Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
cobain868

Need help pick out stuff for guitar?

Im new to these forums because I wasnt getting much from yahoo answers soo here i am.
Im getting a electric for my birthday been playing acoustic for awhile
and I just need some preferences considering ive never dealt with electric guitar's,amps,amp heads whatever else and
My budget is like 500-600 dollars I think? but anyway I was looking online and found this and keep in mind Im going for a Nirvana sound so Im considering this Squier telecaster

with this amp
Fender 25r frontman 1x10

and probably a distortion pedal Like Boss DS-1

and I know that getting a hands on will do better for me and probably will if they have the guitar im looking for at GC when I go there to see what they have
but im building like a I dont know a possibility factor here with these
but i wouldnt mind just ordering it online either soo please give me some type of advice guidance to buying an electric
cobain868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan

That's a good guitar, but you can probably do better for an amp. I would recommend a Blackheart Handsome Devil, Jet City Amps JCA20 or a used Fender Blues Junior. You can easily afford a good tube amp, which will sound a lot better and last a lot longer than the Frontman as you get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
That's a good guitar, but you can probably do better for an amp. I would recommend a Blackheart Handsome Devil, Jet City Amps JCA20 or a used Fender Blues Junior. You can easily afford a good tube amp, which will sound a lot better and last a lot longer than the Frontman as you get better.

Not to mention better resale value on them if needed.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

5-600 definitely means tube amps.

I'm fairly sure he used a DS-1 and a Rat for his main distortion sounds. BUT DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT. That's what I remember reading.

Two cheap amps in tampa area
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:48 AM   #5
Dan_5893
Interdit

While Tube amps are fine to suggest, remember that he is new to electric guitar. Sure, there's nothing wrong with having a tube amp as a first amp, but tastes change over a while, and it's all well and good spending the money on a tube amp that does what he wants now, but if in 6 months time he needs to upgrade or change amps because what he's playing has changed then it's a waste of time. Not to mention he needs a guitar too.

With a budget of $600 in mind, you're probably best off investing in a somewhat decent guitar, as well as an amp that will do versatility as well as sound good. This means modellers more than anything, although there are some pretty versatile small tube amps. Personally I'd split that right down the middle, $300 for guitar, $300 for amp.

On the guitar side of things, most of the Squier stuff is ok. Avoid the Bullet Strats and Tele's, but the cheaper stuff isn't awful for a beginner guitar. The Lower end Ibanez's are also very good guitars for the price.

If you want Nirvana to a tee, the Squier Vintage Modified Mustang will do it too. The Vintage Modified stuff is actually pretty good.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...688-i2518199.gc

Basically with guitars, it comes down to playing them yourself, as it's as much about feel as it is about sound in most cases.

The remaining half of the money should be spent on an amp that will be versatile enough to handle any possible changes in style you might have.

If you're set on valves, grab a VHT Special 6 combo. They're pretty versatile amps, and will cover the Nirvana stuff well. They've also got enough in the way of versatility to cover most of the rock spectrum, and if you grab a boost, you can probably do a bit of heavier stuff too.

However, for absolute versatility, you can't go past a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. You can pick them up for $300 or less used on the GC website all day. They're highly regarded amps, they sound pretty legit and they're great value for money too. They will cover everything tonally too, so you have plenty of options should you wish to start playing other styles of music later on. The regular Vypyrs are good too, but when you can get the Tube version for under $300, that'd be the way to go.

This is mainly referring to new gear (apart from the Vypyr). If you decide to go used the possibilities become endless.

TL;DR

Split the $600 equally between guitar and amp. Grab a Squier VM Strat/Tele/Mustang and a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and you'd be set, and have a fairly decent setup too.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Dan_5893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I believe the guitar is going to be a gift and does not factor into the budget. I don't necessarily disagree with the versatility option, but for example let's say he gets the Vypyr. Now he may really like the Mesa, or the JSX, or whatever else. He'll probably wanna trade in the Vypyr for the real thing too. Please don't take this argumentative, just my perspective.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
Dan_5893
Interdit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I believe the guitar is going to be a gift and does not factor into the budget. I don't necessarily disagree with the versatility option, but for example let's say he gets the Vypyr. Now he may really like the Mesa, or the JSX, or whatever else. He'll probably wanna trade in the Vypyr for the real thing too. Please don't take this argumentative, just my perspective.

I saw him ask if the Tele was a good choice so I assumed the guitar was included in the budget, I'll await clarification from TS, but if the $600 turns into amp money completely, we're in business.

I don't quite get what you're saying with the bolded. Are you making the "the models are good but they won't be as good as the real thing point"?

If so, I do agree with this. However the idea with the Vypyr is that by getting it you have the ability to cover any tonal possibilities that you may want to cover. Sure, the real amps will do those tones better, but at the end of the day the idea of modellers is to get as close to the sound of the original as possible, and provide a larger variety of tonal options than the amps they model.

Sure, the JSX (and a fair few other amps) are plenty versatile. My V3 does pretty much anything. But at the same time, for someone who knows nothing about amps (as TS confessed to) it's probably a lot more sensible for them to go for the modeller, which would require less tweaking to get to the desired tones. It's more of a plug, set and play solution than a fully blown tube amp.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Sure, there's nothing wrong with having a tube amp as a first amp, but tastes change over a while, and it's all well and good spending the money on a tube amp that does what he wants now, but if in 6 months time he needs to upgrade or change amps because what he's playing has changed then it's a waste of time.
=================================

I was addressing this point mainly. Even with a Vypyr or pod etc. He will probably want an upgrade soon too. I agree much more with the point you just made though. It isn't a bad idea to get a modeller that will almost certainly have a couple tones he likes right off the bat.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
Dan_5893
Interdit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
I was addressing this point mainly. Even with a Vypyr or pod etc. He will probably want an upgrade soon too. I agree much more with the point you just made though. It isn't a bad idea to get a modeller that will almost certainly have a couple tones he likes right off the bat.

Ah gotcha. At least with the modeller he has the ability to play through models of various different amps, leading to making a more informed upgrade decision rather than getting back to square one again, where you have no idea what amp you want for the new styles you're playing.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
cobain868

Hii im going to clear some things up
this is a gift and parents gave me a budget and said pick out guitar and amp so yeahh
I have a budget of 500-600 for both guitar and amp
and I think 600 is kindve pushing it just all depends really
I dont want a mustang nor the jaguar's because I dont want just a cheaper version of kurt's guitar if im going to get a mustang or something im going to get the real fender but thats just a personal preference
and I kindve like the way the tele looks because I had a thought that all squiers suck but this one looks pretty good
and I might have someone switch the humbuckers to like seymour duncans in couple months or sooner if the humbuckers on it dont work out for the sound but kurt used those and alot of grunge players
which would help with the sound im going for
and I dont know much about solid state and tube so the sound im going for should I get a tube?

Last edited by cobain868 : 11-30-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Starting out a modeler would be the best.

YouTube fender mustang, peavy Vypyr. Box has one as well as Yamaha.

Try to make sure one that you get has a 12" speaker.

Basically they give you a well rounded sound choice for a cheap price. You aren't stuck to one style of music.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
cobain868

alrightt soo I didnt change my mind on the telecaster

but you guys said peavey so something like this would be perfect
Peavey amp

or should I still get the fender amp???

Last edited by cobain868 : 11-30-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Don't buy the frontman, just don't. It's hard to find a shittier amp.
A Vyper would be a fine option. Find a guitar that feels nice in your hands and spend the rest on the best Vyper you can afford with the money left over.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Dan_5893
Interdit

If you can get the Vypyr Tube 60, get that instead.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...236-i1997762.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...321-i2717211.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...145-i2693210.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...579-i2754616.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...378-i2844779.gc

All of those are from the GC website and are around the $250-300 mark. They'll be much more worth it that the regular Vypyr. Don't worry about buying used, GC have a warranty on used things too I believe?

^ Geez Cath, do you ever sleep? Isn't it like 4am over there

I'm actually a Brummie.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobain868
alrightt soo I didnt change my mind on the telecaster

but you guys said peavey so something like this would be perfect
Peavey amp

or should I still get the fender amp???

That will work. Contrary to the nonsense of some, many of the Squier guitars are pretty competent instruments.

You should NOT get the Fender amp.

If you can possibly stretch, get the Vypyr 60, as has been suggested, even if you have to go used. It will absolutely be worth it.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I'm a nocturnal critter, Dan. Must be all those years of gigging at night. But then again just about every critter in Australia is nocturnal, it's too damn hot during the day.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-30-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
Dan_5893
Interdit

Point taken

I like Squier guitars Some of them are built really well for the price. In fact I prefer my Squier CV Tele to some of the lower end Fender teles. I would stay away from the Bullet stuff like the plague though, and the Vintage Modified Tele's are worth the extra money over the Affinity ones.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
cobain868

alrightt soo im getting The Squier tele

and either this Peavey amp

or this peavey ampp

only 50 dollar difference but I kinda want to get a Boss Ds-1 pedal which is like 50 bucks :p

now these amps are Tube amps rightt? and this is stupid question but i could use a distortion pedal on either of these right?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Honestly, the biggest downside to modellers is that they tend to hate pedals. It's not a concrete rule, but it generally just doesn't work the greatest. The Vypyr 60 is tube, the 30 is solid state.

I would say you should try to go to GC and play some guitars, especially used. I found an HSS Ibanez that played great, it was 60 bucks and had a screwy jack. I regret not buying that guitar sometimes. Would have been a very easy fix. You can generally find a used Fender Tele for the same price as a new Squier. Something you learn with guitar gear is, unless your loaded, always go used. Everything used is pretty much about half-price. My local GC has a wall filled with used guitars, plus a bunch of them on stands on the floor bunched together. I just wouldn't jump right into a guitar.

You say you've been playing acoustic, do you know anything about single coils vs humbuckers?

Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #20
cobain868

yeahh I play a takamine right now and I dont know much about single coil and humbuckers but i do know thats what I need for the sound im going for reasoning alot of grunge players use humbuckers.
and I dont really want a telecaster like a original one they dont look like the guitar for me but this tele looks awesome the maple neck and the 3 way switch the humbuckers and just my personal thing i dont like the original headstock on telecaster's but I like this headstock like a mustang headstock or something I went to GC once and tried a few guitars soo I have some type of sense but yeah I dont know alot about single coil and humbuckers nor tube and solid state
soo tube is good for pedals but modelers no pedals

Rate This Thread: