Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Standarduser

Need a little help on using my voice

Well, im not really going to start learning to sing, since i want to grip the idea of guitar first really good. BUT - i still want to be able to hum or sing the notes im playing in order to develop aural hearing. Problem is that when i DO start learning to sing, i dont want to start off with bad technique. Im not humming/singing "la, sol, fa" when i strum them, and only after 10 minutes ive felt pain beneath my adams apple.

Any ideas on what to do?
Standarduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
Sing with your diaphragm
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
Duce180

You'll be safe doing simple hums and or simply singing the note, as long as you dont feel pain. If you do start to feel pain then stop, and take a day off. Theres alot of resources out there to get you started, noteably youtube. A couple lessons with a vocal instructor would do you alot of good to get on the right path though, thats the best method of getting the basics down.

Edit: I forgot you said you have pain below your adams apple. Thats strain, when doing these exercises, make sure not to sing to loud, keep it real soft if need be, and dont go to high up in range yet, if you start feeling discomfort then your going too high in range. Learning to do 'lip rolls/lip trills' would help you a ton, search youtube, and make sure you get it down right. Also make sure you stay hydrated. For a beginner make sure you dont over do it, keep your practice times 30 minutes max, if you can only handle 10 minutes then just do that amount for now.

But ill offer some tips.
To start, learn to breath effectively. Heres a good exercise to learn (from the Vocal Exercise thread): First, try to hold your breath.... You probably noticed that when you hold your breath you close off the top of your throat to prevent air from going through. That's actually digastric tension that you don't want to use, but often gets used in holding your breath and with singing.

Try taking a breath again, but this time DON'T close off your throat, it should all be held in using your abdominal muscles. Once you get to the point where you can hold your breath sufficiently just using your abdominal muscles and not your throat, try to produce a vocal fry WITHOUT tensing up (look up 'vocal fry' on youtube, its really simple, its basicly a light distorted crackle sound, but you got to hear it to learn). This is hard but the more you practice the better you'll get. Once you get the vocal fry happening, create a fuller tone SIMPLY by adding air. Thats how the vocal chords should be used at all times.

(to feel what its like to use your diaphragm, lay down on your back and breathe, see how your stomach breathes in and out? thats what your singing breathe should be like)

Id also suggest you learn to "lip roll" (also refered to "Lip trill" a simple very common vocal exercise, again, search youtube) along to scales on your guitar, as this will help your breathing technique, release strain, and focus your tone more effectively.

A good scale to do vocal exercises with is the "long scale" (i think it might be referred to something else though). It goes like this:

e:---------------------
B:---------------------
G:---------------------
D:---------------------
A:-----4-5-7-5-4----
E:5-7-------------7-5
(its just a short major scale)
Then just transpose it up your range half step by half step to the top of your range then back. It takes a little practice to learn it and sing along, but you'll catch on quickly.

Then if you want you can also use the "Octave scale". This will work on your range and pitch.
e:---------------------
B:---------------------
G:---------------------
D:-------7---------------
A----4-7--7-4----------
E-5-----------5----------
(same process, transpose by half steps up your range, then back down)

You can experiment with other stuff(i like messing around with pentatonic scales), but these scales are used predominately in vocal coaching from my experiance, as they work your whole range)

Have fun man, dont be afraid to sing simple songs either, just dont try doing anything advanced like screaming/yelling/growling/grit/rasp..etc.. just yet.

Last edited by Duce180 : 12-04-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: