User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #61
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
Except no, because that 'cop out' on those garage-sale concepts like enlightenment and inner peace is actually an idea to which the routes are clearly outlined. There's no reverence of 'holy figures,' because the Buddha himself, as he became called once he'd achieved enlightenment, was a man, who professed many times that he was no deity nor god, and didn't indoctrinate, but rather proposed alternate ways of living that were more conducive to achieving a state of 'in the moment,' or happiness.

You can throw around words like sutra and cheap-coin ideas like stillness and simplicity in life, peace in one's soul or being enlightened all you want, but you really don't know much about Buddhist concepts outside of what's commonly depicted in popular media.

That aside, you can, technically, say anything with a structured set of ideas, put down and agreed upon by others, a 'religion like' thing. Get real.

There doesn't seem to be much to it from what you're saying, aside from some attempt to 'improve' oneself using rituals and theological mental conditioning. Religion isn't entirely how YOU'VE seen it in the media, either: Your implication that the Buddha didn't indoctrinate or lead by peace is missing out the fact that, and lets take a big example here, the entirity of Tibet was once ruled entirely by the elite monks of Tibeten Buddhism, including the current Dalai Lama, and was subjected to a fuedal state of living that was pretty much as backwards as anything in the Dark Ages. Do you honestly think that that's some sort of good? Keeping people psychologically contained much in the same way as Catholicism in the west?

If we use indoctrinate in its most basic definition, 'Teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically', any promise of eternal happiness or some kind of personal mental freedom presented as a face value is a major selling point of ANY religion, even friggin Scientology, and that seems to be the only thing Buddhism has going for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #62
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
assign to it whatever you term you please. religion, philosophy -- bullshit is bullshit no matter what you call it.

Hear, hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #63
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
I have a few asian friends and they say buddhism has gods?^

edit: to strat

Maybe not gods, but devas and celestial beings do exist in buddhism. It also depends on how much influences it got from Hinduism or conversely East Asian deities.

Last edited by Cianyx : 11-29-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #64
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
bullshit is bullshit no matter what you call it.

exactly, ascribe it whatever fancy names you want, but just because a progression emphasises the M6 doesnt make it Dor-
wait.

Oh, hi, fancy meeting you here.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 11-29-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #65
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Quote:
bullshit is bullshit no matter what you call it.

QFT.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #66
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Well, this thread turned to shit quick...

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #67
CG Man16
hey

Churches everywhere would shit themselves if they had to pay taxes. Philosophies don't cut down operation costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
CG Man16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #68
Carnivean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
Well in that case we better start teaching it in schools ASAP.

I bet you think it's totally okay for Islamist governments in the Middle East to teach Islam in schools too, huh?
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #69
JackWhiteIsButts
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean
I bet you think it's totally okay for Islamist governments in the Middle East to teach Islam in schools too, huh?

Yes, they are Islamic countries, their populace identifies as being Muslim, and those citizens who are not Muslim would benefit from learning more about the history, religion, and culture of the countries they reside in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I hope there will be more mass shootings. At least 4-5 a week. I want it so that everyone is personally affected.
JackWhiteIsButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #70
Carnivean
Banned

Quote:
Yes, they are Islamic countries, their populace identifies as being Muslim, and those citizens who are not Muslim would benefit from learning more about the history, religion, and culture of the countries they reside in.

and you're probably not religious yourself are you?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #71
CG Man16
hey

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
CG Man16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #72
JackWhiteIsButts
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean
and you're probably not religious yourself are you?

I don't see how my own religious beliefs or non-beliefs come into play here. The fact of the matter is that religion can be taught in schools in a scientific way and it would be beneficial if schools held mandatory theology and religious study courses. It's crucial towards understanding human experience/motivation and history and how they interplay and it is worth studying in an academic setting.

When you go over Mayan ritualistic sacrifice and other religious aspects of their culture you don't worry about indoctrination then. I don't see why Islam or any other religion should be treated differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I hope there will be more mass shootings. At least 4-5 a week. I want it so that everyone is personally affected.
JackWhiteIsButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #73
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

If Christianity isn't a religion, then doesn't that mean that Bill-O's church is committing tax fraud?

Baltimore Orioles: 52-42
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2013: 8-8
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #74
blake1221
‭‭

I don't give a ****, you are ALL missing the absolute gold mine at 2:14

"...not coooolll...."
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #75
Butt Rayge
UG Resident

I can't wait til he dies.
Butt Rayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #76
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
I don't give a ****, you are ALL missing the absolute gold mine at 2:14

"...not coooolll...."

Seriously, how has this not been mentioned yet? Steve Carell levels of deadpan from O'Reilly.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #77
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Seriously, how has this not been mentioned yet? Steve Carell levels of deadpan from O'Reilly.

My dad and I burst out laughing.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #78
blake1221
‭‭

Atheist bitchman was being such a twat with the whole taking offense at "christmas tree."
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #79
ErikLensherr
Banned

I got 1:10 in when they started on about the "winter solstice" and ran out of ****s to give completely.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #80
Carnivean
Banned

Quote:
I don't see how my own religious beliefs or non-beliefs come into play here. The fact of the matter is that religion can be taught in schools in a scientific way and it would be beneficial if schools held mandatory theology and religious study courses. It's crucial towards understanding human experience/motivation and history and how they interplay and it is worth studying in an academic setting.

When you go over Mayan ritualistic sacrifice and other religious aspects of their culture you don't worry about indoctrination then. I don't see why Islam or any other religion should be treated differently.

It's relevant because you just seem to be another "I'm not religious, religion is stupid, get stupid religion out of American schools, but oh yeah, let Islamist societies teach Islam in their schools, because that's totally cool" person.

So, Islamic schools in Middle Eastern countries need to teach the religion in a scientific way, too huh?

Rate This Thread: