Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
SeanX3187
UG Senior Member

Question Need help with computer audio 5.1

Hey guys, I have an iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz) that i need to make fully surround-sound capable.

I'm currently just using a pair (2) of M-Audio AV40 Studiophile monitors which are active and i want to connect at least a subwoofer and my 2 big pioneer boxes because those have 12"s

I'm pretty sure i'd need to get rid of the active speakers, because if i were to connect all of my speakers to one unit, the active speaker would probably mess it up, or just be unnecessary. If i had a sound card with the Red + Black speaker wire spring loaded things, the active speaker has no speaker wire input, just TRS and RCA.

i've tried to find those type of sound cards (with speaker wire outputs) online and haven't found much of anything. I've found mostly ones with optical audio, or like 10 little headphone jacks which to me sounds terrible. I suppose i could use one for optical audio and send that to a real system and run surround through that, but i don't have the thousands of dollars i'd want to invest in a system.

If i sound like an idiot, it's because i kind of am. Once i get something i'm good but i haven't been able to use any external sound cards neither have i even held one in my hand so idk what i'm doing here.
thanks in advance.

Last edited by SeanX3187 : 11-29-2012 at 05:45 PM.
SeanX3187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Dazzl1113

http://us.store.creative.com/Creati.../B0044DEDCA.htm

How about something like this?

Pretty cheap, can use optical or RCA connections. Connected to all sorts of different speaker setups.

Its a simple USB connection to your iMac.
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Dazzl1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
SeanX3187
UG Senior Member

that's actually pretty ideal.
I'm looking at pictures and theleft/right rca is easy enough, but i see there's one jack for "Rear."
Would i need 2 speakers connected to a single 1/8" cord almost like headphones for that?

Also is that a good model? by that i mean, are the real reviews good?
There are so many useless reviews out there that are either 5 stars or 1 star without good reasoning for either.
I personally can't compare reviews because like i said I know nothing about this, so all i see are stars and buying like that has screwed me in the past.

Last edited by SeanX3187 : 11-30-2012 at 12:17 AM.
SeanX3187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: