Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #41
maverick691

So now I am noticing that most of the time my unwanted noise is coming from when I bend strings. When I play the guitar clean on the neck pickup I always hear the string 2 or 3 strings below ringing a little. How should I position my fingers bending and why are the strings still ringing slightly even when the side of my hand is on the bridge muting the strings?
maverick691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #42
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick691
So now I am noticing that most of the time my unwanted noise is coming from when I bend strings. When I play the guitar clean on the neck pickup I always hear the string 2 or 3 strings below ringing a little. How should I position my fingers bending and why are the strings still ringing slightly even when the side of my hand is on the bridge muting the strings?

You can't be hearing string noise if you're actually muting the strings, it's literally impossible.

There are two real possible causes for this:

1 - You're not muting well enough. Simple technique improvement will sort this.

2 - Given that you're talking about an EVH wolfgang there could be a tremolo on the guitar which means it's definitely possible that the springs in the back of the body are resonating. Easy solution to this: put a good few bits of folded up toilet roll in the back cavity of the guitar so they're against the springs.

I would suggest that if you have a trem on your guitar definitely try the second solution first (I've had some stuff in the back of my 7 string since I got it and never had an issue with spring resonance). If you're still getting noise then I would definitely suggest you look at your muting technique.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #43
Sleaze Disease
EET FUK

Quote:
**** this shit. I put in so much time to practice muting and I always hear a faint string ringing out or just excess noise yet I have my palm on the strings I am not playing and I even put my thumb on the strings for more muting but the strings are still finding a way to ring out. I ****ing get it already I am ****ing pathetic every ****ing thing I've tried. I am good at nothing. ****

If you're going to act like a ****ing crybaby, maybe you should just quit playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Sleaze Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #44
Livingtime

From your recording it sounds like you have a LOT of distortion, you might want to turn that down a bit.

Technique-wise, if you want to learn a technique right slow down and really THINK what you are doing right now and what you are supposed to be doing. Record videos and sound recordings of yourself and critic your playing, watch videos of other people playing and focus on how they're doing what they're doing. Its not as hard as it looks once you realise what you're supposed to be doing so slow down and FOCUS on your movements.

Don't slow down too much though, at least not until you've fully recognized your mistakes.
Livingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #45
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

It's your gear! It's always the gear!

A bad carpenter always blames his tools, you know?
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #46
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

Quote:
**** this shit. I put in so much time to practice muting and I always hear a faint string ringing out or just excess noise yet I have my palm on the strings I am not playing and I even put my thumb on the strings for more muting but the strings are still finding a way to ring out. I ****ing get it already I am ****ing pathetic every ****ing thing I've tried. I am good at nothing. ****

All I hear is:
Attached Images

The Legion
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #47
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

mdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: