Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
jigman586

Swamp Thang in a Special 6 Ultra??

I been thinking(at suggestion of Dave Mc) of swapping speaker out in my Combo to improve tone and brighten the tone a tad.But not give up all my vintage tones.Just asking around to see if any one else has tried these speakers.Have not ruled out the Texas Heat either.
jigman586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

not to derail the thread, but another thought just hit me- an eq can help with the brightness problem too. I use the cheapo joyo one (which is actually not bad). the danelectro one is meant to be quite nice, too, but i haven't tried it. Again, going on the philosophy that it's a fairly cheap amp and probably not worth getting a super-expensive eq.

that's not to say you shouldn't swap the speaker, too- but it might mean you don't have to only consider super-bright speakers, lol. Now that i've thought of that (sorry, i'm a bit slow today ), i would probably veer towards the texas heat (along with an eq).

But (sounding like a broken record here) I would email eminence too to see what they suggest. there might be a perfect speaker which I haven't tried or thought of.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-01-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
avery5150

Well i'm not sure if the swamp thang is a great match. Because the swamp thang has a huge magnet (i think it has a rms power rating of 150 watts!). i don't know what that would sound like through your 6 watt amp, but it would be undoubtedly clean and undistorted due to it's power handling. i looked up the frequency range and if anything it would certainly add more bass. so if you want to brighten the tone, the Swamp Thang sounds like the opposite direction you want to take. but i think the bottom line is it would be a improvement over the stock ChromeBack speaker in the special 6 ultra.
avery5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
jigman586

I also looked up the WGS Et65 (think thats it) as a possible upgrade.Iit has a 65 watt rating just has more of a british tone.and i also plan on getting a joyo ultimate drive to get my OD(maybe an OCD if Santa is good to me,lol
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ if you're in no massive rush I'll try my et65s with my special 6, just to see how it sounds. I keep meaning to do it but never get round to it.

EDIT: also, just so you don't get the wrong end of the stick, i'd say vintage (american-style) speakers tend to be on the brighter side of things, while more modern ones tend to be darker. You won't lose the vintage tones if you get a brighter speaker, it's the more modern, higher gain (and pedal distortion) tones which will suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery5150
Well i'm not sure if the swamp thang is a great match. Because the swamp thang has a huge magnet (i think it has a rms power rating of 150 watts!). i don't know what that would sound like through your 6 watt amp, but it would be undoubtedly clean and undistorted due to it's power handling. i looked up the frequency range and if anything it would certainly add more bass. so if you want to brighten the tone, the Swamp Thang sounds like the opposite direction you want to take. but i think the bottom line is it would be a improvement over the stock ChromeBack speaker in the special 6 ultra.

yeah. I wouldn't worry overly about the power rating, unless you're desperately in need of speaker breakup- and even then, there's only *some* correlation between wattage and breakup, some speakers break up more quickly and/or sound kinda dirty almost regardless of the wattage rating of the speaker.

As i said in his other thread, there's going to be some form of compromise if you want a speaker that sounds good both clean and distorted, especially with an amp like the special 6 which is kinda dark-sounding on the cleans. If all he needed were to maximise the clean tones, i'd say to just get a legend 1258 and be done with it. Really nice sparkle out of that, and I didn't even need to use my eq any more. Problem is, that speaker would be way down my list of choices for overdriven/distorted tones.

As i said, using a cheap (but decent) eq pedal might be one way to sorta have your cake and eat it too (without resorting to modding the amp's tone stack values). that would (hopefully) let you get something like a texas heat, which is pretty versatile for both clean and distortion tones, and which doesn't sound too vintage nor too modern so it works reasonably well for most things.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-03-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
jigman586

Thumbs up

OK Dave.That would be great! I am in no rush it will be a couple more weeks at least before i am ready to buy one any way.Just let me no when you get done bro.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no worries, will do. If you don't hear back from me, bump this thread in a couple of days. I might try it later on today but i don't want to make any promises in case i don't get round to it/forget.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Ok, so I gave it a go. For once I actually got round to doing something when I planned to do it.

I tried it with:

2 greenbacks in a 2x12 closed back cab (i actually tried those by accident, I thought I was plugged into my ET65 cab )
2 ET65s in a 2x12 closed back cab
Eminence legend 1258 in a 1x12 open back cab
Eminence Red White and Blues and Screamin Eagle in a 2x12 open back cab
Then I tried the RW+B and SE separately
Then I tried the legend 1258 again
Then i tried the copperhead that I have in the special 6 combo (it's a 10" speaker, so not a whole heap of use to you, I just tried it for teh lulz).

(My texas heat and swamp thang aren't in cabs at the moment so I couldn't try them)

I was actually surprised by how good the cleans sounded with the greenbacks and et65s. That's the good news- the cleans still sounded pretty fendery (more so with the et65s). The bad news was I didn't think they really helped the (pedal-based) overdrive and distortion tones. And I still preferred the clean tones with my american-voiced speakers (basically all the other ones I tried).

Best all-rounder was the 2x12 with the RW+B and SE- that's to be expected, of course, because everything else being equal, 2 speakers will generally sound better than one. But that sounded almost as good clean as the Legend 1258 or copperhead, and much better overdriven.

Unfortunately, that's not an option for you considering the special 6 ultra is a 1x12, so I tried those two speakers separately. I've rearranged my room since I last tried them (previously they were on the floor, now they're stacked on top of another cab), but I was actually surprised by how they sounded. Previously I thought the RW+B was very dark (too dark). It seemed a bit brighter now- you can still tell it's on the darker side of things, but it had a little sparkle/treble that I hadn't really heard before. It also sounds nicely "vintage" and very "fendery", without sounding like bees in a jamjar when you use distortion boxes. Whether they're starting to break in, or it's the effect of being up high (or a bit of both), i dunno, but there you go.

The screamin eagle also sounded pretty good- it's brighter, but it's not *that* bright. And it probably handled pedal distortion better than the legend 1258. it does have a slightly weird compression that I'm not sure I like on its own (that goes when you combine it with the RW+B), but it's also a nice speaker.

I realise this is only making your choice harder, but either the red white and blues or screamin eagle may be an option, too- as i said, i'd previously discounted them because I thought they worked best together (and they do, to be fair), but they're definitely usable on their own, too. Especially if you get an EQ pedal as well. I'd also point out (didn't think of it earlier) that the reverse of how I suggested using it would also work- you could get a brighter speaker and then use the EQ to tame the treble/brightness when using pedals.

I guess, depending on what's more important, you could choose which way to do it- if sparkly cleans are more important, get the legend1258 and kick on the EQ for dirt; if dirt is more important, get the texas heat or red white and blues and kick on the EQ for cleans.

As I've said (many times ) though, I'd still email eminence to see what they say. There may well be a speaker I haven't thought of or haven't tried which would do exactly what you want. It might also be worth asking if they have any single speaker that sounds a bit like a red white and blues and screamin eagle combined (I did like that combo best as an allrounder)- I suspect they might say "texas heat" But it'd still be worth asking and then you'd know.

I only have the bog standard special 6 so I wasn't able to try the ultra channel with these speakers. I was also only trying the thing at reasonably low volumes. And obviously those are all my personal opinions, so you may not agree (heck I might try the thing tomorrow and not agree ).

EDIT: oh, one other thing. If you are thinking of pedals, I would seriously consider the mooer black secret (it's a RAT and turbo rat clone in one) if you're willing to buy from e.g. ******** (and hence get a good price on it). If you ask me it's more versatile than the joyo ocd clone, and the filter control on it is pretty powerful, I could tame the treble sufficiently on it, even with the bright speakers, without having to resort to the EQ pedal. It's very, very nice (if mine is anything to go by) and also very versatile (as i said, it'll do a passable overdrive and fuzz too if set right).

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-03-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
jigman586

Well Eminence gave me a whoile different recomendation.I told them i wanted to brighten up my tone some without losing my vintage crunch and they suggested the Redcoat series Man O War. and i was thinking as you said i could widen the tone spectrum too by running a EQ pedal.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

did you mention you wanted an american-voiced speaker?

that happened me too when I asked for a recommendation for the 1x12 cab i was gonna run with my special 6- they suggested a governor I didn't really want one though as i already had vintage 30s (and the governor is their version of a v30). I told them that and they gave me a bunch more recommendations.

fwiw- the man o war may well work. I haven't tried it, but it's their version of a g12t75, which is not a million miles removed from et65s (except the g12t75 sounds a bit more modern, has more bass and is probably more scooped). It's definitely a celestion (much like the et65) which, while still celestiony, is perhaps not quite as celestiony as some of the other models.

However, as i said, it might be worth replying to them (obviously thank them very much for their help) and asking if they did an american-voiced speaker which would work, too. Just to have as much information available as possible, which never hurts. Even if you do decide to go with the manowar- which is fine by me, you get whatever you think will work best, obviously. If you're happy, I'm happy.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-03-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
jigman586

I asked and they dont have a American voiced unit similar to the Man O War. I will probably go with their recomendation.No one knows their products better than them i guess.LOL if nothing else i get one and dont like it i can always sell it.(or put it in a seperate cab and keep it)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yep, i'd be wary of going against their recommendation too. Let us know what it's like when you get it

Rate This Thread: