Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Agent51

Looking to Build a 1w "Bedroom" Tube Head; Suggestions?

So I've been looking at those 50th Anniversary 1w Marshall heads pretty much all year now. I REALLY want the JCM-1, but I just cannot bring myself to pay $800+ for a 1w head that will most-likely never ever be used outside of home practice (I have a JCM-800 and MOSFET Lead 100 for band practice/gigging/recording). I love the tone that little amp cranks out though, especially when you use te boost and roll the preamp up, very "Jubilee"-esq.

So my question is, are there any DYI kits out there for this? Not necessarily that are clones of the JCM-1, though that'd be excellent, but just a very low wattage kit that gives me the JCM/Jubilee tones. I've been wanting to take on an amp build for awhile and a small 1w-er would be perfect, cause if I screw up, it's just a bedroom amp anyway so no biggie. I live in an apartment so I can't crank the high watt 800 to the level it needs for that classic distortion, but those little 1w guys sound AWESOME at low volume.

Also, what should it pair with in terms of speakers? I've got an Avatar 2x12 that has a greenback and an H-30 in it, so a 25w and 30w speaker. I ordered that when I got my MOSFET because I wanted a home-use cab that could also be a live backup (hence not just getting a 1x12, as I use a 4x12 live). Now the MOSFET stays at the practice space too so I need something for home, that isn't my crappy MG30FX lmao. Would my Avatar be fine, or should I build it a 1x12 with something? The avatar can isolate speakers too. I think it's 16ohms stereo and 8 mono, or the other way around? I always get those two backwards and I'm not home to just look at the jack plate on the cab.

So yeah, any suggestions for either an existing, and "cheap" (not more than a few hundred, as it's just for messing around at home when not at the rehearsal space), very low-watt tube head, or a clone/DIY kit, that has the JCM sound?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
roaddawg07

Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
roaddawg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Agent51

The point was to get suggestions of specific ones from user experience, not the classic douchey "google it" Internet response.....
Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

ampmaker.com if you're in the UK, they're supposed to be pretty good.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent51
The point was to get suggestions of specific ones from user experience, not the classic douchey "google it" Internet response.....

Don't call him a douche for helping you. Maybe he didn't know of a 1w that he could recommend and just give you a free bump.

Hopefully no one helps you now.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
ranga97
Registered

To get started you can build simple 1 watt ruby amps from runoffgroove.com
I built one with a tonestack and gain section and it cranks a mighty 1 watt. Cheap and great to start getting into building stuff.
My build sounds very marshall-y and sounds great, gets more use than my fender tubes

edit: Low voltage and low risk too. High plate voltage and stored currents in caps deliver a mighty shock in tube amps

Last edited by ranga97 : 12-02-2012 at 08:34 PM.
ranga97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
sethasaurus

I know Vox makes a little 4W head at a low price. It has an attenuator for 1W or 1/4W output too.
Can't tell you what that particular one sounds like but the Vox gear I have used has always been really good.

If you want to build your own, ax84.com is really useful. You should check out the 1W Firefly amp:
http://www.ax84.com/index.php/oldpr...ject_id=firefly

Last edited by sethasaurus : 12-02-2012 at 08:53 PM.
sethasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Agent51

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Don't call him a douche for helping you. Maybe he didn't know of a 1w that he could recommend and just give you a free bump.

Hopefully no one helps you now.

He didn't "help me", he posted a link to a google search for low watt amp kits, which is obviously a search I can, and have done, myself. Im not questioning their existence, if I were, than his link would have "helped". I'm question kits with particular characteristics and looking for feedback on them. So yes, the fact that his post contained NOTHING other than the link to a generic search term result makes it douchey.

To everyone else, thanks for the info and suggestions on different heads/kits. I'm gonna look into that Vox suggestion, I didn't know they had a 4w head. I've heard good stuff about the blackstar ht-1 but I thinks it's a little more "crunchy" than I'm looking for, at least from demo vids I've watched, and lack of B/M/T controls is very odd to me.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

The BlackStar is not fully tube. A bunch of SS crap in there.

Sounds like you don't want it anyway but I wanted to get that out there.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Arab_Philosofer

I know what you mean man, searching google brings so little help on this subject. I was search g for a while until I came upon some good stuff

Ax84.com you should check out.
Also the DIY ones some guy made and gave out the layout, the "Superfly" and "Murder One".
I think I'm gonna start building one of those.
Arab_Philosofer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: