Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
D3M0N1C

Help & advice needed on new guitar and amp setup!

Hi all, apologies for creating yet another which guitar thread, but I really need help!

I've been in the market for a whole new setup for a while but only just getting round to it. I started playing a few years back but due to an inferior first guitar and lack of time, I didn't get very far, then life got in the way and I stopped playing. Anyway, my point is, I did play and I did love it, so this time I don't want to make the same mistake.
I'm looking for a whole new setup and haven't really set my mind on anything just yet, but I've been looking at a fender strat or tele.
I'll give you as much information as I can and post back if I narrow it down some as I'm shopping and doing research right now, I'm trying to sort it out this week or next so I get it before xmas, any help is greatly appreciated

Budget: £1000 (For everything, Guitar, Amp, Cables, Headphones etc.)
Genres: Rock
Favorite artists: Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Kooks, Razorlight, Guns n Roses, Smashing Pumpkins, Audioslave.
New or used: Preferably new.
Home or gig: Home/Home Studio

Old equipment: Maverick X1 Guitar, Laney CK30 Amp, Boss ME20 Effects. (Hated them both, Amp sounded awful and the guitar was bulky and felt too long, also never stayed in tune).

My thoughts so far: Don't like floyd rose tremolo, (or at least not the one on the Maverick).
I'm looking into the Fender Blacktops and would like something with good playability.

Thanks in advance, Dom.

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-02-2012 at 12:31 PM.
D3M0N1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

1) between 45-60% of your budget should go into your amp: its the biggest factor in determining your sound's quality and tone.

2) with that in mind, I'd take a good look at Godin, Ibanez, Reverend, DBZ, and Fernandes.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
AeonOptic

For a lot of the older stuff a strat would work well, and I'm pretty sure Billy Corgan uses one too. On Thomman you can get a Mexican strat for under £400, which may be worth looking into, if you aren't extremely picky about the build location.
As regards to effects, unless I'm mistaken Gilmour and Hendrix often used fuzz faces. There is a pedal by the name of the 'MXR Classic 108' which is essentially a fuzz face in a more convenient shape-those go for about £70+ new. If you're particularly into Gilmour's guitar work, a delay would be worth looking into. I don't have much experience with delay pedals though, so I'm not going to recommend one.
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
D3M0N1C

Hey dudes, thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
1) between 45-60% of your budget should go into your amp: its the biggest factor in determining your sound's quality and tone.

2) with that in mind, I'd take a good look at Godin, Ibanez, Reverend, DBZ, and Fernandes.

I'm pretty sure I want a strat or tele but when it comes to amps I really haven't got a clue I'm afraid! You don't mention Marshall on your recommendations, any reason why? I was looking at the following:

Marshall MG15CFXMS Micro Stack
Fender Mustang II
Hughes and Kettner TubeMeister 18 - (Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is just an amp head right, and needs to be paired with a speaker? Would I be ok just using this with headphones and getting a speaker at a later date?) I really like this, would look awesome in my setup!

As for my budget, I was thinking £500 for a guitar and maybe £300-£400 on the Amp, £100-£200 on other bits! I know I made I big mistake last time when I purchased a cheap Amp so won't be doing it again! Wasn't exactly inspiring to listen to, not even when an experienced player used it

Hey Aeon, thanks for the input, I probably will end up with a strat of some sort, but as for effects I think I'll worry about that after I've chosen my Guitar & Amp, its doing my head in as it is
Old 12-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Do not, I repeat, do NOT get the Marshall MG series. It's pretty shitty. I'm also not a fan of the Fender Mustang.

And yea, MOST of your budget should be on an amp. I'd much rather play a midrange quality guitar through a great amp and sound pretty good than a GREAT guitar through a shitty amp and sound shitty.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

The tubemeister 18 has no headphone jack. It is good amp, though, and not too expensive. The budget marshalls generally suck, especially the MG series. The TM18 is based off of an 18w marshall. Strats look like a good choice, many of the artists you listed use them, and an HSS strat could probably do everything you listed quite well. Forget effects for the moment, The mustang's distortion models really suck, and I think you'll need good distortion for those styles. Look at a G&L tribute legacy or find a MIM fender strat that you can try first and you like. That will put you in a good place to worry about the rest later.
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Robbgnarly

Look for a used JCM2000 DSL401c
It will do all that you want. It has good cleans, great classic marshall crunch (plexish), and will do more modern stuff easily also.

David Gilmore was using a JCM2000 DSL for a while, so I think that will speak for its self
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

In your price range, you can get a nice tube combo amp from Fender, Vox, Egnater, Peavey, Orange and many others. I'm sure there are affordable Marshall tube combos in your price range- I just don't know for sure.

My personal take on things is to look more for quality than high wattage. I have a Fender HRD 40w combo, which has plenty of both, but with my life situation, i don't pump that thing over 4. For what I spent, I could have bought a pair of lower wattage amps of similar quality that had different voicings.

I love my HRD, but it doesn't handle metal all that well. I don't play a lot of metal, but i play some, so when I do... So I'm looking at Orange...had I bought a smaller Fender, I would have had that Orange all these years.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-02-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i'd get a traynor ycv50b on thomann (~£450 or so depending on the exchange rate. You'll need to get a UK kettle lead but that's maybe a tenner, if even that. )

guitar... it's up to you, really. the vast majority of what you're playing is single coils, however guns and roses is humbuckers. a tele/strat hybrid might be a nice idea (fret king does quite a nice one) but you still wouldn't have humbuckers. If you want a straight-ahead strat or tele i'd probably get a japanese-made tokai with your budget (they're generally around the £500... sometimes you can get a deal on them for closer to £400, though) as long as you're ok with a vintage spec strat or tele.

while you're getting the traynor on thomann, i'd maybe pick up a couple of harley benton's rebranded joyo pedals- they're clones of sought-after pedals for very little money, and the advantage of buying them from thomann is that you get the 3 year warranty, plus if my (and other people's) experience of thomann's warranty with cheap gear is anything to go by, they don't even ask you to send the faulty one back. Which is pretty handy, parcelling things up is a pain in the ass. I'd probably get the vintage overdrive (it's a tubescreamer clone, and a tubescreamer-style pedal is very handy to have for boosting your amp's overdrive channel to get more gain and saturation). Up to you if you need anything else- the delay is quite nice and would be useful. most of the others are pretty nice too (apart from the chorus, i wasn't too fussed on it), but mightn't be "necessary" as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

For Strat/Teles?

Echoing Fret King; reierating Godin, & Fenandes; adding G&L and Tradition. One of those should et you a decent HHH or HSS guiitar in your price range.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-02-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
kindadumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonOptic
As regards to effects, unless I'm mistaken Gilmour and Hendrix often used fuzz faces. There is a pedal by the name of the 'MXR Classic 108' which is essentially a fuzz face in a more convenient shape-those go for about £70+ new.

David Gilmour's use of the Big Muff is legendary, while I haven't heard of him using a Fuzz Face. I'm not saying you're wrong - Hendrix was famous for the Fuzz Face, Gilmour might have used it too - but the Muff was more important to Gilmour's sound. You really can't go wrong having both in your arsenal.
kindadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

One thing you might want for copping Gilmour's sound is a Boss RT-20 rotary effect pedal. They aren't cheap or small, but they're damn good, and they are often used as demos in stores, so finding used ones in decent shape is quite doable.

(I haz one and luv it!)

Here's a guy (not me) using the the pedal to dial in a very Gilmouresque sound.

Now, he mentions using the TC Electronics Nova Delay- a damn fine pedal, but again, not cheap. If its not in your price range, you might look at the Line6 ToneCore Echo Park or the MXR Carbon Copy.

TC Electronics also has a smaller delay pedal, the Flashback.

Red Witch has the compact & affordable Violet Delay and the phenomenal (put PRICEY- nearly $400 these days) Titan.

The Moog MF-104 can probably do it all, and at $679, it damn well better.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-02-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
For Strat/Teles?

Echoing Fret King; reierating Godin, & Fenandes; adding G&L and Tradition. One of those should et you a decent HHH or HSS guiitar in your price range.

forgot about godin- good call. G&Ls are silly expensive over here- however, pro guitar shop does export them. But whether you'd want to buy a guitar from the other side of the world, I dunno. When you look at how much you'd be saving, though, it's more attractive

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.

You should consider going used. Your dollar will go A LOT further.

For the guitar, seems pretty obvious to me that you should get an MIM HSS Strat. They aren't hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Look for a used JCM2000 DSL401c
It will do all that you want. It has good cleans, great classic marshall crunch (plexish), and will do more modern stuff easily also.

David Gilmore was using a JCM2000 DSL for a while, so I think that will speak for its self

+1. Maybe also look into Egnater or Orange... it's hard for me to say because I'm not sure of pricing on things where you are. If you linked to a site you could order from, that'd be really helpful.

Given the amount of FX you need, and given your limited budget, I'm very inclined to say get a GOOD multi FX pedal. Something like the Line 6 M13 or M9 is budget is pressing. Of course like I mentioned initially you'll have to go used to fit all of this into your budget, but the tone will be worth far more than having a receipt or a useless warranty.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i agree your money goes further if you go used, but at the same time a warranty isn't useless if something just dies on you (especially if you know nothing about electronics). you could have an expensive paperweight at worst or at best have something in used condition that you paid no less for than a new version, once the cost of the repairs are taken into account. With no warranty if something else goes wrong- used can quickly become a money sink if you're not careful and just get a run of bad luck (which is unlikely but which can happen).

Of course- used doesn't mean it definitely will break. Of course it doesn't. And sometimes you get lucky and find someone who used it once and put it back into its box. Of course that's a good deal. But sometimes the "you're silly if you don't go used!" brigade acts like nothing will EVER go wrong if you go used, and that's silly too.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Every tube amp I've owned I've bought used. I've never had one "die".

My experiences are anecdotal... but unless you're buying a Bugera or some other cheaply made POS, there really isn't anything worth worrying about.

Then again, I have bought only Peaveys, so maybe I'm just spoiled by their reliability.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah i'd be wary of anecdotal evidence, especially with only the one brand. Aside from anything else, if it's been misused (say, run at the wrong impedance for hours on end at volume, or even run without speakers connected) that's gonna render the company's reliability more or less moot.

Not to mention... statistics matter very little when you're talking about individuals (or maybe they do and it's more that the way most people think statistics work, er, isn't the way statistics work ). It doesn't matter if I buy from a manufacturer with a 1% failure rate, if the one I happen to get is the one that fails. And without a warranty you're always sorta taking that chance. Plus sometimes you can get a lemon which is never really right even if it's fixed... with warranty you can get a replacement. Granted, i guess if you fixed it up enough you could sell it on and let the next poor sap take the hit... that doesn't sit too well with me ethically, though. If I knew something was dodgy i'd just take the hit. Which is another reason why used doesn't work out so well for me. Some people are willing to just buy used and if they do get ripped, pass it on to someone else. Not saying everyone who buys used does that, or anyone round here would do that, of course. But it does make it a lot less of a risk buying used if you are willing to do that.

I mean... i bought an HBE big d used, and i think it's dodgy (to be fair to the guy i bought it from on ebay, i think it has got worse since I got it, but at the same time I don't think it was quite right at the start, either... unfortunately it was just right enough that I didn't notice at the start ), it has a lot of background noise etc. It's still sitting in its box because I wouldn't have the neck on me to sell it to anyone. I think HBE will fix it for a fee if you send it to them, but being in northern ireland, postage might make that prohibitively expensive.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Don't buy pedals yet. Just buy the amp and the guitar. You can always buy pedals later when you feel that you need them. But first I would try to get a good sound without any pedals and then if you still feel that you need something, buy pedals. It's easy to spend a lot of money on pedals and notice that you use some (if not all) of them very seldom.

For example, I don't use my chorus pedal any more. I don't regret buying it but it was kind of €100 wasted money. My band's guitarist uses it though so it's not completely useless. But the clean channel without effects sounds good so I don't need the chorus.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Old 12-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
D3M0N1C

Wow! A big thanks to you all for taking the time out to help me, if I could buy you all a drink I most definitely would, I do appreciate it

I'll post back after processing all the information lol!

For now I'll just say that I may be able to push my budget a little higher if its going to make a difference, I'm willing to spend up to £1000 just on a guitar & Amp, I'll worry about everything else later. As for new or used equipment, I would rather have new because I know I look after stuff, so it should last....that being said I could cope with a second hand Amp, I'd just prefer not to lol, but a guitar I would definitely want new!

Also I'm 85% sure I'll be getting a Fender Strat of some sort, but I'm still pretty clueless about an Amp, you guys are helping me narrow it down quickly though! It will only be for bedroom use, so doesn't need the power to bring down the house, an Amp that produces great tone on lower volumes would be nice, also the majority of my playing will be late evenings and at night, so I'll be using headphones frequently.

Thanks for all the help so far!
Catch you later, Dom

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-03-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Rate This Thread: