Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: What pickups?
Rio Grande Fat Bastard/Bastard combination 1 9.09%
Bareknuckle Mississipi Queens 5 45.45%
Seymour Duncan Phat Cats 4 36.36%
Other 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
SaulnierE

p90s/bigsby for a Gibson SG

I have a Gibson SG Standard that I want to mod and I have a couple questions. First off, I plan on changing the guitars pickups, presumably to some humbucker sized P90s. I was either going to put in a Rio Grande Fat Bastard/Bastard combination, two Bareknuckle Mississippi Queens, or two Seymour Duncan Phat Cats. Which one of these would be best for what I'm trying to do? Or if something else would be better please feel free to say so.

Also, I was maybe going to put a Bigsby on the guitar. If I were to do this, what are the pros and cons of using a vibramate? I'm pretty confident that I'll have this guitar for a long time and I don't see what the point would be in just going all the way and drilling into the guitar and all.

I'm playing the guitar through a Fender Hot Rod Deville and am using a Fulltone Mosfet II for drive. I'm using this setup to record. Tone wise I'm aiming for this sort of classic indie rock tone, something along the lines of early Pavement and the Strokes. I also really like Tom Verlaine's tone in Television too, which is a jazzmaster. If there's anything else you guys need to know, feel free to ask. Thanks
SaulnierE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

they make an adapter plate so you don't have to hack your guitar up to install a bigsby on it. Don't remember what its called, but google will get it for you.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

Bareknuckle Mississippi Queens! They sound better than phat cats in my opinion.
I also like Tonerider Rebl 90's.

In an SG I have, I have an Arcane PX-100 in the bridge and a Tonerider Rebel 90 in the neck. It's perfect.

kurt_cobain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
SaulnierE

I think it's called a Vibramate, the Bigsby thing. Does the Bigsby work as well though then? And also, I just googled those pickups (the Arcane and Tonerider) and they seem a little high output for what I'm looking for. What about the Mississippi Queens sounds better than the Phat Cats?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #5
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

The vibramate works great for the sg.

to me, the mississippi queens have more bite and snarl than the phat cats. Their character is more p-90 like to my ears. The phat cat pickups aren't bad, but to me, they're missing something

kurt_cobain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
SaulnierE

Alright, thanks. Does anyone else have any insight on the pickups? I noticed the seems to be leaning towards the Phat Cats
Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
getmad24_7

I have put lots of bigsbys on my guitars, and personally I don't care for the vibramate much. If you are reselling or fussy about looks then maybe you should get one (the vibramate should fill the holes left by the stop tail iirc), but otherwise it isn't really worth it imo. Although vibramate makes a "spoiler" that makes restringing the bigsby a lot easier, I have it on one of my bigsbys and I'm a fan of that.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
SaulnierE

Alright. The bigsby would probably be happening sometime after the pickups, those would be going in sooner. I intend on keeping this guitar for a really long time though, if not forever, it's not like this is a project I'm building that I'm going to sell off in four years. Because of that you think I might as well just drill into the thing?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulnierE
Alright. The bigsby would probably be happening sometime after the pickups, those would be going in sooner. I intend on keeping this guitar for a really long time though, if not forever, it's not like this is a project I'm building that I'm going to sell off in four years. Because of that you think I might as well just drill into the thing?

It will be cheaper to just drill, I belive the adapter is ~$75ish+
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulnierE
I think it's called a Vibramate, the Bigsby thing. Does the Bigsby work as well though then? And also, I just googled those pickups (the Arcane and Tonerider) and they seem a little high output for what I'm looking for. What about the Mississippi Queens sounds better than the Phat Cats?

I have an SG Standard with vibramate/B5 and I love it! It works just fine, and I don't have to sit around second-guessing my intonation measurements because the plate puts it in the perfect spot. It was like $40 when I bought it, I don't know if they're more now(edit: they're $60, totally worth it), but I feel like I got way more than my money's worth with that purchase. It would take probably 20 minutes and my guitar would be stock again.

For any amount of money, you'll look back in a few years and go 'wow I'm really glad I didn't drill huge holes in this guitar' especially if it's your baby. Mine was my first guitar, and will surely be my last eventually haha I'm positive I would have had serious regrets fueling intense depression a few times since, had I chosen to drill. Just spend the cash, there's no difference whatsoever - there's even INCREASED sustain, and on an SG that's always welcome!

I highly recommend buying the Bigsby B5 over the B50 (the cheaper licensed model). It's an integral part of the guitar, and it has a huge affect on the tone. You may want to look into a new bridge as well, either a roller bridge or a graphtech bridge. I haven't made that upgrade yet, but I will be soon. No broken strings in the last 4 years with the stock bridge and heavy gigging, so no complaints really.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite

Last edited by Sid McCall : 12-06-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
SaulnierE

Hmm, alright. Odds are I'll end up going that route when I do get the bigbsy then, I mean I can always drill if I want but I can't go from drilling to that. Thanks.

Anyway, odds are I'm buying the pickups soon (sorry to keep bringing that up) and I'm probably going with the Mississippi Queens, but I read a review of the Phat Cats that said they're extremely clear, which is something I wanted. So one last question about the Bareknuckles, what kind of clarity am I going to have with those? As opposed to my stock humbuckers, with light distortion. Because if it comes down to it I may just buy the Phat Cats for clarity and trust that they sound pretty good too. Thanks guys

Rate This Thread: