Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
Dan_5893
Interdit

With the Vypyr you won't need the DS-1 at all. They're god-awful stock pedals anyway. Kurt's DS-1 was modded to hell and back and it was also a proper vintage one, which were quite good. The $50 difference in price is peanuts for the difference in quality. The Vypyr Tubes are probably the best entry level modellers out there.

Modellers take most pedals fine, but you have to use them smartly. They hate overdrives and boosts, for instance, though you wouldn't need one since you have access to higher gain models anyway. I had no problems running fuzzes or distortions through my old VT15, but it hated ODs, and you have to run all pedals on the clean channel.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Dan_5893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #22
cobain868

Alright thanks dude

yeahh i looked at a video it has distortion on it and everything thats GREAT! but I thought that would be like a solid state if it had those? but its a tube amp? someone explain something to me thanks..

and I was wondering how would I and Could I switch the distortion to clean on the fly? like a foot pedal or somethingg?

but I think I have a everything picked out now might just order online maybe im not 100% yet :p

so far Im getting The Squier telecaster

and also the peavery vypyr tube 60

Im still kindve looking and I found these cheaper peaveys but just wondering if there any good

this one
Peaveyy

and this one peavey ampp

Last edited by cobain868 : 12-01-2012 at 04:13 PM.
cobain868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
YamiFrankc
Mexicano

With the vypyr you can use the Sanpera I and II pedals, they give you a lot of space for more presets, give you one or two expression pedals and lets you access the looper function.
But i think buying one now will surpass your budget? :question:
Sanpera II new is 230 ( http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-...XGP&cagpspn=pla ), and about 183 used ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...?condition=used ).

These wont work with the smaller 15W vypyr
Carvin 112 cab in White
YamiFrankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Get the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.
it will sound better than any other amp you've listed so far, combined.

That Tele is a good choice as well. I quite like it. You can also swap the pickups later on.

Do yourself a favor and skip the DS-1. Pedals will not work well with the Vypyr amp, I have experience.

If you can't afford the Peavey Sanpera 2 footswitch then go for the Sanpera 1. it will let you switch between effects and clean/distortion.

To answer your question about pickups:

Single Coil pickups have one coil, or magnet with a wire around it. Properties of these include:
-thinner sound
-don't handle high gain very well
-they have a sort of "spanky" sound
-They emit more static noise than humbuckers (hence the name hum-bucker)

Humbuckers, or Humbucking pickups have two magnets wound together. this eliminates a lot of static noise. Some properties include:
-fatter sound
-less "spank"
-handle high gain (distortion) much better than single coils
-far less noise

hope that helps.

oh, a quick guideline to grunge players and their tones:
Nirvana - high gain, lower midrange (but not scooped), more bass, more treble, humbuckers
Pearl Jam - lower gain, more a classic rock-y tone, medium treble, medium-high midrange, lower or medium bass, and singlecoils for lead (Mike McCready) and humcuckers for rhythm (Stone Gossard)
Alice in Chains - high gain, medium midrange, more treble, medium bass, humcuckers
Soundgarden - Medium/high gain (depends on the song), higher treble, medium mids, and medium to lower bass, humcuckers

Last edited by ihartfood : 12-01-2012 at 07:04 PM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #25
cobain868

alrightt cool thanks guys glad I came to these forums

I will be getting that telecaster!!

and I might get the peavy vypyr tube 60 if I could if im not pushing on the price but if not sooner or later I will get that amp because honestly seen some reviews looks AWESOME! and seems I could crank it

but if not I might just get the peavey vypyr 15w 1x8 as a temporary amp and probably will get the tube amp in like a month or two

I will take other suggestions if anyone else has any other suggestions

but so far I will be getting the tele and either the 15w vypyr or the 60w amp if I could get away with the price

AND THANKS ALOT for the settings if I want to play nirvana alice in chains that will help ALOT thanks man!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
losing battle
UG's Underpants Gnome

Used fender strat or jaguar for guitar line 6 flextone or Vetta the amp.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
cobain868

OKAY just realized I need a gig bag!!!!
I dont need or want a case right now only moving the guitar will make is to my lesson and thats like every saturday :P
but I want a cheap one dont care about the brand aslong as good case
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #28
Dan_5893
Interdit

Don't waste money on the 15w Vypyr if you plan to upgrade man. You will lose money that way.

Get an AXL gigbag. It's what I have for my Cort and it's a decent bag for pretty cheap too. I use it because it's easier to transport like that (it fits between my drummers legs) when I'm driving us to band practices/gigs.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Dan_5893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #29
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Modelers have everything built inside. They have all the distortion sounds and effects you need. They are designed not to need any pedals. Vypyrs even have modeled distortion pedals built in. I bet you'll prefer the built in distortion sounds of Vypyr to the sound you are getting with DS1. I know it's cool to have a pedal but it's not necessary and you'll notice that it might be a waste of money.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #30
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

why don't you pitch in a little money and help your parents out on the amp, that way you could afford the better one (vypyr tube)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #31
losing battle
UG's Underpants Gnome

That's assuming he has a significant ammount of money to begin with. Also I stand by my fender strat/old line 6 recomendation. They completly slay the viper in every concievable way.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #32
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

uh.
no.

the flextone is on par.

but no.

And you want him to get a strat? For grunge, mainly nirvana? no. He also says he prefers the Tele shape.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #33
cobain868

yeahh im getting that squier telecaster I dont want a strat

and im probably going to get the Vypyr tube if I could

also yeahh i cant pitch in much money im still trying to get a job right now and thats not really working out considering im 15 and only like 2 or 3 places would hire me but there already taken i turn 16 soo better chance getting a job or whatever..

I was looking at some used peavey amps and What about the peavey studio chorus 212 2x10? for like $100
Peavey chorus amp
although what is a chorus amp?...

or what about this? Other peavey amp.

but if these dont succeed my needs I will probably just get that peavey 60 tube amp
im just not sure I just need a amp for my bedroom, and I need a case for my lesson
and cases dont go cheap either
Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #34
cobain868

Or this Peavey bandit??

OH and can i order these used thing online and have it shipped to me? (dumb question..)

Last edited by cobain868 : 12-02-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #35
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

the peavey bandit will do the deed, but really dude you're throwing your money away. I understand finding a job at 15 is difficult (i did it last year) but you are going to lose money if you buy an amp and then the Vypyr Tube 60.

If anything, just ask for the guitar and then the rest of the money in cash, mow a lawn of two and buy the Tube 60.
it does not make sense to throw your money away, however eager you may be to get a new amp.

yes you can order used items from guitar center and have them shipped to you.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #36
cobain868

alrightt thanks man and i didnt think of it that way cant mow lawns till like spring though because its december now... xD
but i could always babysit my niece :p

And Im just working out a "IF" factor if my parents say like too muchh or something hope I will be able to get it and thanks for answering my question

and I will defiantly get that peavey tube 60 at anyway possible thanks!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #37
cobain868

Oh and just wondering I mentioned a fender amp and you guys turned it down pretty fast and wondering why is peavey better than fender amps? me not knowning much just curious :p

like this Fender amp

Or This one

surprisingly theres alot of fender frontman 212R 100w 2x12's

this One comes with a foot switch :p but just out of curiosity why is peavey better than fender for the grunge sound im going for? :p
Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #38
evmac
Baroness Lover

Don't get the Fender Frontman, Peavey Bandit, or Marshall MG (not that u have mentioned it, but it's a popular amp in your price range). Either Vypyr is a good choice, though the others are right when they want you to get the tube version. Just save up and get it, then work on your skill and be assured that you have an amp you won't outgrow.
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #39
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Asking about Fender vs Peavey is pointless. A Frontman isn't really a Fender, it's a cheap crappy solid state Chinese amp that just happens to have a Fender badge.

You have to talk about particular amps, not brands. Peavey make all sorts of amps, some suitable for grunge, some not. Same with Fender.

Get the Vyper Tube 60. Stop looking at Frontmans, they're complete crap.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #40
cobain868

Alrightt cool im done looking around now getting that peavey tube 60 then and the squier telecaster thanks guys these forums are pretty Awesome!

Rate This Thread: