Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
jimbob78

Phobia of needles.

I have a medical in a few days for a job I'm starting. They want to check immunization dates, and do a blood test. Unfortunately I'm terrified of needles, and have signed the contract so I now have the job. This isn't a case of not liking needles, or thinking that it will hurt. I don't mind blood either. I just literally cannot deal with needles.
I'm pretty sure these are required for me to be signed off as "Fit to work."

I need the job though.

What the hell can I do?

Getting pretty stressed just thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

jimbob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
theogonia777
Professional Musician

What can you do? Quit being a wuss, that's what. I love getting needles at the doctor's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
im not mental
How tough are ya?

i have the same fear. just close your eyes and take deep breaths the whole time.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
jimbob78

I literally cannot do this. I wouldn't say it makes me a wuss either. It's a genuine phobia. You wouldn't tell someone depressed to "Cheer the **** up" would you? I can't even make myself go there in the knowledge of this.

Quote:
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
JackWhiteIsButts
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by im not mental
i have the same fear. just close your eyes and take deep breaths the whole time.

But if your eyes are closed how do you know the doctor won't stick you in the jugular or the eyeball or the uterus? I always make sure the doctor is aligning the needle above the veign, I don't trust em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I hope there will be more mass shootings. At least 4-5 a week. I want it so that everyone is personally affected.
JackWhiteIsButts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
jimbob78

I'm deadly serious though. Is this any alternative solution?

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
But if your eyes are closed how do you know the doctor won't stick you in the jugular or the eyeball or the uterus? I always make sure the doctor is aligning the needle above the veign, I don't trust em.

Like this?

Edit: ^ Not really. If they need a blood sample then there's only really one way they can do it. Most GPs and phobia-therapists are very familiar with a phobia of needles though, maybe you should go talk to one about it?

Last edited by Todd Hart : 12-03-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Todd Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Carnivean
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob78
I literally cannot do this. I wouldn't say it makes me a wuss either. It's a genuine phobia. You wouldn't tell someone depressed to "Cheer the **** up" would you? I can't even make myself go there in the knowledge of this.

Don't mind that guy lol. A phobia is serious, and they can make your daily life dysfunctional. If it continues to be a big problem, you'll need to see a mental health professional. Needle phobias are commonly treated, have no worry.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
JackWhiteIsButts
UG Senior Member

Yeah, only instead of a fMRI machine thing it would be a grumpy middleaged family physician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I hope there will be more mass shootings. At least 4-5 a week. I want it so that everyone is personally affected.
JackWhiteIsButts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

If you have good veins, ask for the baby/little kid needle. It's called a 'butterfly needle' here in the US, at least in my experience. I always ask for that and it barely hurts. As long as the nurse says your veins are easy enough to see/work with, they'll usually oblige. Especially if you're borderline peeing yourself, which if you're anything like me, you probably are.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid McCall
If you have good veins, ask for the baby/little kid needle. It's called a 'butterfly needle' here in the US, at least in my experience. I always ask for that and it barely hurts. As long as the nurse says your veins are easy enough to see/work with, they'll usually oblige. Especially if you're borderline peeing yourself, which if you're anything like me, you probably are.

Normal needles barely hurt.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
jimbob78

It's nothing to do with pain or blood. I could quite comfortably cut my arm (if I had to, not in a deranged way :P ). I just can't do needles, in any form.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Niamorg

Maybe you could talk to the nurse before anything to see if there's another way to do the blood test? I know that in some countries, instead of using needles, they slightly touch the tip of your finger with an appropriate tool, in order to obtain a few drops of blood.
Niamorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
jimbob78

Might be worth a go. But immunization jabs too. I'm scared I'll lose the job. I'm far from the only person to apply. Couldn't they hand me a scalpel and let me go crazy? lol

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
sebastian_96
I spared no expense

Pfft, I have diabetes. I have (at minimum) 4 needles a day along with pricking my fingertips for blood sugar readings. I also have regular blood tests at the pathology.

But I'm afraid of spiders so I get where you are coming from. But the only word of advice is to just do it. Slap yourself in the face, hard, and get your shit.

the muffin!
sebastian_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
What can you do? Quit being a wuss, that's what. I love getting needles at the doctor's.

This, all of it...
Needles are my jam

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClockHouseBand

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Highelf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
jimbob78

Really doesn't ****ing help. The fact that you don't have this phobia makes you lucky, not tough.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #18
Niamorg

I agree with sebastian_96. The best way to go through it, if there's no other way to do the test, would be to think really hard about that job you want and why you want it. It's not an uncommon phobia so chances are the nurse will assist you throughout the whole thing. Just bite your tongue, and everything's gonna be fine.
Niamorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamorg
Maybe you could talk to the nurse before anything to see if there's another way to do the blood test? I know that in some countries, instead of using needles, they slightly touch the tip of your finger with an appropriate tool, in order to obtain a few drops of blood.

I think they're called a lancet, and they only take blood from the capillaries, which might not be adequate as it has a different makeup slightly to blood in the veins.

TS, I think you should just address the problem - either by talking to the nurse about alleviating fear a few weeks beforehand or by just doing it. You'll need to have injections at other points of your life if you end up in hospital, want to go abroad, need another blood test at some point (and you will need another test sometime in your life) etc. If you avoid it then it's going to haunt you for the rest of your life.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
jimbob78

I literally can't make myself. And the thought of dealing with it freaks me out, as that ultimately leads to the same thing.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: