Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

Learning How To Teach Guitar

Hello guys recently one of my relatives have asked me to teach them how to play guitar.
He says that he wants to learn how to play classic rock, blues, and country.

I wasn't planning on getting paid but my relative offered me $25 at the end of the lesson and said that he was going to do it every week for every lesson.

This puts a little more pressure on me since I have to make sure that he's getting his moneys worth. So far I've taught him about avoiding elbow picking, importance of posture, how to hold the pick, read tabs, position the left hand, position the right hand, restring the guitar and a simple blues progression in A.

Does anyone have any experience with the subject and some great resources to get started?

I don't want to turn him off to learning the guitar since he's in the beginner stage. Telling him to repeat something 1000 times slowly isn't going to seem appealing and might cause him to lose the desire to play altogether. At the same time I want to get him playing music as soon as possible that way he doesn't lose interest.

Is it to early to present him with scales, chords, and music theory? Would it be better to just sound out songs for him and teach him how to practice during the beginner stages?

Im a little confused on when it is appropriate to introduce him to certain material.

Last edited by dannydawiz : 12-03-2012 at 01:03 AM.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Teach him basic chords like C, F, D, and G. Ask him what kind of music he likes and try to find a simple song that pertains to his preferences so that he can really get into what he's playing.

I would say hold off on anything theory intensive until he can play the guitar with a little more confidence. Just find stuff he likes that isn't to hard and simple chord progressions to get him started.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
shreddymcshred

Plan each lesson beforehand. Find out what his goals are. Assign exercises based on his deficiencies. The lesson should have 3 or basic sections

You always want to start a lesson with something light so the student can warm up and get comfortable, then you need to lay the heavy stuff on in the middle of the lesson, then end with something fun. A lesson may go like this:

Review song/piece, perhaps old rep or old exercises (Also a warm up. should be light)
New idea, teach the student what and how to prepare for next time. topics can include:

Playing some chord progressions
Strumming patterns
Technique exercises (along with LH placement, alternate picking, etc)
The idea is that this is where most of the learning happens. The brain is in the guitar playing mindset by this point and can handle complex ideas.

Challenging study/piece that needs coaching. This is where you work on pieces they are excited about. Because it is pleasurable to learn pieces they like, they are more likely to leave happy and want to come back. It is in your interest to do this because they will remember their last experience with you as positive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For early lessons,
Teach these chords
C G D Em Am Dm A E A7 G7 E7 D7 B7

Make lots of exercises

Teach strumming patterns in 4/4 first with quarter and half notes. Then Move to eighth notes. Then move to syncopated patterns with 8th notes. Downstrokes on numbered beats, upstrokes on & beats.

If he wants to learn lead, get him started with some basic major and minor scales, then move to pentatonic shapes.

Barre chords should come once the student is comfortable with open chords. they are very frustrating for new learners, so avoid the 5 and 6 string shapes in the beginning.

Last edited by shreddymcshred : 12-03-2012 at 03:42 AM.
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Slashiepie
Banged

Modal soloing.

On a serious note:

You are allowed to be a nazi when it comes to technique.

Other than that encourage him to be creative, make him write his own songs and make up his own excercises, all according to his specific goals.

Every day do around 10 minutes of ear training, and give him an easy but challenging "homework". "Figure out the melody of this song for next week" by next week "Learn to discern between a 4th and a 5th", etc..

You could be methodical in one part of the assignment and adapt the other part to the specific weaknesses you noticed on that weeks lesson.

Get him started with ear training asap, if i could go back in time i would have started by training my ears. The sooner he can ditch tabs, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.

Last edited by Slashiepie : 12-03-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashiepie
Modal soloing.

as much as i expected someone to say it, i nonetheless had a gaffawfest at this

i then adjusted my monocle, took a sip of my tea, and flushed the toilet
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Slashiepie
Banged

I felt like an unoriginal tool by saying it , but i simply had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Hail
kill both bass players

an unoriginal tool posting about an unoriginal tool

also TS just teach him simple songs. it's musical, it can be broken down for theory later, it can be used as a technical or improvisational exercise if you fiddle with it a little - it almost seems silly to say that learning music is simply the best way to, well, learn music.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

If you don't know what to teach, then don't teach. A lot of guitarists get screwed up because they think they have a teacher who is really good, but actually sucks at teaching. They learn bad habits and get set back. Don't teach if you don't know how.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
shreddymcshred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Don't teach if you don't know how.

Somebody tell this guy why this is an illogical statement.
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddymcshred
Somebody tell this guy why this is an illogical statement.

Go ahead. Clue me in.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: