Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
DaysofGrace
THE Rhythm Guitarist

How can you get more sustain on a scream?

So, I generally sing clean as it's easier to do for extended periods (However, I do growl a lot on higher notes). Anyway, I've been trying to get into screaming vocals more because I really like the contrast it gives to clean singing.

I can't seem to get much sustain on my screams. I can hold one out for 3-5 seconds if I'm lucky, but it just kind of drops off or turns into a squeak (which is rather embarrassing).

Do you have any advice for this? I thought maybe my technique was off, but the way I do it is the only way I can keep from hurting myself.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Acou97

hold your breath under water for longer everyday

EDIT: Seriously though it will build your lung capacity and allow you to scream longer in whatever way you want

Last edited by Acou97 : 11-30-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Acou97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
merriman44

Just breathing exercises and practice brudda. Here is one to get you started:

Push your diaphragm out as far as you can. Then make pursed lips and let out the air as slowly as you can. If you are doing it right it will sound like air leaking out of a tire. This will definitely help you get yourself coordinated. Once you have a better understanding of your total breath capacity, you'll be able to hang on a bit longer.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
DaysofGrace
THE Rhythm Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acou97
hold your breath under water for longer everyday

EDIT: Seriously though it will build your lung capacity and allow you to scream longer in whatever way you want

I'm glad you edited that. I thought you were being sarcastic. Haha. I don't know how I feel about this, though. It just seems a bit sketchy. It seems like it might be harmful. I'll keep it in the repertoire in case I can't get anything else to work.

Thanks, man.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
DaysofGrace
THE Rhythm Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Just breathing exercises and practice brudda. Here is one to get you started:

Push your diaphragm out as far as you can. Then make pursed lips and let out the air as slowly as you can. If you are doing it right it will sound like air leaking out of a tire. This will definitely help you get yourself coordinated. Once you have a better understanding of your total breath capacity, you'll be able to hang on a bit longer.

That's interesting. I'll give 'er a try and see if there's any improvement (I assume it's something you need to do daily, no?).

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
merriman44

Yes, as much as you can. It's not necessarily going to strengthen anything. Instead, it will make you more aware of your body, and more importantly, your breathing.

Good luck. It will really help.

by the way, holding your breath won't do a damned thing for you unless you wan't to go diving.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: