Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Pregowski92

Question Recording drums for my guitar demos - i'm not a drummer. help.

Hi guys, in the process of recording some of my songs. I've got down the vocals, rhythm guitar parts, lead guitar parts. The demos are seriously lacking without drums though. I don't actually play the drums nor own/able to record drums. But i'm guessing there's gotta be a way to do it without an actual drummer with all the software/techniques available nowadays?!

For most of my songs i've got an idea of how i want the drums to sound, it's really just getting those ideas out...

I own FL Studio, and i'm using that for the recording/mixing process, only because i'm quite familiar and competent with it. I've already tried messing around with some of the kits there, but they're fairly shit... and don't really sound good or realistic in the mix.

Another thing, there's quite a few tempo changes etc. in my recordings, it's not all the same driving tempo, which makes it hard for FL studio drum patterns to work well.

Anyway guys, help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!
Pregowski92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
steve987

Theres a few free VSTi's you could use for drums, which work on MIDI inputs, you can input through a keyboard, or more simply just click in the notes on the software (I don't know FL Studio but I'm assuming it works like any other DAW) I'm sure there's a thread with a list, but I can't find it anywhere, and besides there's always google, jsut search around 'til you find something you like, and if you're the kind of software pirating guy, I'm sure there's torrents somewhere for EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer, both of which are very expensive, but realistic sounding VSTi's for drums. Good Luck!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Tune my fork

my favorite is addictive drums
Tune my fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Look up Drummix Beta. It's free, and may be what you're looking for.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
chatterbox272

You could also try making the drum parts and exporting them from Hydrogen Drum Machine. I find it really good to make my MIDI patterns there then export the MIDI so I can use it with REAPER and EZDrummer, and one of my friends has fond some hydrogen kits he likes and exports the WAV files into his DAW.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Pfft, you kids with Addictive Drums & EZDrummer, spending more money on a crappy program than you have to.

Look into Steven Slate Drums. Its $99 (which is cheaper than you can get Addictive or EZDrummer from most places), has some of the best samples you can get and you won't be pissed off with it after a while.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Pfft, you kids with Addictive Drums & EZDrummer, spending more money on a crappy program than you have to.

Look into Steven Slate Drums. Its $99 (which is cheaper than you can get Addictive or EZDrummer from most places), has some of the best samples you can get and you won't be pissed off with it after a while.

EZDrummer is crap.
EZDrummer expansion packs in SD2.0, on the other hand, are very good. Seconding SSD4 though. I should get that.

Oh, and to the guy further up suggesting piracy - don't. Grounds for a ban.
Originally Posted by gregs1020
I've said it before, nothing says metal like a grill you can bounce a bottle of Jack Daniels off.
What can you learn in 20 days?
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #8
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened

Thank you

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
EZDrummer is crap.
EZDrummer expansion packs in SD2.0, on the other hand, are very good. Seconding SSD4 though. I should get that.

I've never messed too deeply with SD2.0 though I've heard good things about it. I acquired a copy at one point, messed around with it but I didn't really dive deep enough into it to get a feel for it. The $300 price tag for a legal copy pretty much kept me away from it.

Even then, with Slate being $99 for the EX and you've got more than enough with it to record a good sounding drums out of the box, its a huge value especially since EZDrummer is around the same price most of the time.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Eliesor

I most like crazy drummer
Eliesor is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: