User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #81
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidguitarist
I'm a Buddhist and Buddhism is a religion.

You're a white Buddhist through. There's a difference.
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #82
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean
It's relevant because you just seem to be another "I'm not religious, religion is stupid, get stupid religion out of American schools, but oh yeah, let Islamist societies teach Islam in their schools, because that's totally cool" person.
I have no idea where you might have gotten that idea. I am American and I think religious studies should be taught here as well. Religion, culture, and history are all intricately interwoven and you cannot get a proper understanding of any of them unless they're examined simultaneously.

Quote:
So, Islamic schools in Middle Eastern countries need to teach the religion in a scientific way, too huh?
Yes.

JackWhiteIsButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #83
bradulator
through being cool

Buddhism is a religion and Christianity is a religion and if you think it isn't then you're a loser. Philosophy is one aspect of all religions, so religions are pretty much always philosophies but philosophies are not always religions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Yeah, it seems absurd humour is lost on most people these days. You numpty.

Buddhism is still at the very least, religion-like; there's reverence of holy figures, you're encouraged to further the aims of the overall rulebook (or all the sutras combined) and there's still heavy emphasis on made up supernatural cop outs ie 'enlightenment', 'inner peace' and so on that require the individual to do absolutely nothing except 'beeeliiieve, maaaan'.

Wow, you should learn about how Buddhism is pragmatic and doesn't urge followers to just "beliiiieve maaanananan." It's about the practical things you can do to free yourself from the sufferings of this world and blah blah blah yada yada yada.

Like, if that's what you think Buddhism is then wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE
There doesn't seem to be much to it from what you're saying, aside from some attempt to 'improve' oneself using rituals and theological mental conditioning. Religion isn't entirely how YOU'VE seen it in the media, either: Your implication that the Buddha didn't indoctrinate or lead by peace is missing out the fact that, and lets take a big example here, the entirity of Tibet was once ruled entirely by the elite monks of Tibeten Buddhism, including the current Dalai Lama, and was subjected to a fuedal state of living that was pretty much as backwards as anything in the Dark Ages. Do you honestly think that that's some sort of good? Keeping people psychologically contained much in the same way as Catholicism in the west?

If we use indoctrinate in its most basic definition, 'Teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically', any promise of eternal happiness or some kind of personal mental freedom presented as a face value is a major selling point of ANY religion, even friggin Scientology, and that seems to be the only thing Buddhism has going for it.

Everything in life is susceptible to that sort of corruption. Siddhartha didn't even force people to believe what he did. He simply taught what he did and why it worked for him and then told his followers to try it out but if it did not work, then don't do it.

Anyway, that video is still really funny and he talked about it at the beginning of his show tonight
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #84
blake1221
‭‭

Brad, generally, everyone discredits what EpiExplorer says.

It's a rule of thumb.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #85
bradulator
through being cool

Oh i've never seen him before.

BACK TO WATCHING THAT VIDYA MORE TIMES FOR HUMOR REASONS
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #86
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean
It's relevant because you just seem to be another "I'm not religious, religion is stupid, get stupid religion out of American schools, but oh yeah, let Islamist societies teach Islam in their schools, because that's totally cool" person.

So, Islamic schools in Middle Eastern countries need to teach the religion in a scientific way, too huh?

As an American I don't want religious teaching taught in our schools in any way that isn't historical/cultural.

That being said, what other countries do is none of my god damn business. They weren't founded on the idea of the separation of church and state, and thus to hold them to the same standard would make one a ****ing ******.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #87
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
Uhh, guys... He's right. Christianity is a group term for all religions believing in Christ, but not an actual religion itself. There's thousands of religions that identify as Christian (Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and the bazillion protestant religions), but Christianity in itself is not a religion.

Granted I didn't read and don't know what he's claiming, but the title is technically factual.

Wrong.

-Michael Faraday

Original Wood&Strings Song
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #88
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheModernBible
Christianity is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus as presented in canonical gospels and other New Testament writings.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #89
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
exactly, ascribe it whatever fancy names you want, but just because a progression emphasises the M6 doesnt make it Dor-
wait.

Oh, hi, fancy meeting you here.

let's not turn this shit into pumpkin soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Atheist bitchman was being such a twat with the whole taking offense at "christmas tree."

as an atheist myself (and a very, very fervent one), i am very proud that he and his group are working to get us rights and recognition in this united states of america, a country that is (supposed to be) one of the leading nations of the world (imagine that).

but sometimes, i am very displeased with the way he (and others) represent us. they represent atheism as though it were a religion, and the people who treat atheism as though it were a religion are far worse than any tight-ass roman catholic or radical muslim.

i personally enjoy christmas a lot. i couldn't give two shits about christ, and the whole holiness thing is a bunch of bullshit to me. but i don't mind calling it christmas. and i certainly do not take offense at christmas trees - that's just ridiculous. perhaps it's because i don't treat it as a religious tradition, and i see in it things of a more personal nature, so it's just a regular tradition to me. but regardless, it kind of gives us a bad name when a leader of one of our groups goes out there and bitches about how offensive christmas trees are.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #90
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
Oh i've never seen him before.

BACK TO WATCHING THAT VIDYA MORE TIMES FOR HUMOR REASONS

2:14
Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #91
Carnivean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
As an American I don't want religious teaching taught in our schools in any way that isn't historical/cultural.

That being said, what other countries do is none of my god damn business. They weren't founded on the idea of the separation of church and state, and thus to hold them to the same standard would make one a ****ing ******.

So say this country wasnt founded on that separation. Would you be okay with religion in school (as taught as fact)?
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #92
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
but sometimes, i am very displeased with the way he (and others) represent us. they represent atheism as though it were a religion, and the people who treat atheism as though it were a religion are far worse than any tight-ass roman catholic or radical muslim.

i personally enjoy christmas a lot. i couldn't give two shits about christ, and the whole holiness thing is a bunch of bullshit to me. but i don't mind calling it christmas. and i certainly do not take offense at christmas trees - that's just ridiculous. perhaps it's because i don't treat it as a religious tradition, and i see in it things of a more personal nature, so it's just a regular tradition to me. but regardless, it kind of gives us a bad name when a leader of one of our groups goes out there and bitches about how offensive christmas trees are.

this christmas guy makes sense though. i mean if you were going to create a new country altogether, you'd listen to this guy on this certain issue right? i don't care about whether it's christmas or winter solstice, but i don't care about many things, and i'm actually sort of glad there are people who do, or else nothing would ever change.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #93
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf

Yeah, all though atheist jihadists and that institutionalized child-rape within atheist circles really have to stop!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #94
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist

It's always funny when Christians try to sound liberal and open-minded by saying something like "I'm christian, but I hate religion/organized religion."

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #95
ErikLensherr
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
Yeah, all though atheist jihadists and that institutionalized child-rape within atheist circles really have to stop!

Hitler was an atheist, Todd.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #96
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Hitler was an atheist, Todd.

i no rite and stalin and polpot and all of them ching chong commies

Hitler was a catholic
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #97
ErikLensherr
UG Fanatic

Was he really? Bleh. That sucks.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #98
WaterGod
SEC *****es!!!!!

WaterGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #99
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
And, considering the different denominations and congregations and synods (etc.), that makes it an organized religion...WHOA, DUDE!...

QED, Bill O'Rielly is a fucktard!

He makes true fucktards look like MENSA candidates.

Bill O'Reilly is the biggest pile of file spewing vermin on the planet.
He is entire body is a waste of skin.
Bill O'Reilly makes a suicide bomber look like a reasonable well balanced person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings

Last edited by CodeMonk : 11-30-2012 at 02:51 AM.
CodeMonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #100
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap
It's always funny when Christians try to sound liberal and open-minded by saying something like "I'm christian, but I hate religion/organized religion."

I don't see the humor in someone who sticks to their faith but still recognizes the shortcomings of their own religious institutions, and thus wants to distance themselves from it.

Rate This Thread: