Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
sweetdude3000

In the market for a metal guitar

I know this has probably been discussed before but I wanted to know what would be the latest guitars to check out if I am primarily interested in playing metal. I know it's about tone for the sound, but I am looking for something that will be comfortable for playing all around the neck, something that looks metal, and has a tremolo arm. My budget is $1,000 but all I care about is getting the most for my dollar and would prefer playability and reliability over looks. I have been advised that a guitar with a tremolo can prove to be high maintenance and can get out of tune quickly, so maybe some suggestions on that. I'd like some specific models so I can test out and see what would be suitable for me. The recommendations I have been give so far are the Schecter Hellraiser and anything by Ibanez. Suggestions would be a tremendous help so I'll have a better idea of what to look for since I have only owned one guitar.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Nakon14
Breekachu

Well, just about anything with humbuckers is ideal for metal.

What kind of amp do you have? This will honestly have a much bigger impact on your sound than a new guitar will

As far as models and brands, I'd shy away from Schecter, in my experience I haven't played a guitar of their's that I've been fond of. In that price range, you can certainly look into the Ibanez Premium line, and some used Prestiges as well. Another thing to keep in mind is if you want passive or active pickups. Active pickups are generally decent for an all-encompassing "metal" sound, but they're pretty focused on that sound and thus not the most versatile choice. Also, and this is especially true of EMGs, the acoustic qualities of the guitar itself won't be transmitted as well since with EMGs you're pretty much getting the sound of the pickup, and not too much of the wood/neck/etc (This could also be a big reason why I don't like Schecters, a ton of their guitars come with EMGs standard).

Definitely play around with both active and passive pickups, since the variety of sounds you can get is pretty wide.

Also, with the tremolo, I've had a few guitars with them recently, and while initial setup after changing strings might take a little longer, they keep their tune quite well, even with heavy whammy usage. Another thing I really like with a lot of Ibanezes is the ZR trem system. It's pretty much the same as a FR, but on a ball bearing instead of a knife edge, (so movement is VERY smooth) and the best part is having a thumbwheel on the back of the guitar to adjust the spring tension which really cuts down the fiddling time with new string setup
Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
sweetdude3000

Cool so stay away from Schecter then. I am just going on what other people say so their opinions may or may not be too valid based on their limited experience.

The current amp I have right now is the BugeraV5 5W 1x8 Tube Guitar Combo Amp Black. It's not a big amp and I know I'll have to upgrade. It sounds ok (just okay, well it actually sucks and is extremely limited but that's what you get for $150.) for what I have been playing like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath, but I have been playing long enough and beginning to get more serious. From what I have read, the Peavey 6505+ is a good choice for metal guitarists.

I'll look into the Prestige line. Any particular model or does it matter? Any others to try out or will that be a pretty solid bet? Thanks!

Last edited by sweetdude3000 : 11-30-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Malazan66

No, don't stay away from Schecters
Malazan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Sounds like you don't know if you want a tremolo. If you don't think you need it, then don't get it. There is always someone would asserts that changing the stings and setting up a Floyd takes 10 minutes when you get used to it, but I've owned many Floyd equipped guitars, and I'm still slow as hell when it comes to that stuff. So my recommendation is to avoid one if you don't think you need it.

With what you said about your amp, I recommend you buy an amp first, and then use what you have leftover for a guitar.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Nakon14
Breekachu

Hmm, I'd certainly look into splitting some of that budget for a 6505 then, I think the combos are about 600? (and less used)

What's the guitar you have now? It could be worthwhile to invest a little in it in addition to a new amp to refresh your sound
Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

Evaluate your amp situation first. That will have the biggest impact on your overall sound. Then look at pedals, than at your guitar.

Metal players have used guitars with all kinds of pickups, though there is some variability in the prevalence of a pickup type depending on sub genre. Passive HBs are most common, followed by actives, then singlecoils & P90s.

With all that in mind, you realize that most "metal guitars" are about visual aesthetics. There are guys who play metal on Hello Kitty and Daisy Rock guitars (see YouTube). There is nothing wrong with this.. Part of being an entertainer is projecting an image. So, the reason why you see the majority of metal players with Schecters, Deans, Ibanez, etc. is because they deliver the combination of visual aesthetic and certain mechanical features (pickups, neck profile, scale length, etc,) more often than other brands. If you just looked at raw specs with no pictures, you'd probably be surprised.

I agree that, if you're not set in having a tremolo, you probably don't need one. I have a double-digit number of guitars- only one has a trem. They're a nice tool for your arsenal, but they introduce their own challenges.

So, TL;DR: when you buy a guitar, buy a guitar that has the right specs & feel for what you want, looking at quality of build before aesthetics. I'd look at all those brands you see high-profile metal guitarists using, plus Godin, Reverend, Fernandes, and anyone else putting out quality axes in your price range.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-30-2012 at 03:52 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
tael

I dont think schecters are so bad. My hellraiser kicks anything in its price range ass IMO. Look into them, I think the model with a floyd rose is just inside your price range.
tael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
sweetdude3000

I own a Michael Kelly Patriot which plays nicely. The only issue I have with it is that it's 22 frets instead of 24. I definitely want a tremolo because I am a huge Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Children of Bodom fan and I like the effects you can get from a tremolo. I just want to be careful about getting the wrong guitar with a cheap tremolo system. It is frustrating that the frets and tremolo limits me for some songs.

Sounds like a Peavey 6505+ 112 60W 1x12" Tube Combo Guitar Amp would give me a lot of time to enjoy the music and not worry about minor details. Then later I can invest in a 24 fret guitar w/ tremolo which is ultimately what I want. I wasn't sure if there were guitars that made metal playing easier with more room on the neck and smaller necks. I do fine with what I have for now though.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

If you are in the U.S.A., check out the offerings from Carvin. For your budget, you can get a first-rate guitar that would cost at least twice as much from the major manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz

Ditto that! Carvins give you a LOT for your $$$.

Also, this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFS-RPAodglcAjA

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
sweetdude3000

Any recommendations on what specs to look for in a metal guitar when buying a Carvin. I'll educate myself on what the specs mean, but I am not sure what to look out for when buying a specific model.

I bought the 6505+ combo and it is a damn nice amp.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
Any recommendations on what specs to look for in a metal guitar when buying a Carvin. I'll educate myself on what the specs mean, but I am not sure what to look out for when buying a specific model.

I bought the 6505+ combo and it is a damn nice amp.

Carvin has several models to choose from, and once you pick a model, the sky is the limit on your oprions. You get to choose the body wood, top wood (if you want any), neck wood(s) and construction, fretboard wood, hardware, fretwire, finishes...the works!

Check out their website and if you are still puzzled, give them a call or shoot them an e-mail. In my experience, they're good people.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/custom...tarfeatures.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

I wouldn't say stay away from Schecters. I'm not a huge fan of their guitars (LOVE their basses though!) but some people love them.

Just go to a music store and try anything that looks good, really.

Or just get a Carvin.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

Carvin and schecters all are wooden guitars. OP wants a metal guitar...
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
LP_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_CL
Carvin and schecters all are wooden guitars. OP wants a metal guitar...

HAhahahaha
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
jokejohn3

Thumbs up

SCHECTER
LTD/ESP
IBANEZ
JACKSON
jokejohn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

You can get a phenomenal deal on a used Schechter, just saying. Guitarcenter's used section on their website is flush with hellraisers for dirt cheap prices.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: