Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_cobain9
Either. If they both sound the same and played the same, it would make no difference which one I picked up. They both would suit my need.

But one is Susan Boyle naked!
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #22
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddynbob
But one is Susan Boyle naked!

and your point? I've already said I could care less what they look like as long as they play comfortably and sound good.

kurt_cobain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #23
Paddynbob

Quote:
and your point? I've already said I could care less what they look like as long as they play comfortably and sound good.

But it being unpleasant to look at is surely different?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #24
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

not really. If I were a mechanic, sure, I'd want my tools clean, in the sense that I need them to be functional, but if they looked pretty to me, It would probably mean that I haven't been using them. the wrench that is a bit dinged up, a little rusted and has some patina is just as good as that shiny looking wrench in the tool box. They're both wrenches and both work well and do what I need them to do, so what do i care as to what they look like?

Last edited by kurt_cobain9 : 12-08-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
Paddynbob

Quote:
not really. If I were a mechanic, sure, I'd want my tools clean, in the sense that I need them to be functional, but if they looked pretty to me, It would probably mean that I haven't been using them. the wrench that is a bit dinged up, a little rusted and has some patina is just as good as that shiny looking wrench in the tool box. They're both wrenches and both work well and do what I need them to do, so what do i care as to what they look like?

well, what if it were to make less people come to see you play?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
Robbgnarly

Quote:

Dude, why are you so hung up on looks? what matters is the sound, feal and how well you can play it to make it sound good.

Don't worry about looks, you already decided to do the mod right? live with your choice and play the hell out of it.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #27
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:

Nobody is going to decide whether or not they go to a show by how the guitarists guitar looks, It'll probably look different, and maybe a little odd, but honestly one of my friends plays a bass that is more duct tape and wood glue than it is wood, and his band still gets a good crowd for most of their shows.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #28
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

Quote:

wouldn't make difference to me. if they're there for my guitar and not the music, then i wouldn't want them at my shows any way.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Some people are stubborn here...

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
Some people are stubborn here...

Exactly!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #31
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Dude, why are you so hung up on looks? what matters is the sound, feal and how well you can play it to make it sound good.

Don't worry about looks, you already decided to do the mod right? live with your choice and play the hell out of it.

I'm not hung up, it just annoys me when people say aesthetics makes no difference, e.g. the scenario i gave. Theres no shame in liking the way a guitar looks as long as it doesn't influence whether you buy/use that guitar or not.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #32
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
I'm not hung up, it just annoys me when people say aesthetics makes no difference, e.g. the scenario i gave. Theres no shame in liking the way a guitar looks as long as it doesn't influence whether you buy/use that guitar or not.

You made it sound as if you wouldn't do it if you didn't like the way I looked. In reality noone cares how your guitar looks but you, it won't hinder show attendance, it won't make you sound better, it won't get you in a band any better (unless they are a bad glam metal band). I was at this show where these guys had 4 guitarists, and each one was a different one of the dean mustaine guitars with the cool decals in front, I couldn't stay through it because the whole group sounded like ass, including the drummer.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #33
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
You made it sound as if you wouldn't do it if you didn't like the way I looked. In reality noone cares how your guitar looks but you, it won't hinder show attendance, it won't make you sound better, it won't get you in a band any better (unless they are a bad glam metal band). I was at this show where these guys had 4 guitarists, and each one was a different one of the dean mustaine guitars with the cool decals in front, I couldn't stay through it because the whole group sounded like ass, including the drummer.

There's BAD glam metal?

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #34
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
There's BAD glam metal?

Last edited by Viban : 12-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #35
Paddynbob

Quote:

If i cared about looks, i wouldn't have gone for the tribute. Its block white, no binding, finish stripped round the edges. It just winds me up when people act as if theres some sort of shame in liking how your guitar looks. As long as you don't let it influence your decision, in my mind, its fine
Old 12-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #36
Paddynbob

The hole has been drilled
Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #37
Paddynbob

Got the guitar back - done.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #38
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
If i cared about looks, i wouldn't have gone for the tribute. Its block white, no binding, finish stripped round the edges. It just winds me up when people act as if theres some sort of shame in liking how your guitar looks. As long as you don't let it influence your decision, in my mind, its fine

Why shouldn't you let looks influence your decision? It's your guitar. You're the one who has to look at it every time you pick it up to play. If it looks like horse meat, it's going to hurt you every single time you do just that.

Quote:

It's about how you feel about it. **** whatever other people think. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. If it sounds and plays like shit, but all you're bothered about is the fact that it's gorgeous then I don't really see the problem with that. I happen to agree with you about the crowd noticing. The fact is, they're not going to notice whether or not it sounds like a shit guitar. 90% of tone is in the fingers, anyway.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #39
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
Why shouldn't you let looks influence your decision? It's your guitar. You're the one who has to look at it every time you pick it up to play. If it looks like horse meat, it's going to hurt you every single time you do just that.

It's about how you feel about it. **** whatever other people think. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. If it sounds and plays like shit, but all you're bothered about is the fact that it's gorgeous then I don't really see the problem with that. I happen to agree with you about the crowd noticing. The fact is, they're not going to notice whether or not it sounds like a shit guitar. 90% of tone is in the fingers, anyway.

Exactly.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #40
Paddynbob

What was the point of this thread again?

Rate This Thread: