Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #61
D3M0N1C

Sweet, cheers for your opinion Danny, we're finally getting somewhere at last!

I think my absolute top favorites so far, in potential buying order, considering value for money, are:

1) Fret-King Super 60 - £435 for metallic orange, or £550 in golden sunburst! Grrr.
2) Godin Session Plus - £600
3) G&L Tribute S-500 - £420
4) Tokai TST-50 - £695
5) Fret-King Country Squire Super S - £395
6) Fret-King Super Hybrid - £595

I didn't like the orange super 60 at first, but its growing on me, would look pretty sexy with a black pick guard, paired with an orange Amp and black/orange cables! Although I'd probably like it much better in golden sunburst, but for £120 saving I may be able to cope with it!

If I had to choose right now it would definitely be between those six, I was just looking for excuses to get a Fender with the others to be honest

It's doing my head in that much choosing between them, I've considered trying to get a deal on two! Maybe the Tokai and the Super 60 for £1000, if they'd knock me £100 off, but I doubt it! Or maybe a strat and a tele/tele-hybrid

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-09-2012 at 12:55 AM.
D3M0N1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #62
dannyalcatraz

I wouldn't swap out the pickguard on the Fret-King, personally, if I were pairing it with an Orange amp...unless I got one in black tolex. The orange & white would mimic the amp so well.

Besides, Fret-king pickguards seem to have an oddball upper edge shape- might be hard to replace.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-09-2012 at 03:22 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #63
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I would say the tokai at £695 is very expensive. It'd put me off, and I'm a massive fan of the MIJ tokais. As i said- a couple of shops still have the gs100 at around the £400 mark. If you do want an MIJ tokai strat-style guitar (and as i said, I haven't tried that exact model, I'm just assuming it's the same quality as other MIJ tokais, which it probably is, but obviously I can't say for sure) that's probably the way to go.

I'd say those MIM Fender Classic Players are very dear are £595, let alone £750. Obviously that's my opinion, but yeah.

You linked to a couple of tele-style guitars (godin and fret king)- I'm not sure, for what you want, they'd really be the best option. I think a strat or a fat strat (with bridge humbucker or p90) or HSH strat would be a better idea.

I haven't really tried enough of the godins to really know if the dearer ones are the same guitar with better pickups, or actually built better too. If you can still find one, the freeway i tried was quite nice and is an HSH superstrat. It was normally around the £300-£400 mark. (they only seem to do the freeway SA now which has acoustic/piezo capabilities, i think, and it's more money. )

a lot of those godins have basswood bodies- i wouldn't necessarily say basswood is bad, but for vintage strat tone, alder or ash are probably better.

That fret king hybrid is in the black label series- i haven't tried them, but as far as i'm aware they have korean hardware, not japanese-made gotoh/wilkinson like the blue labels. So, on paper anyway, the blue labels are better and cheaper.

I'm kind of wary of recommending what to go for because (a) obviously it's your call and your opinion may disagree with mine but also (b) because I seem to be going towards the fretkings, and I own both the super 60 and the country squier super S and I don't want you to think I'm just recommending what I have. I should probably point out that the super 60 i have has the neck not on quite straight- it's a pretty easy fix with a strategically-placed shim (which i haven't got round to doing yet, so obviously it's not massively adversely affecting the guitar), i think, but ideally it'd be on straight in the first place. FWIW the country squire (which i got from frets) has the neck on straight.

EDIT: i'd also say- don't assume you can swap the pickguard on the fretkings, because their pickguards are their own shape. some places will make you a custom pickguard, but that can get (quite) expensive, i think.

Oh and also i haven't tried the g&l tributes, which i why i didn't mention them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-09-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #64
D3M0N1C

Hey dudes,

I know what your saying about the Fret-King pick guards Danny, I don't think I'd bother replacing it either, but I do think it would look much better in black, I shouldn't be worrying about cosmetics just yet anyway should I.

I don't know what it is about the Tokai TST-50 Dave, I know it shouldn't really be on my list at that price, but its very pretty. That Frets Guitar Center was a nice little find by the way, I'd never heard of them before, they've got some quality guitars I'm struggling to find elsewhere.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your Country Squier Super S? I wont be buying it for use as my primary guitar, but I thought £395 was a good price for a nice little tele, there's also a pre-owned Fender Classic 50s tele for the same price. I really shouldn't be thinking of getting two guitars, but if its a good deal I might!

Everyone I've been talking to so far tells me to get the Super 60! It'll most likely be between the Fret-King and Godin I think, should be ordering tomorrow if I can decide!

1) Fret-King Super 60 (HB or SP?) - £435 for metallic orange or ice white, or £550 in golden sunburst!

Potential secondary guitar: (Not really important)
4) Fret-King Country Squire Super S - £395
5) Fender Classic 50s Telecaster - £395

Also, I've just been informed that I can get either:

Blue Label Super 60 HB
Blue Label Super 60 SP

The HB's are £15 more and come in orange, white, green and vintage sunburst! But my question is, which one would better suit the tones I'm after? I'm about 80% sure It'll be one of the Fret-Kings I end up getting.

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-09-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #65
dannyalcatraz

About the body woods: the Godins do use basswood on the Session models, but everything above that, as I recall, is maple or maple with poplar wings.

Quote:
I really shouldn't be thinking of getting two guitars, but if its a good deal I might!

FWIW, when I went electric, I bought 2 guitars, one of MUCH higher quality than the other. I still use both of them, but the less expensive one is going to have its pickups upgraded in 2013 (that is its only flaw, as far as I'm concerned).

Quote:
The HB's are £15 more and come in orange, white, green and vintage sunburst! But my question is, which one would better suit the tones I'm after? I'm about 80% sure It'll be one of the Fret-Kings I end up getting.

Wow, tough choice!

My gut tells me that the one with the P90 would be closer to the classic sound- just a tad beefier than a true SSS- but the one with the HB would give you an even broader tonal palette.

Then again, the mix of P90s and singles is a small but growing trend. I've seen the Reverend Double Agent, a couple of Nick Huber and Duesenbergs, and I think one or two of the Fender Blacktop series set up that way. It's a nice combination, and I currently own ZERO guitars with P90s...

Which is why, instead of buying one of those guitars, my Dean Special Select EVO (the lesser electric guitar mentioned above) will be getting a Bareknuckle Rebel Yell and a Bareknuckle Stockholm HBSP90 put in it in 2013 as opposed to 2 Rebel Yells.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-09-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #66
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3M0N1C
Hey dudes,

(a) I know what your saying about the Fret-King pick guards Danny, I don't think I'd bother replacing it either, but I do think it would look much better in black, I shouldn't be worrying about cosmetics just yet anyway should I.

(b)I don't know what it is about the Tokai TST-50 Dave, I know it shouldn't really be on my list at that price, but its very pretty. That Frets Guitar Center was a nice little find by the way, I'd never heard of them before, they've got some quality guitars I'm struggling to find elsewhere.
(c) If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your Country Squier Super S? I wont be buying it for use as my primary guitar, but I thought £395 was a good price for a nice little tele, there's also a pre-owned Fender Classic 50s tele for the same price. I really shouldn't be thinking of getting two guitars, but if its a good deal I might!

(d) Everyone I've been talking to so far tells me to get the Super 60! It'll most likely be between the Fret-King and Godin I think, should be ordering tomorrow if I can decide!

1) Fret-King Super 60 (HB or SP?) - £435 for metallic orange or ice white, or £550 in golden sunburst!

Potential secondary guitar: (Not really important)
4) Fret-King Country Squire Super S - £395
5) Fender Classic 50s Telecaster - £395

Also, I've just been informed that I can get either:

Blue Label Super 60 HB
Blue Label Super 60 SP

(e) The HB's are £15 more and come in orange, white, green and vintage sunburst! But my question is, which one would better suit the tones I'm after? I'm about 80% sure It'll be one of the Fret-Kings I end up getting.

(a) I wouldn't completely discount cosmetics. I wouldn't buy a bad guitar that looked cool, but a guitar you hate the look of could annoy you, too.

(b) yeah. I mean, it's your money and your choice. As long as you're aware that that's maybe a little over the odds, and as long as you go in with your eyes open, it's up to you.

(c) I paid £395 (plus the postage was £15 if i remember correctly). They've had those deals for a while. According to my emails I got mine at the end of july, so they've had those deals up at least as long as that. I generally check/checked their site every so often (because of the fret kings and tokais), so I doubt they were up much before that, but I also doubt I bought it the first day they were up, kind of thing.

(d) it really is up to you. As I said, I haven't tried the tributes and haven't tried enough godins to be sure.

Certainly, on paper, the fret kings are good value if you get them at those frets prices of around the £400 mark. And the couple I've tried are nice guitars, too- they're korean-made, but (aside from the electronics, which are a little bit cheap-feeling) if I tried one blind I'm not sure I could tell it from an MIJ. I don't say that about a lot of Korean-made guitars around those kind of prices. Obviously, though, I'm only judging based on the two I've tried/own.

For the tele- rockem has the tokai teles for around the £500 mark. that might be pushing it if you were getting a second guitar, too. But I thought I'd just point it out if you do have your heart set on a tokai. it's a fair bit better than £695!

(e) I didn't realise you also had the option of the humbucker version. I just looked at frets' site and they only had the p90. P90s are not a million miles from humbuckers, but they're not exactly the same, either. Generally speaking, they have a less tight bass and a rawer, less sophisticated tone with maybe a little more bite in the treble too (as they're single coils). They also have single coil noise.

I haven't tried the humbucker version, but assuming it's the exact same guitar just with a humbucker in there, I'd probably get the humbucker version. While I really like p90s, I personally find humbuckers a bit more useful and versatile. Plus they're noiseless which is handy if you're using a lot of distortion.

Obviously it's up to you, and you won't go too far wrong with either. But you did ask, so...

EDIT: just to clarify- when you said the humbucker version was £15 more- you meant it's £450, right?

bear in mind- i think i remember reading that the humbucker doesn't auto-split in the bridge/middle position. So that position might not sound too great (that being said, it's little different than the p90 version in that respect as the bridge pickup overpowers the middle pickup in the p90 guitar, too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Wow, tough choice!

My gut tells me that the one with the P90 would be closer to the classic sound- just a tad beefier than a true SSS- but the one with the HB would give you an even broader tonal palette.

nah it's about the same difference as an HSS strat. it's a fairly hot and fat p90.

Neither is gonna do the "true" strat SSS thing, in other words.

I guess you could get round that by getting another tapped p90... but then you could do the same with another coil split humbucker. So it's about even, really. I'd go with the HB just because I think it's more versatile- don't get me wrong, I really dig the p90/s/s setup, it is very cool, but I have several guitars, I already have the humbucker thing covered.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-09-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #67
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Certainly, on paper, the fret kings are good value if you get them at those frets prices of around the £400 mark. And the couple I've tried are nice guitars, too- they're korean-made, but (aside from the electronics, which are a little bit cheap-feeling) if I tried one blind I'm not sure I could tell it from an MIJ. I don't say that about a lot of Korean-made guitars around those kind of prices. Obviously, though, I'm only judging based on the two I've tried/own.

I have to say that the quality of MiKs I've seen recently- including my new Fernandes Ravelle- has been pretty damn good.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #68
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah. i haven't tried any for a while, aside from my fretkings, but the fretkings are pretty good.

Quote:

Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #69
D3M0N1C

Thanks again for taking the time out to help me, you're all awesome, especially you two (Danny & Dave), I owe you both big time

I have decided that I wouldn't be able to cope with that orange metallic Super 60, its just too loud, and after staring at it for a while, made me want to vomit! lol!

I've shopped about and that's the best price I'm gonna get on the Fret-King Super 60's, Not sure whether it'll be the SP or HB just yet, I know they have vintage burst HB's in stock, but the guy at Frets can't be sure on the vintage burst SP's until tomorrow, so if I get one of those, it'll probably be the one I can get in the color I prefer, unless he has both, in which case I'd probably take the SP if its closer to vintage style tone. They're updating the website in next few days as new stock arrived over the weekend, and yes the HB version is only £15 more, being £450.

The only reason I was still considering the Tokai, is because its pretty much exactly what I'm after, only downside is the price! I love the look of it, and the spec, SSS configuration also.

I'm not too bothered about getting a second guitar, I was only considering it because I thought it was a good price. If I could get a SSS strat, and a nice tele though I probably would, but I can always get one in the future. If the Tokai tele's are better than the Fender MIM tele's, and Fret-King Country S, I still might.

After listening to demos of the SP and HB, I think the SP is closer to the vintage tones I'm after, both sounded pretty sweet, the HB sounded much heavier to me though.

Would a SSS pickup combo be that much better for the tones I'm trying to achieve?

Godins have been scrapped I think, I thought the G&L Tribute S-500 sounded better.

What do you guys think of this:

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...t_Metallic.html

Way over my budget though!

I'll get there in the end!

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-09-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #70
dannyalcatraz

The classic Strat sound comes from a SSS configuration, at least as far as pickups go.

That works in favor of axes like the Tokai, the G&L, and (oddly) that Fret-King Country Squire, as well as certain Godins like the Progression* or Passion RG-3 (which is in the price range of that last Fender).

Tonal flexibility works in favor of the ones that throw different pickups into the mix.

Only you can decide which matters more to you.

* almost bought a used one of these that had been hanging in my local GC for an amazingly long time...

Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #71
dannyalcatraz

I gotta say, almost every time I try to help someone pick a guitar, I get twinges of G.A.S. myself. Until this thread, I hadn't considered a Fret-King, nor an orange guitar.

Now, however...

I can't get the image of me playing that Super 60 through an Orange out of my head, and I'm not a gigging musician.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #72
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
The classic Strat sound comes from a SSS configuration, at least as far as pickups go.

That works in favor of axes like the Tokai, the G&L, and (oddly) that Fret-King Country Squire, as well as certain Godins like the Progression* or Passion RG-3 (which is in the price range of that last Fender).

Tonal flexibility works in favor of the ones that throw different pickups into the mix.

Only you can decide which matters more to you.

+1, that's about it in a nutshell. (FWIW though i'd say that country squire does sound more like a tele than a strat, though the strat pickups get close.)

FWIW, fretking also does the super 60 in an SSS version (though they may not have any at those prices) if you really want the SSS thing.

I'd say the MIJ tokais are probably slightly nicer than the fretkings- but it's close, and as usual with most guitar stuff, it's not as simple as that. The tokais have a very vintage spec (and you'd really need to have tried vintage spec fender-style guitars to see if you like them- if you're used to a modern radius and big frets etc. they can be a culture shock!), and I also have a feeling the trem on the cheaper MIJ tokai strat copies doesn't have a steel block.

I guess, the actual guitar is probably better on the tokais (thought it's close), and the electronics and pickups, but the fretking arguably has slightly better hardware (genuine gotoh and gotoh/wilkinson stuff). But the big difference is that the fretking is a more modern style of guitar, while the tokai is more vintage.

No problem about helping. Just get as much experience yourself with the guitars (and others' opinions, too), because what we like might not be what you like, etc. etc. I'd say it's not all subjective- there are objective quality levels, if you ask me- but at the same time, something that's a "better" guitar will be little consolation if you hate the neck profile, say.

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #73
D3M0N1C

Evening chaps,

I did look into the orange Amps, one of those paired with the orange super 60 would look awesome, but its just too strong of a colour for me, I prefer to see some grain

I don't think the Orange Amps would work well for my tone anyway would they?

I was about to ask a few more questions about neck profiles and comparisons etc, but Daves already answered most of what I was going to ask, so I wont bother

I'm pretty sure I've made my decision on the guitar, although Danny did get me thinking about the Godin Progression and Passion RG-3.
In the end, it was between the Fret-King Super 60 (SP/HB), and the G&L Tribute S-500. I came to the conclusion that the G&L was closer to what I was looking for, but the Fret-King was better value for money, both being about the same price.
The only thing that made me think twice, was the pickup combination, as I would prefer SSS for better Gilmour/Hendrix style tone. If I get the right Amp though, and a few pedals, hopefully that shouldn't be too much of a problem right?
If I could justify the tonal difference, I may have considered getting both the G&L and Fret-King. Or maybe that American Deluxe Strat, but that just wouldn't be wise on my budget

So, all going to plan, I'll have the Fret-King Super 60 in vintage classic burst, ordered tomorrow! Not 100% sure on pickup configuration just yet, as I don't think they can get SSS, But I'd prefer SSS, SP, or HB, in that order.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Boss RT-20, Fuzz Face, and maybe the TC Electronics Nova delay.

Now, I have to make a decision about an Amp:

Tubemeister 18
Peavey Classic 30
Laney Cub 12R
Traynor YCV50B
Fender Blues Junior

Anymore to consider? That Bugera V22 didn't sound bad at all, considering its cheaper than most of the others I've been looking at, would it be suitable?

Seeing as I'll most likely be getting the Fret-King or G&L for £430, I have a maximum budget of £600 for the Amp, or Amp head and speaker cab.

Also, my guitar and Amp setup are going to be in my room with an awesome spec media PC, and a set of nice 2.0 speakers, so I was thinking, rather than use my shitty Amp for silent practice, would it be worth me getting a good audio interface, headphones and sound card? Doesn't matter about keeping it in my budget, as I have a separate budget for my computer upgrades

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-10-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #74
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i don't think orange would be my first choice for those tones, but I don't know i'd say they'd be terrible for them, either. it's really up to you. my own feeling any time i've tried an orange has been "that sounds really good but I don't know what I'd use it for", LOL.

just to clarify- the fret king neck style is almost like a modern profile etc., but still with a nod to the vintage style. if that makes sense. the radius is flatter than vintage (around 10" iirc) and the frets are a bit bigger than vintage, but it still has the narrowish vintage fender style neck/nut width, and neither the radius nor fret size is super-modern like, say, an ibanez RG. if that makes sense. But the tokais are pretty much genuine vintage in spec, they're a lot more vintage-feeling than the fret kings.

it's your call on the guitar, if you're happy, I'm happy

SSS- it really depends on which strat tones you use most (and I don't think you can really compensate with amp and pedals... maybe an EQ, but that's still sort of a half-assed fix, i suspect). Middle, Neck/Middle and neck pickups alone will be just as good whether you go HSS, SSS or p90/s/s. It's the bridge pickup alone and bridge/middle where the SSS makes the difference, and if you need those strat tones, then SSS is the way to go. If you don't use those tones much (or only use them occasionally but need the extra power afforded by a p90 or humbucker), then go p90/s/s or HSS.

Regarding the amp- again, it's really up to you. I have my suspicions that the tubemeister isn't all-tube, but i have nothing to base that on other than H&K has form in that department (the edition tube's od channel had some solid state stuff built into it, more or less a distortion/od pedal ) and it seems to have more gain, from clips (I haven't tried it) than it really should have, considering how few tubes it has. But there are at least some ways round it, so as i said, it's only suspicions, not proven. And not being all-tube doesn't necessarily make it a bad amp, either.

Out of the others, I'd probably say the traynor is objectively the best amp, but again, much like the guitar, that's of little consolation if one of the others suits you better. So again, it's really up to you.

I've never tried bugeras. the early versions of their high gain amps went on fire, but apparently they've fixed that. They still have a pretty bad rep for reliability, but from what i hear the v series isn't as bad. Aside from that,

I honestly know nothing about computer based guitar stuff, you're really on your own there

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #75
dannyalcatraz

The Orange really is probably voiced a little to far on the crunchy side to do what you'd want it to. I'd look at Fender, Peavey, Vox, Carvin, or Laney.

And as Dave_MC pointed out, the only difference between the SSS, HSS, AND P90SS setups is what happens when you actually mix the bridge pickup into your tone. If you don't, it won't make a difference, so you could buy a guitar in ANY of those configuration based on price, comfort & aesthetics without worrying about what the bridge pickup does. It might not even look like a Strat. Or a Tele.

For example, another guitar I'm looking at these days is the Richmond Guitars Canada Belmont (possibly with a Bigsby). Richmond is a subsidiary of Godin and this guitar is equipped with a SD '59 HB in the bridge and a pair of SD Lipstick pickups in the middle and neck. Between the lipsticks and the classically voiced HB, its a guitar capable of covering a lot of singlecoil and HB retro sounds*. It's moderately priced, well made...and unfortunately, damn hard to find.

* though with lipsticks, it sounds more like an old Dano or Ric than a Strat.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-10-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #76
D3M0N1C

No worries,

The thing is, I'm not exactly used to any particular style of neck, its all gonna feel unfamiliar to me for a while, so I don't know which neck would better suit me to be honest. Would you say one style was easier or more comfortable than the other? I'm not sure on the pros & cons of either.

The same goes for pickups as well lol!

I'm not sure which positions would sound better for what I'm trying to achieve, so I don't know which ones I'm gonna miss out on getting the P90-SS config?

If, by getting the Fret-King, I'm missing out on the tones I want, that could sway me toward getting the G&L with SSS, or being greedy and getting both!

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #77
dannyalcatraz

Again, check out some YouTube vids to see what kind of tones you get mixing in a HB or P90.

But if you're really going for Gilmour's tone- or a lot of those OTHER great Strat guys like Clapton, Hendrix and SRV- SSS is probably the way to go...

...assuming they used their bridge position pickups.

If not*, you literally lose nothing by having a different pickup in the bridge, and gain some tonal flexibility. Handy, if you decide to branch out down the road.

* and I don't know, so don't ask me!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #78
D3M0N1C

Hahaha, GOD DAMMIT! Sigh..........

Well at this point in time, I feel that I must buy the Fret-King, simply because its a pretty awesome deal! Especially now I can get it in vintage burst

Also, I wanna try a G&L, so f*@k it, I think I might get both! Then somewhere down the line, replace the pickups in the G&L with DG-20's if I feel the need to.

Anyways, I think you guys have helped me more than enough, I should be able to make the decision myself by now. The thing is, If I'm gonna spend around £800 on two average guitars, I should probably just get one good one right

In which case it'd be one of the higher end Godins or the Fender American Standard/Deluxe

Knowing what I know now, about what I need, and what I'm trying to achieve, I'm thinking about the American Standard/Deluxe or Classic 60's series again . Its pretty perfect for what I want, and the Deluxe seems like a good deal at £995, cheapest I can find elsewhere is about £1200.
http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...t_Metallic.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=W8j5X9y64M4#!

Sorry if I'm pissing you off

I'm really shit at making decisions, can you tell?

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-11-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #79
dannyalcatraz

Don't kill yourself about this: about a year after I sarted taking guitar lessons- and I had been playing a while before that- I decided to get an electric guitar.

It took me a year and a half to pick which to buy...and I bought two (one $500, one high end).

...and a few years later, I bought an amp.

If I were in your shoes:

1) buying 2 guitars, I'd buy two with significantly different pickup configurations, at least one of which would be guaranteed to cover my primary goal (in this case, something with at least 2 singlecoils to cover Gilmour's tone). The other would be my "go nuts" axe for tonal experimentation.

2) buying 1 guitar, I'd make sure I got the neck and middle singlecoil, and then decide how likely I am to need one in the bridge and how many other tonal options I'm likely to want to explore. If my guitar gods all play SSS, its a no brainer. If, OTOH, I like some guys who use P90s or HBs, a guitar with one of those in the bridge might be key in slowing down my G.A.S. for a while.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #80
D3M0N1C

Quote:
Don't kill yourself about this: about a year after I sarted taking guitar lessons- and I had been playing a while before that- I decided to get an electric guitar.

It took me a year and a half to pick which to buy...and I bought two (one $500, one high end).

...and a few years later, I bought an amp.

Amen to that brother

And yes, considering what I've learned, and from what I know about my favorite artists, and the tones I enjoy hearing the most, one really good guitar with SSS config would probably be the best option. I didn't want to spend so much but if I'm going to end up buying more down the line or replacing pickups etc. It may turn out better in the long run, also the Fender American Deluxe's hold their value really well.....apparently

Another shit point to make, if I'm willing to part with £1000, there's a whole other selection of guitars I could potentially get!!!!!

So close, but yet so far

Last edited by D3M0N1C : 12-10-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Rate This Thread: