Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Jacob Huggins

Exactly how does this reamping process work?

Alright heres my set up: Audio Interface: Focusrite Saffire 6, has 2 options, an instrument and pad options, it seems that when i use the instrument option i get clipping no matter what but i get the best quality, the pad option is where i can turn up the gain quite a bit, but i dont think the quality is the same, i do both of them together (if thats even good for the interface) and i can turn up the gain to 4 without getting clipping. Some background about the interface: 24 bit/96 kHz w/ super low latency (dont know exactly but its pretty low). Im using Ableton Live as my recording software. Now this is what Im confused about, do i simply plug my guitar into the interface, interface into the computer and start recording? Or do i use an amp sim to get a good clean sound and then start recording. I've listened to dry tracks from this website:http://www.faderwear.com/guides/re-amp.shtml, as you can hear, his dry track is sooo clear and clean, mine (when using the instrument and pad together) are very bassy and not as nearly as clear, do i have to do something after im done recording the tracks to get it to sound like this, or should it sound like this as soon as I plug into the interface? Some professional help by people who have experienced this before would be very helpful. Thank you
Jacob Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

The pad button, to my understanding, is to reduce the gain input by 20dB (may be a different number to 20). So if you get clipping even from minimal input level on the interface, pressing the pad button will allow you to get a better level. It shouldn't make any other difference to my understanding. Just turn the gain up on your amp/virtual amp to get your gain levels back up with the pad button in.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Jacob Huggins

Ya that's what I figured. Is there anything special I need to do to the guitar after its done being recorded, I've read (on that link in my posting) that you need to adjust something to -3 on the highest wave or something like that, what does this mean and is there anything else I have to do before sending the tracks for reamping
Jacob Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: