Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
fishiboi

3-way pickup selector or 5-way?

Hey, I'm modifying a guitar I have. It currently has 3 single coils but I want it as HSS. Would it be better to have a 3 or 5-way selector? And if it's best to have a 5-way, is it better to have middle-and-bridge or middle-and-split bridge between the middle single coil and the humbucker? Cheers, sorru if that makes no sense!
fishiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
supersac

i think a 5 way would be better more options to switch pick ups
and perosnally id rather have split hmbucker and single

again these are all opinions and theres no better way especially if youd wont be using the middle positions and like how the humbucker and single coiul sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Dazzl1113

Normally you would do a three-way selector switch, Position 1 = Neck, Position 2 = Middle, Position 3 = Bridge. If you have the dough, convert it to an HSH instead and use a 5 way, get all combinations 1)All Neck, 2)Neck&Middle, 3)Middle, 4)Middle/Bridge, 5) Full bridge
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Dazzl1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
fishiboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzl1113
If you have the dough, convert it to an HSH instead and use a 5 way, get all combinations 1)All Neck, 2)Neck&Middle, 3)Middle, 4)Middle/Bridge, 5) Full bridge

I dunno why I didn't think of that as a possibility. That'd probably be best, just hoping that the pickup cavity would be large enough to accomodate that.
fishiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzl1113
Normally you would do a three-way selector switch, Position 1 = Neck, Position 2 = Middle, Position 3 = Bridge. If you have the dough, convert it to an HSH instead and use a 5 way, get all combinations 1)All Neck, 2)Neck&Middle, 3)Middle, 4)Middle/Bridge, 5) Full bridge

You can't get all combinations with a 5 way switch. The only way to do that would be to add another switch for "bridge on" or "neck on", and another switch for coil splitting. Also, I'm curious about why you'd suggest an HSH configuration when he said he wants to convert it to HSS in the OP? Just wondering if I'm missing something here.

TS, I don't see why you would use a 3-way switch in this case. You'd be cheating yourself out of 2 positions for no real gain, except for maybe simplicity.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 11-30-2012 at 08:59 PM.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
bigblockelectra

With 3 pickups like yours, there are 7 basic combinations.

neck
middle
bridge
neck+middle
bridge+middle

This is a standard config (there are others, splits, phasing blah blah). The 5 way selector will give you 5.

neck + bridge and all together, neck + bridge + middle will be missing.

Look into a push pull switch/pot for one of your tone or volume knobs. You can get the other combinations by using a push pull pot which you will wire to the neck pickup...when pulled out, the neck pickup is live. Then use the selector to go all bridge which gives you bridge + neck OR the bridge + middle which gives you all three together.

I'm sure you could wire it up to handle some sort of split as well. This is a very popular mod for stratocasters as the neck/bridge added option gives a telecaster like sound that people love. All three together is kind of 'meh' so you could get creative with a different type of wiring if you'd like.

You can also use a pot to work as a blender, to blend in the different pickups (giving you a seemingly endless amount of combinations--kind of like an analog solution).

I haven't heard it myself, but I ordered a push/pull from Fender on Sunday night, it should be in today's mail.

Last edited by bigblockelectra : 11-30-2012 at 09:00 PM.
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
mcameron

Any guitar I own that has the SSH setup in it I use a 5 way. Even if I dont plan on wiring it traditionally I still put on in in case one day I decide to.
mcameron is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: