Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
ws6transam

I Want To Completely Re-Learn Guitar????...

I've been playing guitar for about a 1.5 years. I feel like I have developed some bad habits and I have dramatically gotten worse in the last 9 months. I think the most effective strategy to get me back on track with my playing is to start from nothing and work my way up again.

What are some good songs that I should learn that will improve my guitar playing skills but are easy to play????...

What are some good techniques to learn????...

Any extra advice????...
ws6transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Geldin

Every song you learn will make you a better guitarist in some way or another. Learn the music you want to learn, not what I want you to learn.

Every technique you learn will make you a better guitarist. Learn the techniques you need for your music, not the techniques I tell you.

My advice is to get a good teacher and have him give your technique a once over. If you think you've got bad habits and don't know how to address them, get a teacher who can tell you what you're doing wrong and how you can fix it.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

If you don't have the money for a teacher, find a better guitarist and jam with him, you have no idea how much faster you learn when you have a teacher right there correcting your mistakes. I was lucky, one of my best friends was very good at the guitar and when I went off to college my roommate was a shredder (I hate shredding but he taught me a lot regardless)

The Legion
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
guitarscales
UG Newbie

Everything and anything mate! Every time you pick up your guitar you learn something new! Just get over those bad habits, find ways to kill them and you will make it! I would advise playing some oldies to get started with: some Beatles or whatever. If you'r not into that stuff then go for Greenday: their songs are really easy to play and are pretty good.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Billy Corgan did this, but he was already rocking.

I think you just need to focus on the mistakes you think you have. I practice a lot of technique, learn songs with that technique in and practice those parts until I get it clean. I can play most things (whether it's played well or not is a different matter ) but you should see my pinkie, it's all over the place, ready to take off.

But I love blues, rock n roll, I'll never play like Steve Vai so I don't know if it matters. If it comes to the point where it's a problem I'll correct it, but then I see people all the time play super fast and clean with a crazy pinkie so I don't know if it's worth my time to spend a month gaining independence on a finger that so far does all I tell it to.

Your position is unique because you want to correct them early, so correct them, you seem to have insight which is a great thing.

Get a teacher who you feel is good and tell him/her your concerns. They should help you iron it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Caseywtf

What are the bad habits you believe you have?
Caseywtf is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: