Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
brenton393

sand my acoustic

So i've owned a Jasmine S-34c for a couple of years and after I upgraded to a Seagull i decided to mess with my Jamsine. So i ripped the pickgaurd off and sanded the neck, then i sanded the body which left white scratches all over the body. Should i keep on sanding it or do something else? I dont really know what im doing
brenton393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Speckled_Hen
Dr Monkey Pants

Firstly, why?
What are you trying to acheive here? If you've got loads of white scratches, you aren't through the finish yet, if thats what your trying to do.

Alright, heres how sandpaper works.

The white scratches are are scratches, because sandpaper works by scratching things. You get finer grades of sandpaper that make smaller scratches. This is measured by the grit of the sandpaper, a number that gets higher the finer the scratches will be. They go something like this:
They go higher and also lower, but you don't really need them.

60 is the sort of stuff you'd use to clear paint off of door frames and skirting boards and such, so really really rough. 400 makes scratches that are really hard to see in wood, but easy to see in finishes because of the light reflecting in them or something. If your refinishing you'd start applying the finish here, do a first coat and then really lightly use some 400 to get rid of rough bits in the oil/lacquer/whatever. After a couple of coats doing that, you'd probably start doing normal coats and then use polishing compound at the end to make a glossy finish.

You use them in sequence, one after another going from rough to smooth. Not skipping from 120 to 400 or whatever. Trust me, its quicker this way. Each grit gets rid of the scratches made by the last one until it is fine enough to put finish on.

Rate This Thread: