Don't be ashamed of gradually working your speed up. This is the way to practice a song so that you perfect it. I'm not a metal head, but every song I take on I always start off at around 50% of its' tempo, and slowly work myself up to speed. If it takes me a week to get up to speed or a year should make no difference to you, as long as you are making gradual strides towards your goal. Granted, I'm certain there are areas you may wish to revaluate that could use improvement..which would give you that boost you are looking forward.
Simper-Yut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Leather Sleeves

Sounds like you're on the right track. Some of that stuff is super hard too. I've been playing almost exclusively metal for 7 years and I can't play much old Iced Earth unless I practice it a lot, and then not at full speed. I guess you should decide what type of stuff you need to learn for what you play yourself (if you're in a band or whatever). So just focus on one thing maybe, like just that Megadeth song.
Leather Sleeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
PsychoZombie

hey man i feel you i was at the exact same spot. here are some lessons i used that helped me out a lot:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...r_schedule.html

i dont remember if it says it in the lesson but i used a metronome and as i went on i did the exersises faster and faster.
also the next lesson is pretty similar but it might help too.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...d_building.html

hope that helps, and keep rocking man
PsychoZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIceBox
I mean, I practice scale runs and chromatics and a thousand and one other picking exercises every day, but lately they haven't really been helping my playing. At first my pick accuracy improved, but after that, I just got "better" at the exercises and my overall technique didn't improve. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time trying to practice these songs and I would be better off learning something else.

I think you're hitting the nail right on the head. Practicing scale runs and chromatics makes you better at scale runs and chromatics. If you want to get better at a riff, practice that. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell you something.

Quote:
Anyway, my question is, is fast rhythm playing like in the bands listed above somthing that cannot be practiced and is something that is just developed over time?

No and yes.
Fast rhythms do take time to develop, but you can speed that right along by practicing those rhythms while focusing on relaxation and economy of motion. Those are the secrets to acquiring any degree of speed.

Hope that helps.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
gabipe15

Try relaxing the right hand as you speed up with your metronome. Usually people can't get that extra speed because they have a hard right hand technique.

If you practice that, when having your hand resting at the end of the bridge, you'll see that your wrist makes all the movement and your speed gets faster.

Hope it helps
gabipe15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
crazytjeuh

It's all about staying dedicated to it and loving to do it.
It will come overtime with practice. That kind of applies to anything there is in life.

To really help you it will sound dull but you start slow. I'm not going to say the word 'metronome' because it sounds so ugly, but instead get a drum track or something along with a bass and slow it down and have fun jamming, mostly playing over a groove increases your accuracy much better wich will lead to increase in speed!
crazytjeuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz

Thanks. I think I'll start to use the riffs I want to learn as exercises then Would you say even those that are definately out of my reach would make good exercises when played at a lower speed?

Hopefully I'll be able to play cool riffs like those from Bark At The Moon, Tornado of Souls and even Jesus Christ Pose (another riff which I have been having trouble with ) at full speed. I know I shouldn't expect instant success, but sometimes it becomes a chore when practicing the same riff at the same speed for the 10000th time to only have improved by a very small amount ...and then all the doubt kicks in and it makes me feel like the worst guitarist to have ever walked on this planet It really makes me feel like I've only just picked up the guitar again
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus

Last edited by BlueIceBox : 12-03-2012 at 07:35 PM.
BlueIceBox is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: