Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
skilly1

too much too learn

It seems sometimes that theres to much to learn, scales, chord tones, rythyms. Do you get to a point where you can see your own progress and rely less on all the theory and kind of figure a lot out by yourself through instincts and knowledge that you've picked up along the way, or are there no short cuts
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
supersac

the problem is your relying on hteory
theory is just there to explain what you and others already doing and help you explain the sounds

and no theresno shprtcuts...also its not to complexonce youi really understand the basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
TK1
The Roaming Minstrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersac
theory is just there to explain what you and others already doing and help you explain the sounds

This. One thousand times this. Couldn't have explained it better myself.

When I get to a point where I feel like there's so much to learn, I step back and I try to make connections between things I already know. Make a stronger foundation for your knowledge to sit on so when you learn more, it makes sense and sticks.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
TK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilly1
It seems sometimes that theres to much to learn, scales, chord tones, rythyms.

Hate to down your point, but that's only skimming the surface because that's your basic musical vocabulary. That's like the first 4 chapters of a theory textbook.

Quote:
Do you get to a point where you can see your own progress and rely less on all the theory and kind of figure a lot out by yourself through instincts and knowledge that you've picked up along the way, or are there no short cuts

Yes. The more you learn and understand makes it easier to become second nature/instinctive because you start to understand what sounds good to YOU.

What sounds good to you? Figure it out. Learn the technical basics (scales, chords, rhythm, and proper playing technique), study your favorite songs, and trust your own expression.

We're all alright!
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Dayn

Theory is a shortcut. You take advantage of centuries of knowledge across all of humanity. Much easier than reinventing the wheel.

Over time, the things you practice become automatic. So long as you understand what you're doing instead of rote memorisation, it'll be automatic with practice.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilly1
It seems sometimes that theres to much to learn, scales, chord tones, rythyms. Do you get to a point where you can see your own progress and rely less on all the theory and kind of figure a lot out by yourself through instincts and knowledge that you've picked up along the way, or are there no short cuts

You should always be playing, experimenting, and discovering.

But you should also always have goals in mind. "I'd like to be able to do X." Then you talk to an instructor, or ask here, or what have you ... and figure out what you need to work on right now to help you get to "X."

Theory is one of those things that people picks up bits of. You study it in part to avoid going down pointless rabbit holes (modes!) but also because these are the fundamental concepts you're going to encounter in music again and again.

But you don't study it in a void. You're always developing your ear to make sure you can HEAR those concepts, and looking for practical examples.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayn
Theory is a shortcut. You take advantage of centuries of knowledge across all of humanity. Much easier than reinventing the wheel.

Over time, the things you practice become automatic. So long as you understand what you're doing instead of rote memorisation, it'll be automatic with practice.
Very well put. Theory takes the mystery about it. Music shouldn't be a guessing game. Ultimately you want to get to the point where there are no barriers between mind and instrument. When writing/improvising, you want to hear in your head what you want to play and be able to play it effortlessly. Some people get there without theory, but it takes a lot longer.

Last edited by food1010 : 11-29-2012 at 11:13 PM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Hail
kill both bass players

mastering a craft takes longer than a couple months. even bach was still learning when he died
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
You should always be playing, experimenting, and discovering.

But you should also always have goals in mind. "I'd like to be able to do X." Then you talk to an instructor, or ask here, or what have you ... and figure out what you need to work on right now to help you get to "X."

Theory is one of those things that people picks up bits of. You study it in part to avoid going down pointless rabbit holes (modes!) but also because these are the fundamental concepts you're going to encounter in music again and again.

But you don't study it in a void. You're always developing your ear to make sure you can HEAR those concepts, and looking for practical examples.

+1'ing this

Yes TS.... it does become automatic after a while...and theory does help... just choose short term goals and you'll be fine. Dont look at the top of the mountain and think "wow what a long way away"... instead... look to your feet and the step immediately in front of you.... its only 20 cm high, right? Not so hard at all.

Choose some smal goals and let the big picture take care of itself.... might be nailing barre chords... might be learning a scale.... might be learning the first 4 bars of a song... etc etc etc...
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: