Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 AM   #41
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

IMO MIM strats are still worth looking for. some of them are great and some not. i have owned over ten strats (on HY1 and one american standard), all other MIM. the current strat is a 1995 MIM. it is by far the best out of the strats i have owned. i like the pickups more from older strats than the newer ones.

by far most MIA strats are better than MIM strats, but there always is one worse MIA and one better MIM.

if you want to demo a large number of MIM's odds are you would find to your liking. i am happy with my strat, but probably will pick up another MIA in the future though.

but if you don't have the time or want to take the time to play a dozen on an MIM strat, scratch it off of the list.

godin is great from more of what i have heard (only played one for maybe 10 minutes, it was a nice guitar, but you can't judge much on one, but most on here like godin. so i have little experience but are found to be well respected here.

G&L are very nice guitars, most IMO are better than fenders in direct comparison but i have only tried the strat shape out. i have only played two though, so again, not really enough personally but the reputation is good.

for an amp i would look for either a Tiny Terror or an Egnater tweaker. the tiny terror can go down to seven watts (which is hella loud dimed) but managable for at night. i have the dual terror and i usually run it on seven watts and play until 3am, and i don't bother my wife or anything.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #42
dannyalcatraz

I keep meaning to get around to trying those two small amps out.

Which has the better clean? The better distortion?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-05-2012 at 03:26 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #43
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I keep meaning to get around to trying those two amps out.

Which has the better clean? The better distortion?

tiny terror/dual terror have no cleans whatsoever. all grit. i love my dual terror's gain. it is pure sex. i may have an old clip up with it and an OD on my profile, but it may not be there, i think all of my clips are like three years old, but

i owned the first generation of tweakers (waited 6 months on a waiting list), and they are pretty versatile, but again not much headroom. the one i had was 15 watts, and it had very limited cleans. but when you turn it up, they are lost.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #44
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Only buy online from sellers with a good return policy.

i agree, but sometimes if you buy from abroad (certainly outside the EU) they won't cover return postage and (especially for things originating in the UK, postage prices here seem to have been made up for their comedy value) that can get expensive pretty darn quickly. there's not much point in a store having a good return policy if it costs you so much to get it back to them that you think twice, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3M0N1C
(a) Thanks for stopping by Dave, yeah its doing my head in trying to narrow it down, (b)I definitely wouldn't order from a different country, I'm not brave enough to take the risk lol! (c) After a bit of thought, I don't think the Godins will be the quality I'm after either, (d) I kinda like the G&L tributes, if it weren't for the risk factor as you point out, are the USA builds that much better? If the pickups on the MIMs are that bad I'll probably give them a miss as I don't really want to buy a spanking guitar and start tinkering with it. (e) I'm also weary about the build quality of the Tokai, are they any better/worse than the MIM Fenders? (f) If I were to purchase a MIM Fender Strat, and replace the pickups with the EMG DG-20's, would it be worthwhile?

(g) I'm looking at a few more Amps if anyone has anything to say about them, with Gilmourish tones in mind:

Peavey Classic 30 - Too loud for bedroom use?
Laney Cub 12R?
Fender Blues Junior?
Fender FSR Hot Rod III Blues Junior 'Red Nova' Two-Tone?

From what I've read, most people seem to think Marshall Amps aren't a good choice for what I'm trying to achieve?

(a) no problem

(b) no worries, that's absolutely your choice.

(c) I'm just wondering what you're basing that on? I've only tried one or two godins, but i thought they were pretty nice. they're made in canada. I'd have said they were better than an MIM fender (certainly the standards), but I'd really want to try a few more to be sure.

(d) I'm honestly not sure. I've only tried the USA ones. Based on my knowledge of other offshore-built cheaper versions of higher end guitars (and also just basic economics- if the tributes were as good, how many USA ones would they sell?), I'm guessing there's a fair difference- but I think USA uses the same pickups on both, and as i said I haven't tried them so I don't know is the simple answer.

(e) if you ask me, the MIJ tokais (that's the ones around £500 or so... generally they say "Made in Japan" on the neck heel so it's pretty easy to tell) are way better than MIM Fenders. Fender makes guitars in japan and prices them above the MIMs (and also makes few of them available outside japan, as they know they'd kill the MIMs, and frequently handicaps the cheaper ones with cheap electronics and parts for the same reason). Fender outsources the Japanese production- Tokai, among others, has made guitars for Fender, in other words. That Fender prices above the MIMs. You're basically cutting out the middle man and getting a non-export Fender Japan guitar for MIM Fender money.

Bear in mind I'm an MIJ fanboy. So how objective the stuff I posted is, I dunno. But yeah I'd query the logic of thinking an MIJ tokai isn't good enough but an MIM fender is.

The only thing about the MIJ Tokais is, they're very much vintage spec Fenders. That means vintage radius, narrow nut, vintage neck profiles etc. If you like a more modern style of guitar you might want to look elsewhere (however, the GS100, which I've still seen in stock at a few online stores for around £400, is a more modern-style strat, albeit with 21 frets, and might be worth considering).

(f) maybe, but it'd depend on how good the MIM was and how much it cost overall.

(g) I still think the traynor is best. you'd have to order it from thomann in germany, but if my experience is anything to go by they're pretty good- i've had faulty stuff from them before and they pay return postage if something is faulty, and pick it up at your house (if you ask). For me (I'm in Northern Ireland) it's no different than buying online from a shop in England (and you're covered by the same EU-wide distance selling regulations- though returning something you don't like could be costly as international postage costs a lot). Obviously if you're right next door to a killer shop it might be different, though.

Bear in mind almost any tube amp (apart from ones with VVR or power scaling, basically) will be too loud for bedroom volumes if you want to crank it up to get power tube overdrive. if you're willing to rely on preamp tube distortion and/or pedals, then most should be ok as long as you don't need to be able to play at "not-wake-a-sleeping-baby" levels. But some amps are better at low volumes than others, so it does pay to try a bunch to see.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-05-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #45
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
i agree, but sometimes if you buy from abroad (certainly outside the EU) they won't cover return postage and (especially for things originating in the UK, postage prices here seem to have been made up for their comedy value) that can get expensive pretty darn quickly. there's not much point in a store having a good return policy if it costs you so much to get it back to them that you think twice, lol.

Good thing to keep in mind, to be sure!

Of course, sometimes, you simply don't have a choice because what you want isn't available where you live. Especially with something like guitars, where there are literally hundreds if not thousands of small-scale quality builders worldwide.

I live in a major metropolitan area in the USA, and there are brands I never see here...never HEARD of until I started hanging out on guitar-related boards. And then you get to see all those "help me buy a new guitar" threads from people in India, Iraq, Croatia...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-05-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #46
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ oh yeah, of course. personally I generally am willing to buy from abroad- but i've tried enough guitars now that i have a fair idea if I'll like the thing or not, so if it does have to go back, it'll probably be because the thing is faulty (in which case the dealer should cover the postage). But yeah it's a judgement call that each person has to make, and it depends on the individual circumstances, too.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #47
D3M0N1C

Evenin chaps, another quick thank you to everyone for helping me out! Your all so kind

After another day of racking my brain with decisions, I've changed my mind about some things:

A headphones port is no longer a deciding factor for me, If I need to play at night I'll just use my old Amp, its better than not playing at all right lol? I've given up trying to find a high end one with headphones out, its ridiculous!

My bedroom is quite large (If it makes a difference) - roughly 4m width x 5m length x 3m height, so about 50-60m square.

So, bearing in mind I'm trying to achieve Gilmourish tones, and be buying pretty much blind online from retailers in the UK, (Thomann/GAK/GuitarGuitar seem to have a good selection) I'd probably be better off buying a guitar with the most reliable build quality overall right? As stated before, MIMs are hit and miss, so buying one online is a gamble. As for the G&L's and Godins, I'm still researching them, the guitars themselves look pretty sweet, but whats the hardware like, pickups etc?

Also which pickups, or pickup combination would be best to achieve the tone I want?

Sorry if I'm being repetitive, but if I keep listing what I'm looking at, and scratching them off one by one, eventually my list should get shorter and easier to manage, if I don't keep adding to the list that is, lol!

Guitar:
Fender FSR American Special Stratoccaster SSS - Little over budget.
Fender American Special Stratocaster HSS - Little over budget.
Fender Classic Series 70s Stratocaster - Little over budget.
Fender Jimmie Vaughan Tex Mex Stratocaster?
Tokai Strat MIJ - Cannot Find in the UK?
Godin Session - Inferior hardware?
G&L Tribute - Inferior hardware/build quality in my region? I'd still consider these, depending how they match up with others on my list.

(The more money I spend on a guitar, the less I can spend on an Amp & effects) - Obviously

Amp:
Peavey VYPYR Tube 60 - Gilmouresque?
Traynor YCV50B - Gilmouresque?
Tubemeister 18 - Gilmouresque?
Peavey Classic 30
Laney Cub 12R - This gets a lot of praise, especially from bedroom Gilmour fans?
Fender Blues Junior

Effects: (I'm pretty sure I'll be getting all of these at some point, or something similar, unless anyone can suggest something better)
TC Electronics Nova Delay
Big Muff
Fuzz Face
Boss RT20 (Is there anything better to create the rotary sound of the Leslies?)

I'm sure I'll get there in the end, cheers

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-05-2012 at 04:36 PM.
D3M0N1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #48
dannyalcatraz

G&L and Godin are built like rocks: solid construction, good hardware- comperable to or better than Fenders of similar price.

The only thing that might be a problem would be pickups, and that would mainly be an issue of taste. But pickups are changeable.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #49
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

thomann is in germany, just to point out.

i think gilmour is generally a hiwatt. I'm not sure if anyone makes anything hiwatty at your budget (or anywhere close to it), but i could be wrong.

tokai

http://www.soundpad.co.uk/webshop/m...ai/tokai-gs100/

http://www.soundpad.co.uk/webshop/m.../tokai-gs100-2/ (i've never bought from soundpad)

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...n_Sunburst.html (that's a bit dear... rockem used to have them for more like £550 but they only seem to have the teles at the moment)

Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #50
D3M0N1C

Thanks for that Dave, I'd still probably order from Thomann although its in Germany, simply because there's a lot of people in the UK that use and rate them, if I couldn't get what I need from the UK that is. Yeah your right about the Hiwatts, I ain't gonna get one with my budget that's suitable. Have you ordered from Frets Guitar Center before? I haven't heard of them and it's a three & a half hour drive so can't check them out easily, unless I seriously consider that guitar, Its a long drive. I couldn't find the Tokai anywhere else though, & its much better than the other side of the world.

At just shy of £700 it is expensive, although it does come with a hard case. I could get one of the American made strats I listed above for just over £700, wouldn't they be better than the Tokai at that price?

Are we allowed to post links to other sites?
Please let me know if you come across anymore for sale, I didn't realize Tokai were so respected to be honest.

If its only the pickups that are an issue on the G&L's and Godin's Danny, I won't strike them off my list just yet, I'm sure I'd cope with the stock pickups for a while and getting one of those would give me more budget for an Amp & pedals, or maybe I'd have some leftover change which would be nice

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-05-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #51
dannyalcatraz

If you haven't already, try to find a couple of G&Ls and Godins in your price range being demoed on YouTube- that will give you an idea of what they may sound like.

Because the pickups are the only potential flaws I've found on those guitars, and that's all down to taste. The ones I tried sounded great.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #52
D3M0N1C

Cool, I'll do that Danny, both are worth considering because they're readily available in most decent stores and have a more consistent build quality than Fender, although it has been pointed out that G&L's are much better coming from the US. Any idea where the Godins are made, is it Canada? They're also much cheaper than my other options. Would you not favor one over the other with G&L and Godin?

I've also contacted Rockem and Frets Guitar Centre about the Tokais, I'm struggling to find anymore vendors in the UK.

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-05-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #53
dannyalcatraz

All Godins are made in Canada, as I recall, though they may have made some I the USA at some point.

As for one over the other...geeze...

I've gotten to try a few of each, and not a one has disappointed me. Put me in a room with a timer, and I'd probably pick one by color! My gut tells me that MiA G&L are probably the best made, overall, but the Godins seem to deliver more bang for the buck.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #54
wahalrus
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Hey,
Firstly, a guitar recommendation: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...t=review#review
very good MIM fenders for the price, i've played about 20 and only 1 was average in quality, the rest were amazing. If you go buy a Big Muff, DO NOT BUY THE CURRENT VERSION BEING SOLD. IT IS HORRIBLE. Buy a clone of an old rams head or triangle, you will be MUCH happier.
For your amps, the Peavey VYPYR Tube 60 is not Gilmourish by any means. The Cub 12R and Blues Junior are great amps for Gimourish style tones. Lastly, I know I will get a lot of hate for this, but check out a Bugera V22. It is the preamp of a Fender Twin mixed with a Peavey classic 30 combined with the power amp of a Vox AC30, and it delivers really great tones. A nice demo video I can recommend (not me playing) is Yes, it does sound that good.

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
wahalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #55
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Thanks for that Dave, I'd still probably order from Thomann although its in Germany, simply because there's a lot of people in the UK that use and rate them, if I couldn't get what I need from the UK that is. Yeah your right about the Hiwatts, I ain't gonna get one with my budget that's suitable. (a) Have you ordered from Frets Guitar Center before? I haven't heard of them and it's a three & a half hour drive so can't check them out easily, unless I seriously consider that guitar, Its a long drive. I couldn't find the Tokai anywhere else though, & its much better than the other side of the world.

(b) At just shy of £700 it is expensive, although it does come with a hard case. I could get one of the American made strats I listed above for just over £700, wouldn't they be better than the Tokai at that price?

(c) Are we allowed to post links to other sites?
Please let me know if you come across anymore for sale, I didn't realize Tokai were so respected to be honest.

(a) yep i have. only once, but they seemed pretty decent. Nothing went wrong, though, so I have no idea what their after-sales service is like. They also have some of the fretkings at good prices, too (i got my tele/strat hybrid there).

(b) yeah £700 is expensive. as i said, when rockem had them (and still has the teles) they were more like £500 or so. As I said, I know I'm a massive MIJ fanboy and even I'd be wondering if they were worth it at £700. Granted I got my (new) tokai MIJ tele for just over £400, but still.

if you do want to go the tokai strat route, those gs100s are better value at £400. Granted they don't look exactly like a strat (and I haven't tried them, but I presume they're tokai's usual quality), but for a £300 saving... As i said, I don't think they're worth £700. Fenders have been going up in price too, but some shops have old stock at slightly better prices, which might be worth considering.

(c) yep, sure, as long as it's not blatant advertising/spamming.

Quote:
Cool, I'll do that Danny, both are worth considering because they're readily available in most decent stores and have a more consistent build quality than Fender, although it has been pointed out that G&L's are much better coming from the US. Any idea where the Godins are made, is it Canada? They're also much cheaper than my other options. Would you not favor one over the other with G&L and Godin?

i'm not sure i'd say godin and g&l have that much better build quality than fender- maybe if you're talking MIM standard fender versus godin or USA G&L versus USA fender. the thing about guitars is that you have to look at specific models rather than brands.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-06-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #56
D3M0N1C

Hello again folks, thanks again for the continued help, I'll try & wrap this up in next few days as I'm sure you guys are getting sick of me by now

Here's another update on what I'm looking at, In approximate price order (Not just for you guys, as a reminder to myself as well):

Godin Session Custom MN LB - £720
Fender American Special - £700
Tokai TST-50 - £695
Fret-King Blue Label Super 60 - £650
Fret-King Black Label - £600
Godin Session Plus - £600
Fender Classic Player 50's Strat - £595 (Limited offer, Should be £750)
Fret-King Super Hybrid - Original - £595 (Limited offer, Should be £700)
Fender Classic Series - £580
G&L Tribute S-500 - £420
Godin Session - £400
Fret-King Country Squire Super S - £395 (Limited offer, Should be £730)
G&L Tribute Legacy - £350

Do any of these stand out to anyone, as either being a really good or bad choice? I'm looking into them all, definitely be buying one.....I think!

Which pickup combination would be best for Glimour/Hendrix tone?

Here's a few links to some of them, I didn't want to spam too many, hope that's OK:

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...n_Sunburst.html

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...eline_Gold.html

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...ssic_Burst.html

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...ssic_Burst.html

I don't like the color of the Fender Classic Player 50, but is that a good deal at that price?

Also, I've contacted numerous retailers that regularly acquire Tokai guitars and had the same reply from all of them, they all claim that Tokai Strat's are becoming very hard to obtain, especially brand new in the UK, a few say they could get me one in but may take four to six months! And they can't even promise that! So considering prices may vary with supply and demand, would the Tokai TST-50 be worth it at £695?

To be honest, the more I research the Godin's and G&L's, the more I want one of those, I also really like the Fret-Kings too! Fenders are slowly becoming less and less attractive to me the more I compare them.

This was supposed to be a short post to keep people interested in helping me, so I wont go into Amps right now, but my list is down to three or four so shouldn't be too much of a headache!

Cheers dudes!

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-08-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #57
dannyalcatraz

Of the ones you linked to:

I'm not a huge fan of the Tele body, but from what i understand of their pricing structure, that Fret-King Blue Label is a steal at that price!

I also liked that Super Hybrid- a good price for a HSH hardtail.

Of all the Godins on your list, I liked the Session Plus the most.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #58
wahalrus
Call me walrus! Or latte!

The super hybrid seems like a great choice out of those four.
wahalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #59
D3M0N1C

Yeah the Fret-King Blue Labels are a limited offer, should be £880 apparently! Only thing is, ones bright orange, the other ice white?!? The guy said they'll sell very quick and are top notch instruments for the price! I do like the Hybrid as well, very different, I wouldn't mind a Tele, as long as I can get the tones I'm after.

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...e_Metallic.html

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/..._Ice_White.html

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-08-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #60
dannyalcatraz

Sorry, my bad- I misread the info on the link and thought the Country Squire was a Blue Label. Still looks like a hell of a guitar, though.

I'd go for the metallic orange Super 60 over the Ice White.*

Buying for myself (in no particular order), I think the 4 finalists would be

1) Fret-King Super Hybrid: HSH, hardtail.

2) Godin Session Plus: HSS w/trem

3) Fret-King Super 60 (met. orange): P90SS w/trem

4) G&L Tribute S-500: SSS w/trem

* and honestly, I think part of that is I'm currently looking at Orange combo amps, and the combination of the two would be striking, to say the least.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-08-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Rate This Thread: