User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Sleaze Disease
EET FUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngrsdave
I've seen pictures where Guthrie Govan uses a hair band up by the nut to help muff his unplayed strings.

I guarantee he can play just as well without it, though.

You should never have to use things like hairbands as crutches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Sleaze Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
Ruark

It's possible that it sounds exactly the way it's supposed to sound, and you're just not expecting it. Maybe you're trying to get a very clean, distinct sound, and the amp is producing overdriven tones, maybe with even some feedback and/or reverb, that sort of thing, which is exactly what it's supposed to do, depending on its settings.

You might try going with the amp instead of trying to fight it. Put on some background rhythm, kick back and PLAY your guitar! Don't "hold back."

Just an idea.
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark
It's possible that it sounds exactly the way it's supposed to sound, and you're just not expecting it. Maybe you're trying to get a very clean, distinct sound, and the amp is producing overdriven tones, maybe with even some feedback and/or reverb, that sort of thing, which is exactly what it's supposed to do, depending on its settings.

You might try going with the amp instead of trying to fight it. Put on some background rhythm, kick back and PLAY your guitar! Don't "hold back."

Just an idea.

It's a Roland Cube. You are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
duder#4
METAL UP YOUR ASS!

To me it sounds like your picking hand is slightly touching the other strings.
duder#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #25
maverick691

Here is the horrible recording of me playing: https://soundcloud.com/axisboldaslo...sh-castle-magic
maverick691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #26
NigeP

I suggest you try a little less volume, it sounds to me like you are trying too hard Just relax. On a side note, I'm not sure if its the recording but you do have some hiss there.
NigeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #27
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Your muting needs a lot of work. That was extremely sloppy. Getting a new amp won't fix that.

The hissing sounds like it's one of 3 things:
1. Your amp has a problem
2. Your cables are garbage
3. Your output jack on your guitar needs to be resoldered.

First check to see if there are any loose wires on your output jack. If there are it's a pretty easy fix and it's virtually free as long as you or someone you know has a soldering iron and knows how to use it. If that's not the problem, get a new cable as that would be the next cheapest option. If all else fails, get a new amp.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
maverick691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Your muting needs a lot of work. That was extremely sloppy. Getting a new amp won't fix that.

The hissing sounds like it's one of 3 things:
1. Your amp has a problem
2. Your cables are garbage
3. Your output jack on your guitar needs to be resoldered.

First check to see if there are any loose wires on your output jack. If there are it's a pretty easy fix and it's virtually free as long as you or someone you know has a soldering iron and knows how to use it. If that's not the problem, get a new cable as that would be the next cheapest option. If all else fails, get a new amp.

What are some ways that I can improve on my sloppyness? I think a problem that I have is that when I practice a song I want to learn it as fast as possible so maybe I am speeding up to quickly and incorporating bad habits into my playing as I speed up. I've tried so many ways to mute. Currently I mute the higher strings with index of fretting hand and the lower strings with picking hand thumb and palm. Am I doing it incorrectly?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #29
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick691
What are some ways that I can improve on my sloppyness? I think a problem that I have is that when I practice a song I want to learn it as fast as possible so maybe I am speeding up to quickly and incorporating bad habits into my playing as I speed up. I've tried so many ways to mute. Currently I mute the higher strings with index of fretting hand and the lower strings with picking hand thumb and palm. Am I doing it incorrectly?

Sounds like you just need a bit more patience to me, if you don't get something clean and perfect slowly and make sure that you can do it without thinking then you can't get it perfect at tempo either.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #30
maverick691

So I've noticed some progress. I am trying to mute the strings with my fretting hand more and figured out that sometimes the edge of the finger laying on the strings was causing it to slightly ring out sometimes. How can I reduce that hiss noise I get when I play on my amp? yes it only is when my boss mt2 is used that the hiss gets out of controll
Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #31
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

Look no further, Tom hess to the rescue :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v...ature=endscreen

I just found this today, lucky.
yoyoloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #32
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoloto
Look no further, Tom hess to the rescue :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v...ature=endscreen

I just found this today, lucky.

No. Screw that money-grubbing bastard. He deserves no time from anyone.

Muting video to watch:

Quote:

Old 12-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #33
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick691
So I've noticed some progress. I am trying to mute the strings with my fretting hand more and figured out that sometimes the edge of the finger laying on the strings was causing it to slightly ring out sometimes. How can I reduce that hiss noise I get when I play on my amp? yes it only is when my boss mt2 is used that the hiss gets out of controll

Pedals don't work well with modelling amps - you *might* get away with it on the JC clean model but on any of the other settings yes, it's going to be uncontrollably noisy.

You're also probably using too much gain, you're probably better of ditching the pedal to be honest, but if the hiss is acceptable on the JC clean model then fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #34
kemingt
Barned

and i thought i was sloppy...lol

you really should play SLOWLY when learning a song/practicing a scale. REALLY REALLY slow. don't speed up till you can play it perfectly and cleanly, WITHOUT the strings ringing out. and try analyzing your technique as well: is it your fretting hand's fingers that are brushing against the strings and causing them to ring out or your pick accidentally hitting the strings?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #35
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Why on earth are you using a MT 2 with the gain dimed to play Hendrix??? There is waaaay too much distortion there...you've got enough gain there to kill a rhino.

Throw the pedal away, use the classic stack model on the cube with the gain about halfway and throw in some reverb for Hendrix stuff. Yes you're sloppy and your technique needs work but that's no reason to make life doubly difficult, if you set your amp sensibly you've at least got a fighting chance of sorting things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #36
maverick691

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Why on earth are you using a MT 2 with the gain dimed to play Hendrix??? There is waaaay too much distortion there...you've got enough gain there to kill a rhino.

Throw the pedal away, use the classic stack model on the cube with the gain about halfway and throw in some reverb for Hendrix stuff. Yes you're sloppy and your technique needs work but that's no reason to make life doubly difficult, if you set your amp sensibly you've at least got a fighting chance of sorting things out.

Yeah pretty foolish decision by me to use the mt2 but I'll be selling it now that I've got the 502 evh 5150 iii. I am still getting this annoying unwanted noise when I bend a string? How should I be bending the strings?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #37
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

ya know it might have been said, but just to throw it out there...You never need as much gain as you think you need...so many heavy bands arent using ALOT of gain, they just are playing in a heavy way...you can set your gain to be more of a classic rock tone and still add a heavy vibe to it.

My opinion would be to ONLY practice on a 100% clean setting until you are confident in what you are doing and then introduce overdrive in small steps...starting with the bare minimum. the More gain you use the more noise you will have to fight!

But if you can play it clean you can play it overdriven....while playing on a clean setting see if you are getting unwanted noise, it will still be apparent. IMO playing on a clean setting or even using an acoustic will really give you an idea of how sloppy you are and how much you need to fix things...

Dont feel let down though...even the greatest players have to clean off some sloppiness from time to time!
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #38
Sleaze Disease
EET FUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltTheWerewolf
You never need as much gain as you think you need...

This x infinity.
They should engrave this on amps, right above the gain knob.

When I first realized this, it was like an epiphany.
Everybody talks about the 'Holy Grail of Tone' and, IMO, this is the secret starting point that you'd think more people would realize, but don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Sleaze Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #39
maverick691

**** this shit. I put in so much time to practice muting and I always hear a faint string ringing out or just excess noise yet I have my palm on the strings I am not playing and I even put my thumb on the strings for more muting but the strings are still finding a way to ring out. I ****ing get it already I am ****ing pathetic every ****ing thing I've tried. I am good at nothing. ****
Old 12-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #40
Viban
UG's resident bum

it takes patience to get muting right man,No other technique has pissed me off more than muting in terms of it seeming like it just won't work, its just important to do it the right way and be patient with it.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: