Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
tsg31t

Headphones/earbuds?

So I just decided to get back in to guitar...Been playing on and off for close to 20 years now, never really been that experienced, but i'm going to give it another shot...I'm waaay behind in the latest technology etc...

Anyway...I'm looking for your suggestions on what to have as far earphones or earbuds, for playing electric in my living room...I'm really in to the metalcore stuff right now, and I like playing drop down metal for the most part, so i'm looking for something that can handle the lows, and keep a good distortion without falling out...

Also...Another question I have...What would I need so I can play music off of my computer or ipod, and play along in to the headphones?

I just purchased a pre owned Line-6 Spider II 150 watt head...Pretty new to it's features yet...Not really sure what all I can do with it.

Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks.

Last edited by tsg31t : 12-03-2012 at 01:38 PM.
tsg31t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
tsg31t

Awesome...Thanks...Of each of the ones listed, which one would allow me to use my computer with the easiest functionality? Would like to play along with stuff on you tube...
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz

You'd have to look at the specs on each to be sure, but my bet is on the Tascam or the Boss, then the POD or PX5.

That PARTICULAR Tascam is sold as being able to take samples and help you learn them via slowing the tracks down. It has a memory chip to help with that.

The Boss has a direct link capability.

The thing is, I own 2 PX4s, a PX5, and the Tascam- for a variety of reasons- but have not had the time to really explore all of their features.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

I have the BOSS. The way it works is you can save mp3's on an SD card and then play along to them. You can even slow down/speed up the tracks.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
&baconstrips

What's your budget for headphones?
My personal favourite not-ridiculously-expensive studio headphones are the Fostex T50RP
Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
tsg31t

Kenneth, Thanks...Will check those out....I Was thinking something around or under $100
Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
What's your budget for headphones?
My personal favourite not-ridiculously-expensive studio headphones are the Fostex T50RP

Good pair there.

OP, getting headphones is just like getting an amp or guitar. There is personal preference.

Fo example, Seinheisers are bass heavy, Sony XBRs are bass heavy. Grado's have more pronounced trebles. AKG 240's are a good studio monitor can which means it have a flat frequency response (flatter...).
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
&baconstrips

For the situation I think you should be looking at headphones with a flat frequency response. It should be your equipment colouring your tone, not your headphones. Also, if you ever decide to do some recording, you'll need flat response headphones like the Fostex pair I mentionned. IIRC they're about $100.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Check around to see if you have an outlet mall near you: you can get factory refurbished over the ear headphones from companies like Sony or Bose for as cheap as $5 a pair.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #11
tsg31t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
I have the BOSS. The way it works is you can save mp3's on an SD card and then play along to them. You can even slow down/speed up the tracks.

Thats cool...Are you able to play through these things with out using any of the effects? So you only getting your natural sound from the amp??
Old 12-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #12
tsg31t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz

I went to guitar center today and tried to buy one of these units, and the guys there didn't really seem to understand what i wanted it for...So the one guy ended up talking me in to something else...A mixing board???? So i bought it basically because it saved me over around $80-$90 bucks...

Long story short...i tried it out tonight, and i pretty much found out that its not what i wanted...It does in fact take audio from my computer, and also from the guitar,and put them in to one, in the headphones. but the audio from the guitar sounded like absolute garbage mainly when trying to play distortion....It was waaaaay fuzzzy with a really high pitch crunch, and I couldn't do anything to get rid of it...

Just to make sure it was the mixing board and not the amp i plugged in direct to the amp, and it got rid of it for the most part...

Is this something that anyone can explain??

And also...If I were to use one of the units you suggested above...Am I able to play through it without using any of the effects?...Basically so i can run the guitar naturally through the amp..

Thanks again for the help...Appreciate it.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #13
tsg31t

As far as the headphones I picked out a pair of the Sennheiser HD 280 pro's....The didn't have the ones suggested here...So i went with these...They seem really good...so far i'm impressed with these...
Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Those Sennheisers are nice headphones as far as general use goes, but when listening to a direct feed from a mixing board or amp, they are going to give you an overly-crunchy sound; they're almost too good, and when you're trying to get an accurate representation of your guitar sound through hadphones you don't actually want a perfect duplication. With headphones, the speakers are obviously a lot closer to your ears than if you just played through the amp. That means there's going to be a lot of extra overtones, harmonics and treble that you'll hear through the headphones which you wouldn't hear when playing through your amp normally. This is further exaggerated by the mixing board, because that is likely applying an EQ that would help an amp stand out in a live situation - upping the treble and high-mids.

Problem is, if you buy monitoring headphones then they're no good for other uses, and nobody likes having to buy a different set of headphones for every application.

The trick is to dial in less treble, more mids and more bass when using headphones, and back the volume down a bit (not that you should be blasting your ears with full amp volume through headphones anyway, it's very easy to cause permanent damage to your hearing that way). Since your amp is a modelling amp, try using a generally lower-gain and warmer-sounding model. Your mixer should also have some degree of EQ control to let you turn down the treble.

Last edited by MrFlibble : 12-05-2012 at 03:03 AM.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
dannyalcatraz

Most if not all of those portable devices should have some kind of way to play without the effects, thought don't know if they would be as clean as something that is true bypass.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #16
tsg31t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Those Sennheisers are nice headphones as far as general use goes, but when listening to a direct feed from a mixing board or amp, they are going to give you an overly-crunchy sound; they're almost too good, and when you're trying to get an accurate representation of your guitar sound through hadphones you don't actually want a perfect duplication. With headphones, the speakers are obviously a lot closer to your ears than if you just played through the amp. That means there's going to be a lot of extra overtones, harmonics and treble that you'll hear through the headphones which you wouldn't hear when playing through your amp normally. This is further exaggerated by the mixing board, because that is likely applying an EQ that would help an amp stand out in a live situation - upping the treble and high-mids.

Problem is, if you buy monitoring headphones then they're no good for other uses, and nobody likes having to buy a different set of headphones for every application.

The trick is to dial in less treble, more mids and more bass when using headphones, and back the volume down a bit (not that you should be blasting your ears with full amp volume through headphones anyway, it's very easy to cause permanent damage to your hearing that way). Since your amp is a modelling amp, try using a generally lower-gain and warmer-sounding model. Your mixer should also have some degree of EQ control to let you turn down the treble.

Thanks for your reply... Appreciate it...
I messed with the mixer for about 3 hours, and just couldn't get rid of it...I had the highs, and mids all the way down on the eq, and it was still there...Played with the amp too, and couldn't really do anything with that as well...I'm pretty sure i tried about everything...I dont know if i ended up with a low quality mixer or what?( Alto Zephyr Series ZMX862 6-Channel Compact Mixer) But for use with the headphones anyway, i don't think it's going to work out.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #17
tsg31t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Most if not all of those portable devices should have some kind of way to play without the effects, thought don't know if they would be as clean as something that is true bypass.

Cool...I'm really thinking the Line-6 Pod is what id be looking for...It seems like it might be the easiest to use by the looks of it...Had lots of good reviews also..
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
|Long|
String Theory

I don't agree that studio headphones aren't good for other things. I have a pair of AKG 240's (100$ at a GC) and I primarily use them for music. I ENJOY the flat response, others don't. One can argue that a studio headphone will give you the truest representation of what the artist wanted.

Just to mention though, if you are using cans as the lineout of an AMP vs a digital modeling system on the computer, you are taking the signal before it gets to the speaker IIRC. That is a different story, as the speaker is meant to colour the tone of what the amp produced.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.

Last edited by |Long| : 12-05-2012 at 12:05 PM.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
&baconstrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
I don't agree that studio headphones aren't good for other things. I have a pair of AKG 240's (100$ at a GC) and I primarily use them for music. I ENJOY the flat response, others don't. One can argue that a studio headphone will give you the truest representation of what the artist wanted.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
Just to mention though, if you are using cans as the lineout of an AMP vs a digital modeling system on the computer, you are taking the signal before it gets to the speaker IIRC. That is a different story, as the speaker is meant to colour the tone of what the amp produced.

If you're using headphones, it's best to use something with cabinet modeling. I suggested flat response headphones with the impression that whatever he chose would have cabinet modeling. I'm pretty sure the Line 6 Pod stuff has all that.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
tsg31t

You guys are gonna laugh...I found out the problem I had with the mixer...

Due to my lack of knowledge about how this stuff all really works, it didn't dawn on me right away, but I found out that when I was running the amp to the mixer, I was using the wrong port!! I had it connected off of the back of the head from the speaker output!! Obviously this is not the thing to do, being that it is additionally supplying power to mixer! Pretty stupid on my part...But again, I haven't been in this game for around 10 years...

So I switched the cord and connected to the headphone port...And whaalla...It sounds great!

I'm just lucky i didn't burn out the mixer!

Also...The headphones sound excellent, and fairly natural in my opinion.

Rate This Thread: